PDA

View Full Version : Jeter foul ball from 3000 hit AB to be auctioned

Ripken
07-19-2011, 11:03 PM
Any guesses on final bid?

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/mears-to-auction-foul-ball-from-jeters-3000th-hit-at-bat/

CollectGU
07-20-2011, 08:26 AM
I think that MEARS is trying to "hard sell" the significance of the ball via their article in an effort to capitalize on the current hysteria of the moment ( trying to strike while the iron is still hot). It really doesn't signify anything expect a foul ball hit by Jeter on the day he hit his 3,000 hit. MEARS calls it "one of the most historic modern yankee balls ever offered", I'm not buying it...I think iot's worth 3-5k tops, I would bet it goes higher given the current hysteria and actually depeciates in value from it's selling price over the years..

Dave

ncbadges
07-20-2011, 09:20 AM
How much is a handful of grass that was in the outfield the day Jeter hit his 3000th? Or a bottle of air that Jeter may possibly have breathed as he was hitting it? I'm all about the moment, but GOOD LORD, they are RAPING the moment.

Its a shame that "the moment" is being shadowed by "the dollar".:(

ncb

mbenga28
07-20-2011, 09:41 AM
I'm all about the moment, but GOOD LORD, they are RAPING the moment.

Its a shame that "the moment" is being shadowed by "the dollar".:(

ncb

you don't say?

http://oi51.tinypic.com/261dl4w.jpg

frikativ54
07-20-2011, 10:32 AM
Any guesses on final bid?

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/mears-to-auction-foul-ball-from-jeters-3000th-hit-at-bat/

I would guess $7,000. People are truly caught up in the hysteria. It's not even the actual ball, but it's as close as many will get to owning a "piece of history." :rolleyes:

momen55
07-20-2011, 11:41 AM
it is just a ball. it means nothing. it was used in the game, ok. but give me a break people!

sox83cubs84
07-20-2011, 04:20 PM
It reminds me, to a degree, of a similar over-hype for a ball on Waveland Avenue in 1999. It wasn't a regular ballhawk, but one of the many hangers-on that come and go on the street corner. After Mark McGwire broke the single-season homer record in '98 this guy offers me a "historic item" that he chased down the first time the Cardinals visited Wrigley Field in '98. It was a Mark McGwire home run ball. Now, knowing that Ken Vangeloff grabbed the only McGwire street home run in a game at Wrigley that year, I asked him how he got that home run ball (Ken is steadfast about not selling or trading his game home runs). As it turns out, as I figured, it was a BP home run...BUT...it was "valuable" because it was the first BP home run he hit on the street in 1998, according to the owner. I shook my head, said no thanks, and walked away.

Dave Miedema

cjw
07-21-2011, 01:03 AM
Dont care if people want to bid on this ball or not (I would't bid) but this quote in the story make Mears look silly, if it's true:

"MEARS examined the ball under a black light and discovered the covert three-digit number applied to discourage possible counterfeiting during milestone achievements."

Almost all MLB game balls are quality stamped at the factory when made, and the digits visible under the backlight in both the photo of the Jeter foul ball from the article and the balls shown at the end of this blog post here (from Citi Field game this week) are nothing more than quality control stamps.

http://snaggingbaseballs.mlblogs.com/2011/07/20/71611-at-citi-field/

Dach0sen0ne
07-21-2011, 08:11 AM
I would think these would get the real $$$$.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVvhboh5lik

ncbadges
07-21-2011, 11:47 AM
I wonder if the 3000th was one of those?

ncb

gnishiyama
07-21-2011, 02:24 PM
I would think these would get the real $$$$.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVvhboh5likThe ball being auctioned by MEARS WAS specially marked by MLB prior to
being used.

I do know after personally speaking with an MLB that they do have
some sort of special marking on the ball that only they can tell
if a ball is the actual record ball.

