PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl Wilson Footballs.....

miracleonice80
07-21-2011, 02:44 PM
Hi.....i Need Some Assistance On Super Bowl Branded Game Balls From Wilson......i Believe That Wilson Began Putting The Super Bowl Logo On The Footballs For Super Bowl Xx In 1985-86........if Anyone Has Any Info On What Else Was On Those Game Balls, Would Be Appreciated. Did They Put The Team Names On The Games Balls, Or Just "afc Vs Nfc"? Thanks......tony

NEFAN
07-21-2011, 02:58 PM
SB XX was the first, team names were on it.

Jags Fan Dan
07-22-2011, 05:43 AM
I actually have one from 85-86. It also has "/1000" on it.

NEFAN
07-22-2011, 11:34 AM
I actually have one from 85-86. It also has "/1000" on it.

That could be one made in New Orleans during ther buildup to the game. I have one from Hall of Fame weekend 2000 #'d to 100 that was made in a booth that weekend.

BrianK
07-22-2011, 01:27 PM
I'm still learning, but here's what I've observed. Sometimes they'll make balls without team names to get a head start on production before the teams are known. Then they switch to team names. "Game balls" continue to be made for months or years after the game. Some of these include the final score.

Tons of balls in Wilson's catalog. I haven't seen one of the new balls from SB V through X. Curious how close they are to the originals. Hopefully not too close.
http://www.wilson.com/en-us/football/footballs/#/?filters=58060

miracleonice80
07-23-2011, 07:45 PM
So....we can say without any uncertainty that when the ball was in play in Super Bowl XX back in January 1986, that the names of the teams were on the ball? Not Afc vs Nfc?

miracleonice80
07-24-2011, 09:04 PM
Also, what does it mean when it says "BLEM" on the football?

sox83cubs84
07-24-2011, 09:26 PM
Also, what does it mean when it says "BLEM" on the football?

That's likely a notation indicating "blemished"...a professional issued ball that, due to minor defects, was deemed unfit for actual game play. Rawlings has sometimes stamped NL/AL/MLB baseballs with that notation if they're slightly short of game quality. In baseball, though, Blem balls have sometimes found their way into batting practice usage.

Dave Miedema

RaiderNationPDX
07-25-2011, 12:18 AM
Agreed. My understanding is that Wilson stamps "BLEM" on balls at the factory that fail the final quality check, usually for mild cosmetic defects such as indistinct stampings, chipped foil (for 1993-present balls), or discolorations in the leather. They're structurally sound balls, but they're not distributed to NFL teams (at least for game use). I have seen them sold in bulk to rec and semipro teams, though.

miracleonice80
07-25-2011, 08:05 PM
I have a good number of vintage 1960's and '70's NFL and AFL footballs.....I am wondering which football I should get for the current look of the NFL game ball. Do I just go out to a sporting goods store and get a Wilson Authentic game ball off the shelf? Or, do I try to get a game used football form this time period? Any thoughts? F1100 is the number to look for, right? Or is that the retail number?

cohibasmoker
07-25-2011, 08:26 PM
I have a good number of vintage 1960's and '70's NFL and AFL footballs.....I am wondering which football I should get for the current look of the NFL game ball. Do I just go out to a sporting goods store and get a Wilson Authentic game ball off the shelf? Or, do I try to get a game used football form this time period? Any thoughts? F1100 is the number to look for, right? Or is that the retail number?

A F1100 vs F1000 football is basically the same football - it's an accounting thing so Wilson's can track and bill for footballs that were sent to sent to retail outlets (F1100) or those sent to the NFL teams (F1000).

Brian, I believe you are correct. Wilson starts producing SB footballs pretty early. The 1st run will have the date and location. The 2nd run will list the date and location as well as the teams and the 3rd run will have the date, location, teams and final score.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

miracleonice80
07-26-2011, 09:00 AM
I just saw a Paul Tagliabue NFL Wilson football with an "ER" stamping on it.....any ideas to what that stands for? Thanks

BrianK
07-26-2011, 11:15 AM

I don't think you should just buy a ball at the store. There's nothing wrong with them. They'd give the right look. But you'd pay a hundred bucks. For the same amount, you may as well get a ball that was at least issued to a team. It will have the team's name stamped on. Here's an example of one that recently sold on ebay for a good price.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130549033715

If you want to take it a step further, a game ball with documentation can be had for around $200. Here are a couple of examples. Happy collecting.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280713660815
http://www.josportsco.com/view_product.asp?ProductID=5042

miracleonice80
07-30-2011, 09:33 PM
Great idea....might as well get the team issued ball....good point! Thanks