PDA

View Full Version : 1976 H&B Bicentennial with 5 engraved to right of logo?

CampWest
07-01-2011, 09:33 AM
I have not seen this before and was curious to see if anybody knows what that 5 is doing there? - Bat is a John Knox.

07-02-2011, 02:28 AM
I also am curious to know what that number 5 is doing there on the Knox bat. In the late 1970's, I picked up an Al Kaline cracked bat from the early 1970's that had a number 7 in the same place. I never understood what it was doing there. One experienced bat dealer told me about 10 years ago that he had seen these kind of numbers in that same spot before and was not concerned. Eventually I sold the Kaline through Mastro Auctions. I have seen thousands of bats, but have never seen another with that number until the Knox bat you show in your post. The only thing in common is they were both bats from the Tigers. Will be interested to learn if somebody knows the real story.

Tom Duino

CampWest
07-02-2011, 07:44 AM
Another member contacted my by email and stated that it was an inventory number and it was done by the Tigers. The Tigers equipment manager added the numbers for a year or two in the 70s. This other member had previously sold a bat of another Tiger that had a 1 in that spot.

SkubeBats
07-02-2011, 10:22 AM
I had saw a Ben Oglivie bat with a number on it like these bats. I was wold it had something to do with the Tigers equipment manager.

MSpecht
07-02-2011, 11:28 AM
Wes is correct-- it is an internal Detroit Tigers inventory number not uncommon to Tigers bats of the period. Think of them as similar to "Yosh marks" found on Cubs bats. The interesting thing about the subject bat is that Knox' final game in the majors was in September, 1975, prior to the manufacture of this bat, which makes the use on this bat either from 1976 Spring Training or from one of Knox' Minor League stops in 1976 -- Indianapolis (AAA) or Evansville (AAA).

Mike jackitout7@aol.com

camarokids
07-02-2011, 01:23 PM
Your a great asset to the hobby Mike!

This sounds like it would have been a ton of work for the equipment manager. I assume each bat for a certain player would have it own inventory number?

sox83cubs84
07-02-2011, 05:16 PM
That makes plenty of sense. The Tigers 30-40 years ago, unlike now, took every step they could to prevent game-used items from meeting the then'fledgling hobby marketplace. Keep in mind, too, that the late 1970s found them taking the previously unused step of having inventory numbers tagged into their game jerseys.

Dave Miedema