PDA

View Full Version : MLB Authentication / Auctions

asr1084
07-06-2011, 11:55 AM
I am relatively new to MLB's authentication. Every once in a while I check the MLB auctions page to see whats being auctioned and dont see much (at least of what I collect - Cleveland Indians). The only real time I see great stuff is big events liek the mothers day items etc. I even check the teams auctions page and not much.

However, I have seen numerous people with great GU items (that they picked up and seen on the pickups blogs in this forum- even from 2011) with the MLB auth. that I did not see on MLB's page.

Besides the team shops, is there somewhere I am not looking? :confused:

coxfan
07-06-2011, 12:22 PM
Every one of my 15 or so MLB authenticated items has been bought directly from the teams (mainly Rangers, but also Braves.) None of it has been listed on the Internet. I did get an authenticated ALCS game 2 ball from the Rangers' charity, but it ws sold at the World Series game 3, and not listed online even under their tab.

coxfan
07-06-2011, 12:33 PM
I know this isn't exactly your question, but I suspect that many if not most of the items authenticated by MLB are never sold. For example, MLB authenticated 55 balls from ALCS Game 2, but I saw at most about 25 of them for sale either on the Internet or in team stores. I assume that many authenticated items are given to VIP's including family or friends of owners/players, or team support staff.

dcgreg25
07-06-2011, 01:09 PM
As a fellow Indians collector, I share your pain. As far as your question, the Indians items that are authenticated are rarely sold through the team shop or auctions. Often players will get items authenticated and keep them or they are given away to others, sold through other outlets (Highland Mint), etc. I have acquired MLB authenticated Indians items directly from player reps in the past. The Indians were pretty active on MLB Auctions up until about two or three years ago when they stopped listing almost anything game used.

Over the past few years, the primary source for MLB Authenticated Indians items has been TBTC jerseys sold off from when the Indians visit other teams. Very few of the game used items sold from the Indians team shop are ever MLB Authenticated and probably only a fraction of the game used items sold through their auctions. The bottom line as an Indians collector there is not much out there in terms of MLB authenticated Indians items. I have pushed several different approaches with the team but have not been successful to date. Feel free to drop me an email if you want further details.

asr1084
07-06-2011, 03:59 PM
Thanks guys. My hopes are that these teams will see how big this hobby has gotten and share their GU inventory more publically for auctions etc.