PDA

View Full Version : Buying $$$$...but not that one!!!

EurekaDave
06-29-2011, 02:21 PM
Excuse me for being a cranky pants but I love the people on this forum who say... "Got big money to buy..." And then when people respond, the "buyer" says "I'll pass."

No biggy...but this gets annoying. Why not give it a shot a couple of times...and then give it a rest?

Dave Silverbrand
Always buying more hair and unclogged arteries...

UTeric3232
06-29-2011, 02:29 PM
Maybe they do have money, and will spend it, but dont like your item :confused:

Just bc they say they are buying, doesnt mean they HAVE to buy everything thats offered

xpress34
06-29-2011, 02:30 PM
+1

It's like the people who post, "Buying ALL (insert team here) items." You make a long response with what you have, prices, pics etc to get back a response like, "Sorry, only looking for (insert player x,y,z). I'll pass."

Then make your Damn post say "Buying ALL (player x,y,z) items."

And if you're NOT really interested in ALL items, then list SPECIFICALLY what you are looking to buy.

And be REALISTIC in what items are worth... I love all the responses where people want to buy BELOW actual cost (I'm not talking Secondary Market Cost - I'm talking like a $25.00 item that is now signed and they want it for $5 - $10 or less - and free delivery!)

Sorry for the rant, but really getting tired of all the people who want everything basically for free or just want to waste your time.

- Smitty

jobathenut
06-29-2011, 05:43 PM
I totally agree with you "eureka".I even started a thread about this on the discussion part of the forum.And it also seems like they do it just to see what out there cause they are bored and like to read i guess.I have responded to someone sayign they were buying all items.So i sent them my long list of my collection and they passed on it....It get annoying,if you are not buying all,then dont say all.List the items you are buying and have some consideration for the person taking the time to type you out thier long list.Still upset about that
Excuse me for being a cranky pants but I love the people on this forum who say... "Got big money to buy..." And then when people respond, the "buyer" says "I'll pass."

No biggy...but this gets annoying. Why not give it a shot a couple of times...and then give it a rest?

Dave Silverbrand
Always buying more hair and unclogged arteries...

jobathenut
06-29-2011, 05:44 PM
AMEN MY BROTHER!!!!!!:)
+1

It's like the people who post, "Buying ALL (insert team here) items." You make a long response with what you have, prices, pics etc to get back a response like, "Sorry, only looking for (insert player x,y,z). I'll pass."

Then make your Damn post say "Buying ALL (player x,y,z) items."

And if you're NOT really interested in ALL items, then list SPECIFICALLY what you are looking to buy.

And be REALISTIC in what items are worth... I love all the responses where people want to buy BELOW actual cost (I'm not talking Secondary Market Cost - I'm talking like a $25.00 item that is now signed and they want it for $5 - $10 or less - and free delivery!)

Sorry for the rant, but really getting tired of all the people who want everything basically for free or just want to waste your time.

- Smitty

flota89
06-29-2011, 05:48 PM
I think some people are interested in anything from a player, but are picky at the same time. For example, I just made a post about Holliday bats. I'm interested in seeing any Holliday bat and will make an offer if I like it, but if the bat is badly broken or cracked pretty bad or a brand I already have, I may be less interested than an uncracked bat. Other times they have many items to choose from after making their post and can't buy all the items offered to them.

I agree though, posters should be specific in what they are looking for.

rmichne
06-29-2011, 08:05 PM
My favorite is when they post top dollar paid and then give you a ridiculous low-ball offer.

Ron

solarlottry
06-29-2011, 08:46 PM
If someone contacts me with quality 49ers shirts that i am interested in I WILL PAY TOP $$$$ for what i want. Problem is i have posted a # of want ads and have had few responses. I think it goes both ways. There are collectors out there that know what they want, have $$$ and are willing to spend it but have nothing to spend it on.

When that 1994 Rice Uni popped up on the CSI website, guess what, I bought it! Not thru CSI but via the original owner but I still put my money where my mouth is. There are us collectors out there that if you find something we want we will buy it.

I have even offered up to a 500$ finders fee and guess what, not a single dealer, seller or collector took me up on it! You cant tell me that there is not a single game used 49ers shirt out there that someone wants to sell.

Every collector has criteria, as do I, but when my ad states that I am looking for ANY 1994 49er gamer or ANY 49er gamer with a team letter, then that is what i want and will pay good money for.

Always looking for quality 49ers shirts and paying top dollar for what i want!

Paul

garciajones@yahoo.com

TNTtoys
06-29-2011, 09:05 PM
I am generally annoyed by the flip side of this coin...

I post how I am buying all items of 4 different players... I then get emails from different people selling their items of those players for 4X the fair value of them. And I pass every time. Just because someone is looking for specific things does not mean he's ready and willing to be gouged.

For example... last year, at a time where good Carlos Beltran bats were selling in the ballpark of $175-200, I am offered one for $750. You want another? How about a John Olerud Mariners jersey for $1100 (I own 2; I paid $200-250 each)???

solarlottry
06-29-2011, 09:09 PM
I agree that just because someone posts what they want does not mean that they are willing to pay ridiculous prices for those items. If a fair price can be worked out then great but just because someone posts that they are interested in something is not an obligation to buy anything especially at a ridiculously high price.

