PDA

View Full Version : Harmon Killebrew

Tay1038
07-10-2011, 12:51 PM
I know this was a hot topic before and I don't usually post things of this sort but this really made me real upset! Destroying a HUGE piece of History!!

How sad is this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/05-Abs-TOTT-Harmon-Killebrew-Jumbo-Jersey-Patch-1-1-HOF-/260815351119?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item3cb9ce6d4f (http://cgi.ebay.com/05-Abs-TOTT-Harmon-Killebrew-Jumbo-Jersey-Patch-1-1-HOF-/260815351119?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item3cb9ce6d4f)

camarokids
07-10-2011, 01:07 PM
Cutting up a jersey like that should be a crime!

Dewey2007
07-10-2011, 02:00 PM
The seller's starting bid price for this jersey card should be a crime too!

Cutting up a jersey like that should be a crime!

Vikingshelmetguy
07-10-2011, 02:23 PM
I have seen this alot with modern-era NFL jerseys, which is just awful. But to see this 1969 Killebrew jersey cut into bits like this and made into a baseball cards makes me feel sick to my stomach. This jersey should have been kept intact and displayed in the Baseball Hall of Fame, or at least kept and cherished by a baseball collector.

Can anyone here on GUU who collects these kinds of cut-up-jersey cards explain the justification for doing this? I just don't get it. I personally would never want just a chunk or piece of a game worn item.

Preston
07-10-2011, 07:17 PM
Would be pretty funny if the patch actually was fake...haha

Still wouldn't teach them a lesson for cutting up priceless memorabilia and putting it into cards, though.

sox83cubs84
07-10-2011, 07:33 PM
Would be pretty funny if the patch actually was fake...haha

Still wouldn't teach them a lesson for cutting up priceless memorabilia and putting it into cards, though.

I wish they had gotten bitten by a fake, too, but the pre-destruction photos look like a 100% genuine Killebrew flannel.

Dave Miedema

bronx_burner
07-10-2011, 09:21 PM
I do everything I can to avoid even seeing these cards. I've kind of trained myself to not even see them when I look on ebay even though they are constantly listed in the game used section. But when I do see certain ones, especially made from historic hall of fame worthy jerseys like this, it does make me sick to my stomach.

That jersey sold in a Mastro auction in 2004 for 25K.

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=38654

MLB~NUT
07-10-2011, 10:25 PM
I collect baseball cards myself mainly autograpghed rc's but yeah that bothers me that they cut up a piece of baseball history like that!

Mark17
07-13-2011, 09:10 PM
I wish they had gotten bitten by a fake, too, but the pre-destruction photos look like a 100% genuine Killebrew flannel.

Dave Miedema

Not to mention, 1969 was Harmon's MVP season.

2020mike
07-16-2011, 03:23 PM
Can anyone here on GUU who collects these kinds of cut-up-jersey cards explain the justification for doing this? I just don't get it. I personally would never want just a chunk or piece of a game worn item.

I haven't collected GU cards in awhile but just from an outside prospective. Yeah its a shame to see such a beautiful jersey cut to shreds but not everyone can afford a full gamer from such a high caliber player. It can be more affordable and some people would be happier with something then nothing. Another factor to take into it is that cards are easier to maintain and display in occasion's. Not everyone owns their own house or place to display full game used items so that's where the cards come into play. It all really comes down to preference in my opinion.

frikativ54
07-16-2011, 03:29 PM
I haven't collected GU cards in awhile but just from an outside prospective. Yeah its a shame to see such a beautiful jersey cut to shreds but not everyone can afford a full gamer from such a high caliber player. It can be more affordable and some people would be happier with something then nothing. Another factor to take into it is that cards are easier to maintain and display in occasion's. Not everyone owns their own house or place to display full game used items so that's where the cards come into play. It all really comes down to preference in my opinion.

Good points. I can see both sides, but I hardly think it is a crime to cut up a jersey. It probably means a lot as swatches to plenty of collectors. More people can enjoy the jersey this way, instead of it sitting in a private collector's possession.

CPuente57
07-16-2011, 07:38 PM
I collect both full game used and game used cards and I see valid points on both sides as well. For me, I know I'll never ever be able to afford a gamer of say a Julius Erving or Babe Ruth, but card companies provide a shot at owning of a swatch of a Babe Ruth jersey, and I still think that's pretty cool. If you aren't a card collector and strictly collect full gamers, it may seem ridiculous for people to collect little tiny swatches, but for those who don't wanna spend 10 grand or more on a jersey, or don't have room to display memorabilia, it's a nice affordable alternative

BostonSportsFan
07-17-2011, 08:52 AM
I find this practice disgusting on every level. As a collector, I realize that there are some pieces of memorabilia that are beyond my reach just as there are other collectibles such as Italian race cars, fine works of art etc. Would it be reasonable to start chopping up Rembrandts or Da Vinci's or start cutting up Ferrari F40's and 1960's Shelby Cobra's and inserting these pieces into collectible cards?