Long story short, I bought one of these specially marked ball fouled
off by Ichiro back in 2004 when he was chasing the hit record, on Ebay.
All it had was the S- and a number (can't remember off hand)

I sent it off to MLB and they were able to authenticate to the exact
date and inning it was used. It matched the letter of provenance the
seller gave to me with the ball. It took about 3 months to get the ball
back but it came back MLB authenticated with a hologram and letter.
However when I asked how they knew, they told me they couldn't
disclose. I guess that's the whole point.

Goh Nishiyama

PS I have attached a picture of a Jeter ball from his chase of
the Yankees hit record. Its stated as "game-used" since it was
in the umpires ball bag. If you check down the numbers, the
later ones are just listed as game-ready. The term "used" is
used loosely, similar to a pitcher who didn't pitch's jersey,
but at least the it's described.

yankees24
02-06-2012, 11:14 AM
does anyone here have any of the other 48 marked baseballs? although unused do they hold any significance or value?

yankees24
02-12-2012, 09:16 AM
there was a discussion on another forum that game used members might want to be aware of if this shows up at an auction in the future. it's one of the specially marked baseballs that was authenticated by MLB as being a game ready baseball that the owner added a black bat mark to give it an appearance as being game used. it's really sad to see a nice piece of memorabilia destroyed like this, even sadder that this wonderful moment for Jeter and baseball gets tainted by money.

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/newuploads/5n19e.jpg

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/newuploads/d5aji.jpg

salmon
02-16-2012, 01:22 PM
there was a discussion on another forum that game used members might want to be aware of if this shows up at an auction in the future. it's one of the specially marked baseballs that was authenticated by MLB as being a game ready baseball that the owner added a black bat mark to give it an appearance as being game used. it's really sad to see a nice piece of memorabilia destroyed like this, even sadder that this wonderful moment for Jeter and baseball gets tainted by money.

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/newuploads/d5aji.jpg

In David Price's post game interview he said he saw J3 marking on one of the baseballs. I don't know if I would take his word for it though because he said the homerun baseball was J1 and that was the foul ball auctioned.

http://www.experiencefestival.com/wp/videos/rays-price-on-allowing-jeters-3000th-hit/RShZy39ZXH4

This was one of the most highly secured and scrutinized moments in baseball history and it his highly doubtful MLB Authenticated would have incorrectly documented the description of the specially marked baseballs.

J7 is the homerun baseball

http://images.search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0PDoTFYRz1PZyoA50KjzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTBtdXFkOWt hBHNlYwNmcC1hdHRyaWIEc2xrA2ZpbWc-/SIG=16nnuhaae/EXP=1329444824/**http%3a//l.yimg.com/iu/api/res/1.2/YPllT2HqTyiSJuKxOOihvA--/YXBwaWQ9eXZpZGVvO2NyPTA7ZHg9MDtkeT0wO2ZpPXVsY3JvcA--/http%3a//d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/ac/42/fullj.661ac923bde86db1948e8a5bb33ba6b1/87923730.jpg

Those who keep track of this, there was someone who commented on another online article that they are in possession of the other foul ball given to a small girl by the Yankees ball boy.

"My daughter is the “young girl” given the foul ball hit by Jeter the pitch before he went over for #3000. As a huge Yankees (and Jeter) fan, July 9, 2011 was a magical day for myself and my family. Not only was it the first time we attended a Yankees game (my daughters’ first MLB game), but we ended up witnessing Derek Jeter make baseball history. To top it off, my eight year old walked out of Yankee Stadium with a piece of that history in her hand. In short, this “J2″ ball is priceless, and will retain a place of honor in our family for generations to come. This ball represents one of the best days of our lives, and will stay off of the auction block."

joelsabi
02-16-2012, 04:18 PM
In the database the last marked ball is J49 and there are 46 baseballs authenticated.

So maybe the J3 was used afterall as three balls out of four baseballs are accounted for. J3 is the only one list in the MLB database and was fouled to the backstop. The pitcher seems to corroborate the story in his interview and J1 kinda looks like J7.

Maybe the umpire was superstitious and select J3 (jeter number) and lucky 7.

