PDA

View Full Version : what is the best way to care/preserve game balls?

mbenga28
07-11-2011, 02:55 PM
what is the best way to preserve game used balls, baseballs and basketballs/footballs? I'm primarily interested in what is the best way to protect the leather from balls from wearing/discoloring/cracking over time. also with regards to inflating footballs and basketballs, if it's on display how often to they need to be re-inflated? thanks.

otismalibu
07-11-2011, 03:26 PM
I can only comment on basketballs...

Most will lose air over time, but they retain their shape. Unless you actually squeeze the ball, there's not enough pressure to remove the air to a point where it starts collapsing.

I've got 3 autograph balls in those cheap 2 piece display cases. I might top them off every couple of years.

I've got 5 basketballs that range in age from about 30-40 years old. Each valve leaks to some extent, but there are ways to remedy that. The only one I applied any conditioner to was an old NBA game ball that was scuffed badly(pic below).
The rest, I don't do anything with other than keep them out of sunlight.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb110/otismalibu/Wilson2.jpg

coxfan
07-11-2011, 03:39 PM
I keep baseballs in boxes around cubes, out of direct sunlight. My most valuable ones I put in shoeboxes. I'm no expert, but I think they yellow or at least darken over years, probably related to sunlight. I could be mistaken, but I think grass stains turn dark after a few weeks, due to chemical action.

freddiefreeman5
07-11-2011, 07:30 PM
I have several game used baseballs that I keep in UV protected ball cubes out of direct sunlight. I do display them though.
Out of all my collectibles, I worry about the game used baseballs the least. They are game used so they are not perfect, like a new baseball, anyway. So I don't worry much about them aging.