I think this has been brought up before, but if these card companies want to chop up a current players jersey or bat, so be it as there are literally hundreds of these items and more all the time for an all star calibre player.

It is an entirely different story for retired HOF players vintage pre 1980's. To us this specific example how many Killebrew game used legit jersey's still exist period?

I would never, ever, ever in a 1000 years consider helping these hack jobs to destroy a piece of history like this. Like I mentioned, I think it really goes back to the fact that one has to accept that there are certain items that are simply beyond their reach financially and most likely always will be. It is not acceptable to me that I would choose to puchase an irreplaceable piece of history that has been hacked up just so I can get a inch piece of fabric because I cannot afford the entire item. I know that by me not buying these cards, it is not going to stop the card companies from destroying these one of a kind pieces, but if I can do my part to help at least I am not helping them. If everyone choose not to buy these cards, it would quickly end this practice.

Items like this belong in the HOF and or private collections. Even if I cannot ever personally see them and they are never displayed. I would rather see a historical piece reside in a private collection and taken care of the right way than chopped up due to one reason pure and simple greed.

The more of this that is done, the less of these historic jersey's are out there. There are a number of historic all time great HOF players of which very, very few game used anything exists out there. I don't know how much research if any these card companies do, but what if they got the only Honus Wagner jersey known to exist or Christy Matthewson etc. Some of these turn of the century players literally have one known jersey in existence. It would in that case be like destroying the Mona Lisa, at least in my eyes.

I just get very angry about this and see absolutely no reason or excuse why this takes place much less why anyone would choose to support this destruction of all time historical pieces. No argument in my mind can justify this disgusting practice.

Joe

Mark17
07-17-2011, 03:13 PM
For what it's worth, a Minnesota collector (I can't remember who) once told me that the subject of game used bat cards came up with Harmon, and The Killer thought it was a great idea for his gamers to be cut up and made available to thousands collectors at an affordable price.

When I got my 1964 Killebrew gamer signed by him in 2006, Harmon asked how much I paid and when I told him $2,000, he said, "Oh my." Then he quickly added (probably to make me feel better) "Well, I don't know, maybe that's what they go for now."

So, putting those two stories together, I think Harmon preferred the idea of thousands of affordable game used collectibles being out there, available to everyone, rather than just a few, complete, high-ticket items that were well beyond the means of most of his fans, especially kids.

I'm not saying I know exacly what Harmon Killebrew thought about the subject, or that his opinion is more important than that of anyone else, but it does make me feel slightly better, looking at that chopped-up 1969 MVP game jersey, to think that Harmon himself might not have been so bothered about it.

Vikingshelmetguy
07-17-2011, 04:39 PM
I find this practice disgusting on every level. As a collector, I realize that there are some pieces of memorabilia that are beyond my reach just as there are other collectibles such as Italian race cars, fine works of art etc. Would it be reasonable to start chopping up Rembrandts or Da Vinci's or start cutting up Ferrari F40's and 1960's Shelby Cobra's and inserting these pieces into collectible cards?

I think this has been brought up before, but if these card companies want to chop up a current players jersey or bat, so be it as there are literally hundreds of these items and more all the time for an all star calibre player.

It is an entirely different story for retired HOF players vintage pre 1980's. To us this specific example how many Killebrew game used legit jersey's still exist period?

I would never, ever, ever in a 1000 years consider helping these hack jobs to destroy a piece of history like this. Like I mentioned, I think it really goes back to the fact that one has to accept that there are certain items that are simply beyond their reach financially and most likely always will be. It is not acceptable to me that I would choose to puchase an irreplaceable piece of history that has been hacked up just so I can get a inch piece of fabric because I cannot afford the entire item. I know that by me not buying these cards, it is not going to stop the card companies from destroying these one of a kind pieces, but if I can do my part to help at least I am not helping them. If everyone choose not to buy these cards, it would quickly end this practice.

Items like this belong in the HOF and or private collections. Even if I cannot ever personally see them and they are never displayed. I would rather see a historical piece reside in a private collection and taken care of the right way than chopped up due to one reason pure and simple greed.

The more of this that is done, the less of these historic jersey's are out there. There are a number of historic all time great HOF players of which very, very few game used anything exists out there. I don't know how much research if any these card companies do, but what if they got the only Honus Wagner jersey known to exist or Christy Matthewson etc. Some of these turn of the century players literally have one known jersey in existence. It would in that case be like destroying the Mona Lisa, at least in my eyes.

I just get very angry about this and see absolutely no reason or excuse why this takes place much less why anyone would choose to support this destruction of all time historical pieces. No argument in my mind can justify this disgusting practice.

Joe

Thank you BostonSportsFan (Joe)! I completely agree with you and I appreciate your very nicely reasoned and thoughtful arguments explaining why destruction of historic jerseys in this manner is inexcusable and cannot be justified.

Max (Vikingshelmetguy)