Scenario

fouled back (J3) 2-1 count
fouled to right side on 3-2 count (J1) Sold by Mears
hit foul to left side batboy given to kid (J2)
homerun (J7)

Unless there is a J50 baseball but someone reported there were only 48 baseballs.

salmon
02-16-2012, 04:37 PM
In the database the last marked ball is J49 and there are 46 baseballs authenticated.

So maybe the J3 was used afterall as three balls out of four baseballs are accounted for. J3 is the only one list in the MLB database and was fouled to the backstop. The pitcher seems to corroborate the story in his interview and J1 kinda looks like J7.

Maybe the umpire was superstitious and select J3 (jeter number) and lucky 7.

Scenario

fouled back (J3) 2-1 count
fouled to right side on 3-2 count (J1) Sold by Mears
hit foul to left side batboy given to kid (J2)
homerun (J7)

Unless there is a J50 baseball but someone reported there were only 48 baseballs.

Correct, only 48 baseballs were marked for the moment. I believe this photo is from the MLB Fan Cave where they were on display before the milestone.

http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/342065861.jpg?Expires=1329429044&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=aVJpNzMRwHaYUIiUhBlAFTCoZBP4e24BSZoi8Sqf Y~Pl0nuvXHcNFileabA8rIoxyjysYCykSoysfMfEeuEMhKweuk zDPl4bZHqEvDguU55vYciq6-W8Xl7svv6hVnneNsaRjASxRppmsV~3j4aq-oH~vWMjNC9VB~tladceph0_

joelsabi
02-16-2012, 05:06 PM
Correct, only 48 baseballs were marked for the moment. I believe this photo is from the MLB Fan Cave where they were on display before the milestone.

http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/342065861.jpg?Expires=1329429044&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=aVJpNzMRwHaYUIiUhBlAFTCoZBP4e24BSZoi8Sqf Y~Pl0nuvXHcNFileabA8rIoxyjysYCykSoysfMfEeuEMhKweuk zDPl4bZHqEvDguU55vYciq6-W8Xl7svv6hVnneNsaRjASxRppmsV~3j4aq-oH~vWMjNC9VB~tladceph0_

i counted wrong. 45 chase baseball authenticated out of the 48 baseballs are in the MLB database as game ready. (FJ645131 to FJ645175). R1, R2, and and R7 are missing from the consecutive holograms.

I could not find the auctual 3000th baseball but maybe someone knows where it is located on the database. So one of the baseballs must have to been used even tho it was authenticated as game ready and likely the baseball hit to the backstop. I am bit surprised that there was no description for the missing fourth baseball from the yankee authenticator since there have been trial runs from a recent chase events, ie. Arod's 600 homerun.

salmon
02-16-2012, 05:14 PM
i counted wrong. 45 chase baseball authenticated out of the 48 baseballs are in the MLB database as game ready. (FJ645131 to FJ645175). R1, R2, and and R7 are missing from the consecutive holograms.

I could not find the auctual 3000th baseball but maybe someone knows where it is located on the database. So one of the baseballs must have to been used even tho it was authenticated as game ready and likely the baseball hit to the backstop. I am bit surprised that there was no description for the missing fourth baseball from the yankee authenticator since there have been trial runs from a recent chase events, ie. Arod's 600 homerun.

I am assuming that both the foul ball hit to the backstop and 3000 hit homerun were authenticated while the game was in progress as game used and FJ645131 through FJ645175 after the game was completed, thus the "game ready" description. MLB Authenticated on Twitter usually posts photos of milestone items, but the 3000 hit baseball is conspicously not shown.

joelsabi
02-16-2012, 05:23 PM
I am assuming that both the foul ball hit to the backstop and 3000 hit homerun were authenticated while the game was in progress as game used and FJ645131 through FJ645175 after the game was completed, thus the "game ready" description. MLB Authenticated on Twitter usually posts photos of milestone items, but the 3000 hit baseball is conspicously not shown.

thats what I was trying to find out if I could find the 3000th hit baseball. I am assuming that there is no foul ball authenticated next to it because then there would be an extra baseball which doesn't make sense.

