PDA

View Full Version : History Making Hit Question

gaytorhater703
07-06-2011, 01:45 PM
With Jeter coming up on his 3000th hit i was wondering if any players 3000th hit was a home run therefore making it able to be caught and kept by a fan/collector.....i know the honorable thing to do would be to give it back but aside from homerun record setting balls what are the good stories of other record breaking hits? Any good stories out there?

gorilla777
07-06-2011, 02:02 PM
Wade Boggs hit a HR for number 3,000

gaytorhater703
07-06-2011, 02:10 PM
so does anyone know the story on what happened to the ball? When did the MLB get wise to start using marked balls?

yankees506
07-06-2011, 09:10 PM
Arods 600th homer was retreived by a security guard, he got a signed bat.

Mark Teixeria's 300th hr was caught by a fan, he got a signed bat AND ball as well as the opportunity to go on the field and take a picture with tex. Guess tex needed to 1up arod or should i say 2up:D

sox83cubs84
07-07-2011, 04:51 PM
Arods 600th homer was retreived by a security guard, he got a signed bat.

Mark Teixeria's 300th hr was caught by a fan, he got a signed bat AND ball as well as the opportunity to go on the field and take a picture with tex. Guess tex needed to 1up arod or should i say 2up:D

It seems like the Yankess tried to take care of the fan who snagged Tex's dinger. Such an arrangement make not pass the dollars and cents test of some in the hobby, but a lot of non-collecting fans would value the photo and signed items more than the home run ball.

Dave Miedema

mad87man
07-07-2011, 06:32 PM
Idk but i think Steiner is gunna sell it if it is not a home run.

OaklandAsFan
07-07-2011, 09:49 PM
Some fool threw Arod's 300th back onto the field in Anaheim a few years back, Arod was quoted in the paper saying he pretty much had an entire uniform ready to trade for the ball and thank the guy for giving it back for free.

a few days later the Rangers were in Oakland and I Arod was hitting off the T in front of me so I yelled out "since you didn't have to give anything up for that 300th HR can I get a bat or batting glove" He just kinda chuckled and said nope.

momen55
07-08-2011, 11:47 AM
when roberto clemente got his 2000th, it was a homer. the kid that caught it was given an autgraphed ball and autgraphed game bat in trade. what a deal! :)

sox83cubs84
07-09-2011, 04:18 PM
Wade Boggs hit a HR for number 3,000

And now, so has Jeter. The ball was hit into the seats in left field, where a man tried to catch it barehanded, fumbled it, and his adult son grabbed it off the ground. Clean outcome, no San Francisco-type scrum followed by a lawsuit, and no Waveland Avenue (1998) pileup in which the guy who legitimately grabbed it had to cough it up to avoid being crushed at the bottom of a human dogpile. The lucky fan is being rewarded with tickets to 4 premium seats for the remainder of the season as well as any postseason games the Yanks play at home.

Dave Miedema

trsent
07-09-2011, 11:22 PM
Pretty cool guys who are not known as home run hitters, Jeter and Boggs each hitting a home run for #3000.

Jeter now has 237 in 17 seasons. Boggs had 118 in 18 seasons.

ryant7
07-12-2011, 09:03 PM
The downfall to the story of the guy catching it and recieving the royalties from the team as far as seats for the rest of the year and i believe he got some signed items, now the IRS wants the money for the value of everything he is getting from what i read they are wanting him to pay taxes somewhere in the neighborhood of 10-13,000. I do believe i would tell the Yankees to keep there seats or pay the gift tax.

cohibasmoker
07-13-2011, 07:19 AM
The downfall to the story of the guy catching it and recieving the royalties from the team as far as seats for the rest of the year and i believe he got some signed items, now the IRS wants the money for the value of everything he is getting from what i read they are wanting him to pay taxes somewhere in the neighborhood of 10-13,000. I do believe i would tell the Yankees to keep there seats or pay the gift tax.

Fans and most folks like to do the right thing HOWEVER, in this day and age, that is not possible. Unfortunately, BUSINESS is BUSINESS and in the end, the fan is going to get screwed. Here's an idea, perhaps Jeter and/or the Yankees will help the fan out with the IRS issues? After-all, the fan went out of his way to help them out. We'll see.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

OaklandAsFan
07-13-2011, 03:17 PM
with the IRS it will be a neverending vicious cycle though won't it? They will want to tax the $15k that he gets to cover the payment then tax whatever he gets to cover that expense and so and and so on.

kudu
07-13-2011, 04:07 PM
with the IRS it will be a neverending vicious cycle though won't it? They will want to tax the $15k that he gets to cover the payment then tax whatever he gets to cover that expense and so and and so on.

I was thinking the same thing. Modells and Miller High Life are offering to pay the taxes:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Companies-offer-to-pay-taxes-Martinez-owes-for-J?urn=mlb-wp12669

cliffjmp33
07-13-2011, 07:49 PM
I believe by law you can be "gifted" $10,000. I am not sure, but would it be possible for miller or modells to "hire" him as a consultant/PR person and pay him, with some of those wages being taxed?

Either way, I think it'll work out for him and on top, he gets his own card by Topps. That's pretty awesome in itself. Let's hope it's not his game worn shirt from that day though!