PDA

View Full Version : Jags To Wear Road Whites At Home

Eric
09-08-2006, 09:53 AM
I post this to show that uniform rules aren't always set in stone.
I forsee a day in the future where someone is selling a 2006 opening weekend Jaguars jersey and it's called into question because it's Jacksonville's road colors.

Eric

Jaguars to wear white for home game

By BARRY WILNER
The Associated Press
For the second consecutive season, Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio will try to use Jacksonville's heat and humidity to his advantage in the home opener.
OAS_AD('300x250_1');
Del Rio said Monday he will make the Dallas Cowboys wear their blue jerseys Sunday, hoping the dark shirts will cause more sweat for players unaccustomed to dealing with the sweltering Florida sun.

``I just like Dallas' dark jerseys,'' Del Rio said sarcastically. ``I like those white helmets they wear with those dark jerseys. I think they're pretty classy. We'll let them wear them here.''

All three Florida teams — Jacksonville, Tampa Bay and Miami — typically wear white jerseys at home during the first month of the season and make opponents wear dark jerseys.

When Del Rio took over in Jacksonville in 2003, he had Buffalo wear dark jerseys for the home opener. But the Bills routed Jacksonville 38-17, and Del Rio didn't force the jersey swap the following year. He went back to it last season against Seattle, and although temperatures were relatively mild, the Jaguars won 26-14.

Del Rio believes the jerseys can make a difference.

``It can if it's a scorcher,'' he said. ``If it's really hot I guess it could. But I think the jersey thing is a little overdone. The team that plays well is not going to feel the heat. If you're not playing well, it's going to be hot ... I don't put a lot of credence into it. You make a decision and do what you feel comfortable with and go.''

The NFL allows home teams to choose their jerseys, and the road teams must wear the opposite color

sportscentury
09-08-2006, 10:23 AM
I post this to show that uniform rules aren't always set in stone.
I forsee a day in the future where someone is selling a 2006 opening weekend Jaguars jersey and it's called into question because it's Jacksonville's road colors.

Eric

Eric,

Admittedly, I am somewhat sleep-deprived these days, so excuse me if I'm missing the boat here. But I read the article to say that the Jaguars are indeed wearing their white/homes for their 2006 home opener. It is Dallas that will need to wear their dark blue jerseys on the road in Florida.

Reid

sportscentury
09-08-2006, 10:25 AM
Never mind ... their white jerseys are their road jerseys. Got it. I'm not a football guy (clearly). I'll try another cup of coffee. :)

Reid