im thinking that the J3 was the first baseball used at the Jeter at bat.

what i am saying is it may not have been doctored as member yankees24 stated

MLB~NUT
02-16-2012, 07:04 PM
Truely who cares about a foul ball or even a game used ball!!!! gimme a break

salmon
02-16-2012, 09:39 PM
thats what I was trying to find out if I could find the 3000th hit baseball. I am assuming that there is no foul ball authenticated next to it because then there would be an extra baseball which doesn't make sense.

im thinking that the J3 was the first baseball used at the Jeter at bat.

what i am saying is it may not have been doctored as member yankees24 stated

Joel, I took a look at the MLB Authentication database and you are correct with all the remainder marked "J" baseballs accounted for and entered as "game ready", with the omittance of 1,2 and 7. It does surprise me that MLB Authentication would make this error, considering how high profile a matter this was and Major League Baseball taking all the measures to ensure proper authentication for Jeter's 3000 hit and other items. Does this mean that the first baseball used that was fouled to the backstop was not authenticated immediately after it was retrieved by the ball boy and taken out of play? I wonder if this has been brought to their attention, regardless MLB Authenticated will probably leave the description as is.

Which brings me to my second point, and a concern. While it is possible that J3 was the first ball used during the at-bat, consider this. Because the sequence of how the baseballs were used during the at-bat was not in order, ?, 1,2 and 7, couldn't someone in possession of any of the other forty five baseballs take a black bat, take a nice swing at their ball, leave a ball mark and claim it as being the mislabeled baseball? I think this is what yankees24 was suggesting that any of the baseballs, because no one knows which was the actual game used since all are described as game ready, could be manipulated and passed off as the first baseball used during the 3000 hit at-bat.

Also, how does this error affect the value of the legitimate baseball? Say if you were the owner and you wanted to sell it in the future, how would you explain the MLB Authentication game ready vs. the blatant ball mark? Without proper photo or video proof, it would be very hard to convince prospective buyers your word and that MLB Authentication was incorrect.

MLB~NUT, some collectors might arguably consider the first pitch foul ball from the at-bat the most valuable baseball from that game after Jeter's homerun. Since it was used in the actual at-bat and is the only other one besides Jeter's homerun that has been MLB Authenticated (though unfortunately, incorrectly). Did Steiner Sports obtain the entire set of forty-five marked baseballs to sell?

salmon
02-17-2012, 08:08 AM

Looking at J3 baseball again, I noticed that the Steiner Sports hologram says "used" and not "issued." Is this common for them to put on a game ready baseball? Isn't there a Steiner representative who posts here? Maybe he can provide more information, especially if they witnessed and documented any of these baseballs as originally having a bat marking when they received them from the Yankees. They should have an interest in this matter since their name is on the product.

joelsabi
02-17-2012, 03:10 PM
Which brings me to my second point, and a concern. While it is possible that J3 was the first ball used during the at-bat, consider this. Because the sequence of how the baseballs were used during the at-bat was not in order, ?, 1,2 and 7, couldn't someone in possession of any of the other forty five baseballs take a black bat, take a nice swing at their ball, leave a ball mark and claim it as being the mislabeled baseball? I think this is what yankees24 was suggesting that any of the baseballs, because no one knows which was the actual game used since all are described as game ready, could be manipulated and passed off as the first baseball used during the 3000 hit at-bat.

First. I think the sequence of the baseball can be useful. If the baseballs available at one at bat are completely random (J4, J5, J34, J48, J23, J36, J37) ,rather than controlled (J1-J7), it make the duty of the umpire more difficult than it needs to be unless the baseball order is scripted by MLB which it may well be.

Assuming it's contolled, I think the sequence among the available baseballs would be useful. We know that this was not the case since we know that R7 was the fourth baseball used.

If the baseballs are totally random, then the first baseball could be any of the 45 baseballs. We know one of these baseballs (R3) already has bat marks so if anyone finds another baseball with bat marks from the other 44 baseballs, the integrity of all the baseballs as game used is shot down unless there is any documentation to prove that it was game used.

