PDA

View Full Version : Fake Ebay Items

boomstick
07-18-2011, 05:44 PM
After seeing all the fake ebay threads that have popped up throughout the forum, I urge people to condense these onto one thread for the newcomers just getting into collecting. Excuse me if this has already been done and if it has, then keep that thread alive. Please only post if you have 100% proof and you are 100% sure it's a fake.

This Anthony Munoz jersey on Ebay is a fake. The champion logo on the sleeve is blue. The Bengals ONLY had white champion logos in the late 80's and 90's.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270784084507&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3ASS%3AMOTORS%3A1123#ht_500wt_ 1244

This is the second time the seller tried to sell this item. I questioned the seller about the discrepancy but he/she did not reply.

sox83cubs84
07-18-2011, 08:03 PM
The numerical font on the front looks bigger than on game photos from Getty, as well.

Dave Miedema

boomstick
07-18-2011, 11:11 PM
I guess a 99.5% positive rating doesn't mean squat...

sox83cubs84
07-19-2011, 07:19 PM
I guess a 99.5% positive rating doesn't mean squat...

The rating may indeed be well-earned...remember, not every bad piece on eBay is being offered directly by the forger. Honest dealers with limited knowledge are often the sources off bad items. They go by what they're told, or maybe put too much stock in LOAs from certain "experts", but are not aware that they have a dud until someone shows them why.

Regarding the Munoz, the numeric font was obvious to me, but, I'll admit, I wouldn't have known about the Champion logo color problem. ANYONE, including me, is capable of still learning a lot in this hobby. Problem pieces aren't always from problem people...sometimes they're just uninformed.

Dave Miedema