PDA

View Full Version : eBay's New Picture Service

trsent
07-21-2011, 10:46 PM
Anyone else notice listing that now show five pictures in small buttons, and arrows going down to see the other pictures with the auctions? Really a terrible idea. Wasn't it great when all 12 pictures showed at once so the potential buyer/bidder could see all photos at once without any scrolling that many users will miss?

eBay is always trying to tweak things to make things better, but this one is a bad idea. I'm excited about main titles going to 80 characters in September, but this new photo display really hurts more than it could possibly help.

otismalibu
07-21-2011, 11:20 PM
I'm excited about main titles going to 80 characters in September

http://blogs.covchurch.org/revive/files/2008/08/the-new-phone-books-are-here3.jpg

trsent
07-22-2011, 08:40 AM
http://blogs.covchurch.org/revive/files/2008/08/the-new-phone-books-are-here3.jpg

I miss Steve Martin when he could pull off this type of role.

34swtns
07-22-2011, 09:19 AM
:p Right Greg, those "extra 25 characters" were needed for titles from the first year I used ebay (1999) and before. That's been a huge pain in the ass all along and they're just now figuring that out?

Obviously, revenue is down for them to actually start to address issues that they've refused to address in the past.

trsent
07-22-2011, 09:25 AM
:p Right Greg, those "extra 25 characters" were needed for titles from the first year I used ebay (1999) and before. That's been a huge pain in the ass all along and they're just now figuring that out?

Obviously, revenue is down for them to actually start to address issues that they've refused to address in the past.

They lived on us paying an extra 50-cents per listing for an extra line for many, many years. I still don't understand if the extra line shows up in the search engines or not. I think sometimes it does, but other times is doesn't.

I think Greg's joke was that me getting excited over the 25 extra characters is like someone getting excited over their name finally being listed in the phone book:

Navin R. Johnson: The new phone book's here! The new phone book's here!
Harry Hartounian: Boy, I wish I could get that excited about nothing.
Navin R. Johnson: Nothing? Are you kidding? Page 73 - Johnson, Navin R.! I'm somebody now! Millions of people look at this book everyday! This is the kind of spontaneous publicity - your name in print - that makes people. I'm in print! Things are going to start happening to me now.

[the Sniper points to Navin's name in the phone book]

Sniper: Johnson, Navin R... sounds like a typical bastard.

34swtns
07-22-2011, 09:32 AM
Love that movie.

"I'm somebody now"!!!! :p

otismalibu
07-22-2011, 09:41 AM
I think Greg's joke was that me getting excited over the 25 extra characters is like someone getting excited over their name finally being listed in the phone book:

Hey, many times I strategically filled the auction title line, and altered it during the course of the auction to try and get more hits. :)

I never used the secondary title line, so the extra characters will be gravy.

gnishiyama
07-22-2011, 12:01 PM
Wasn't it great when all 12 pictures showed at once so the potential buyer/bidder could see all photos at once without any scrolling that many users will miss?

It too me a while too as a buyer to catch on to that. I would wonder where
the other pertinent photos would be and then realized I had to scroll down.
I agree it's not a good look for the seller.

Maybe you can use the extra 25 words to write "Please scroll down for
additional pictures.":D

Goh Nishiyama

trsent
07-22-2011, 12:44 PM
It too me a while too as a buyer to catch on to that. I would wonder where
the other pertinent photos would be and then realized I had to scroll down.
I agree it's not a good look for the seller.

Maybe you can use the extra 25 words to write "Please scroll down for
additional pictures.":D

Goh Nishiyama

That would be good use of the extra words.

I just don't know who is making decisions to hide pictures - The novice looking at the listing will completely miss the extra pictures. I guess that is why eBay is a multi-billion dollar company, huh?

both-teams-played-hard
07-22-2011, 05:15 PM
I assign HTML codes and list as many photos as I like, as large as I like , for free. Just use imageshack.

otismalibu
07-22-2011, 05:22 PM
I assign HTML codes and list as many photos as I like, as large as I like , for free. Just use imageshack.

Yep.
I just use the one free eBay pic for the search results thumbnail.

trsent
07-22-2011, 06:37 PM

Yep.

Sounds like a lot of extra work, isn't it?

Having an eBay store we get 12 photos for free. Is there any reason using HTML codes could save time and work?

otismalibu
07-22-2011, 07:00 PM
Having an eBay store we get 12 photos for free. Is there any reason using HTML codes could save time and work?

Probably not if you get that many freebies with a store. But for us non-store sellers it's an easy way to add as many photos as you want, any size, for free.

You're basically just copying and pasting code from your photo hosting site. Add some basic tags for centering and spacing and you're golden. And if you get your auction up and running and realize your photo is too big, you can just go to your host site and resize it there.

both-teams-played-hard
07-22-2011, 07:22 PM
I have a store, but I like the non-clickable photos. Just personal preference. I use eBay's photos, sometimes, cause they're free.

ferro39
07-23-2011, 11:25 AM
Yep.

ive always wondered how to do that.

so you're saying just copy and paste the "HTML code" link into the body of the auction? or is it "HTML thumbnail" or something else?

otismalibu
07-23-2011, 11:49 AM
ive always wondered how to do that.

so you're saying just copy and paste the "HTML code" link into the body of the auction? or is it "HTML thumbnail" or something else?

I use eBay's one free pic and then isn't it like $0.35 to have the thumbnail preview? I just load that pic normally from my computer.

Then, hit the HTML tab for the description and paste your image links from Photobucket, Flickr, etc.

Usually, I type the description first, then switch to HTML to add the photos. You can go back and revise things after it's running.

I'm sure this isn't the most efficient way to list items, but I only sell the odd item.

trsent
07-24-2011, 02:19 AM
Well, listing on eBay right now, and I noticed the pictures are back to displaying all 12 thumbnails at once again, like they were before. I guess someone realized their ideas were stupid and would hurt visibility of any item eBay would be hoping to earn commission for selling.