PDA

View Full Version : HoF manager dies

sox83cubs84
07-07-2011, 05:05 PM
News just broke on WMVP-AM 1000 in Chicago that the manager of the Imposible Dream Red Sox and the first Padres World Series team, Dick Williams, is dead at age 82. Anyone who has more information please feel free to add it (as I will).

Dave Miedema

schubert1970
07-07-2011, 05:33 PM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/dailypitch/post/2011/07/hall-of-fame-manager-dick-williams-dead-at-82/1

emann
07-07-2011, 11:49 PM
I literally just saw him about three weeks ago in Cooperstown. He seemed to be doing well for being 82... Signed autographs for awhile in the hot sun.

jordanhigh69
07-08-2011, 03:19 AM
Interesting......I believe he lived in my community here in Henderson. A realtor once mentioned to me that he lived in my community and used to walk around our neighborhood all the time. Condolences to his family.

Steve

Danny899
07-13-2011, 12:09 AM
News just broke on WMVP-AM 1000 in Chicago that the manager of the Imposible Dream Red Sox and the first Padres World Series team, Dick Williams, is dead at age 82. Anyone who has more information please feel free to add it (as I will).

Dave Miedema
I was just able to get an A's jersey with the swingin A's patch. He added a fer inscriptions and came out lookinh grest. Class guy.

OaklandAsFan
07-13-2011, 02:10 AM
shame, he was slated to appear at the Fanfest.

I saw an volunteers list of autograph appearances and Dick Williams was on the list and then crossed out.

RIP MR Williams!!

MSpecht
07-14-2011, 10:44 AM
From The San Diego Union Tribune:

"The Padres will wear the club's 1983 uniform tonight (July 14) when they open the second half of the season at Petco Park against the San francisco Giants. The uniforms will be part of a tribute the Padres will be paying to former manager Dick Williams ... Also, in honor of Williams, the team will wear a commemorative patch of his initials. Tonight's pre-game ceremony will include a moment of silence and a video tribute to Williams."

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com (Jackitout7@aol.com)

ironmanfan
07-14-2011, 11:01 AM
I'm not sure what his signing habits were after his HOF election, however prior to such he was very good to collectors signing TTM.

RIP

sox83cubs84
07-14-2011, 09:31 PM
I'm not sure what his signing habits were after his HOF election, however prior to such he was very good to collectors signing TTM.

RIP

I fully agree, Bill.

Dave Miedema

Jayworld
07-15-2011, 08:08 AM
I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Williams back in the summer of 1985; being a huge Padres fan, my high school graduation present from my parents was a trip to San Diego with my dad for three days to catch three Padres games. A mutual friend lined us up with Tom Romanesko, scouting director for the Padres, and we got to tour the clubhouse and take lots of pictures. Mr. Williams was in his office at the time, and posed for pictures, signed a team issue postcard for me, and visited several minutes with my dad concerning the old Ft. Worth Cats minor league team, whom my dad grew up watching and Mr. Williams played for.

Very nice gentleman, and a huge part of my favorite period in Padres history!

On a side note, it was unfortunate but not surprising that the 1983 throwback uniforms worn by the Padres as a memorial to Mr. Williams were incorrect, as they featured belted pants instead of the correct stretch waistband, and the caps (what's up with that?) had the incorrect front logo panel shape.