If the baseballs are controlled (7 baseball, 1 in the pitcher's hand, 6 in the umpires pouch to start the at bat) then only J3, J4, J5, or J6 could be the first baseball that was in the hand of Price at the beginning of the at bat. You can notice that Price threw the ball that was on the mound out of play and received a new baseball from the catcher. Price looks at the baseballs to see the marking. Price says its J3 so maybe that's the question to ask the umpire who has no financial interest in the matter. Again if R4, R5 or R6 have a bat mark, the integrity of the fourth missing baseball being game used is shot unless the umpire can verify the marked number itself.

In the grand scheme of things, the only thing that matters is that Jeter got back J7 and I can care less whether MLB authenticated the baseball because I doubt we will ever see that baseball for sale and hopefully it can be displayed at Yankee stadium or the HOF at a later date.

salmon
02-17-2012, 04:19 PM
First. I think the sequence of the baseball can be useful. If the baseballs available at one at bat are completely random (J4, J5, J34, J48, J23, J36, J37) ,rather than controlled (J1-J7), it make the duty of the umpire more difficult than it needs to be unless the baseball order is scripted by MLB which it may well be.

Assuming it's contolled, I think the sequence among the available baseballs would be useful. We know that this was not the case since we know that R7 was the fourth baseball used.

If the baseballs are totally random, then the first baseball could be any of the 45 baseballs. We know one of these baseballs (R3) already has bat marks so if anyone finds another baseball with bat marks from the other 44 baseballs, the integrity of all the baseballs as game used is shot down unless there is any documentation to prove that it was game used.

If the baseballs are controlled (7 baseball, 1 in the pitcher's hand, 6 in the umpires pouch to start the at bat) then only J3, J4, J5, or J6 could be the first baseball that was in the hand of Price at the beginning of the at bat. You can notice that Price threw the ball that was on the mound out of play and received a new baseball from the catcher. Price looks at the baseballs to see the marking. Price says its J3 so maybe that's the question to ask the umpire who has no financial interest in the matter. Again if R4, R5 or R6 have a bat mark, the integrity of the fourth missing baseball being game used is shot unless the umpire can verify the marked number itself.

In the grand scheme of things, the only thing that matters is that Jeter got back J7 and I can care less whether MLB authenticated the baseball because I doubt we will ever see that baseball for sale and hopefully it can be displayed at Yankee stadium or the HOF at a later date.

Joel, it appears that the sequence of baseballs was controlled as this article mentions the team in possession of balls one through twenty four had Jeter reached the milestone on the road against Cleveland.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110705&content_id=21444908&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Our discussion seems to have refuted this statement:

"Once Derek Jeter reaches 2,999 career hits, the marked ball will be deployed during his at-bats, one at a time, and each ball's outcome is tracked by an Authentication staffer."

Are you aware if any of the other marked baseballs have made it to auction houses or Ebay?

salmon
02-17-2012, 04:23 PM
Also, here is another photo of the J7 baseball taken by Darren Rovell, though the MLB hologram is completely blurred out.

http://twitpic.com/5np5qk

yankees24
06-25-2012, 12:25 PM
seeing this baseball now on Ebay, do you think collectors will pay a premium believing it was game used despite MLB Authentication as not? the seller seems to be trying a little too hard to convince the masses it was used.

MLB~NUT
06-25-2012, 03:42 PM
I'm not a fan of Jeters, he seems like a good guy! But its just a foul ball, I've never bought a game used baseball nor would I as players just toss them to you during BP or a Game, so why pay soo much for sumthing with such little signifiance as a foul ball before he even reached his 3000th hit???:p

yankees24
06-25-2012, 03:46 PM
I'm not a fan of Jeters, he seems like a good guy! But its just a foul ball, I've never bought a game used baseball nor would I as players just toss them to you during BP or a Game, so why pay soo much for sumthing with such little signifiance as a foul ball before he even reached his 3000th hit???:p

maybe they are paying for the bat mark, if it is the ball used, they get a small piece of a part of the bat that hit 3000 :p