Paul

trsent
06-30-2011, 01:11 AM
I agree that just because someone posts what they want does not mean that they are willing to pay ridiculous prices for those items. If a fair price can be worked out then great but just because someone posts that they are interested in something is not an obligation to buy anything especially at a ridiculously high price.

Paul

Paul, you are correct. I often post buying autographed items and then I receive emails offering me items for well above current market prices. Then there are those that email me photos of autographed item that I do not believe are genuine or questionable at best.

I don't get into my thoughts of the authenticity, I just pass on the items and wait for something else.

The problem I find is that some of the people who have emailed me attempting to sell me items are upset that I pass on their items with sour grapes.

I do not have to explain why I am passing, be it high prices, questionable autographs or just an item I don't feel has any market value. I don't want to get into an argument about it. I passed. Thanks for the offer.

NEFAN
06-30-2011, 12:25 PM
I have asked about an item, got a delayed answer due to email filters then when I starightened it out, the price went up because I took so long. It does go both ways for sure.

frikativ54
06-30-2011, 01:44 PM
Maybe they do have money, and will spend it, but dont like your item :confused:

Just bc they say they are buying, doesnt mean they HAVE to buy everything thats offered

I fully agree with the sentiment expressed here. People have every right to make Want Ads, but that doesn't mean that they have to buy your item. Most people are selective about what they purchase, and they are under no obligation to purchase every item out there from every seller.

However, when people say "buying every item" or "paying top dollar for any [insert name and item here]," I do understand why sellers might be frustrated, especially if they get lowball offers. Sometimes I think such tactics are just a way to hook potential sellers into dealing with the same people without needing to get other offers.

jppopma
07-01-2011, 12:46 PM
I'm in the same boat as TNT. Way too many times, I get responses to want ads with outgragious prices. 4x the price I have paid for others is not uncommon at all. It's also funny when the seller get upset that you explain that you already have a similar jersey (different set, or home/road) and paid a quarter of the price. As a buyer, I am looking for diversity in the players I collect and do not want to pay superstar prices for a local kid who barely touched the bigs.

That being said, I am interested in the guys I collect and willing to pay above the normal price...just not 2x-10x as much.

Then again, I don't flash any big $$$$$ or any of that other stuff that I see in way way too many post.

solarlottry
07-01-2011, 02:18 PM
I'm in the same boat as TNT. Way too many times, I get responses to want ads with outgragious prices. 4x the price I have paid for others is not uncommon at all. It's also funny when the seller get upset that you explain that you already have a similar jersey (different set, or home/road) and paid a quarter of the price. As a buyer, I am looking for diversity in the players I collect and do not want to pay superstar prices for a local kid who barely touched the bigs.

That being said, I am interested in the guys I collect and willing to pay above the normal price...just not 2x-10x as much.

Then again, I don't flash any big $$$$$ or any of that other stuff that I see in way way too many post.

I am sorry if my method of posting want ads offends you but I do and will pay what I consider to be a fair price for what i want. Additionally when I say that I am interested in ANY 1994 49er gamer that is exactly what i mean. Some of us follow thru with what we post. I am in no way flashing $$$ around but if someone is thinking of selling something I want and see that i am willing to pay a fair price and sometimes a price above market value the $$$$ signs may help them make the decision to sell. if you dont like the want ad dont read it.

jppopma
07-01-2011, 10:14 PM
I am sorry if my method of posting want ads offends you but I do and will pay what I consider to be a fair price for what i want. Additionally when I say that I am interested in ANY 1994 49er gamer that is exactly what i mean. Some of us follow thru with what we post. I am in no way flashing $$$ around but if someone is thinking of selling something I want and see that i am willing to pay a fair price and sometimes a price above market value the $$$$ signs may help them make the decision to sell. if you dont like the want ad dont read it.

Solarlottry....I'm confused! How did my post seem to get under you skin? It was not about you and did not even refer to you. I know that you are a big 49ers fan and always looking, If you include $$$ in your post that's up to you and your choice. Just said that I don't flash it and that there are too many ppl that seem to throw the "big money" stuff around too much. That's all.

solarlottry
07-01-2011, 10:51 PM
No worries or offense taken. It is quite ironic that many people do post their wants ads like that and when the times comes never back it up. The funny thing is that for all of those ads i have posted very few have ever generated a response!

Even with the posted "finders fee" of up to 500$ for the shirts i am really looking for-no response!!!! If someone had a friend that had one of the 4 shirts i need to complete the entire starting line up of the 94 team i would gladly pay them a hefty finders fee. In fact just today someone collected a 100$ finders fee for connecting me with a fellow 49er collector who sold me a nice shirt. I put my $ where my mouth is. i just wish more people would find that out by selling me the following 94 shirts:

Lee Woodall
Dennis Brown
Derrick Deese
Doug Brien

Always buying 49ers shirts and ANY 1994 49er gamer!
paul
garciajones@yahoo.com

legaleagle92481
07-02-2011, 12:45 AM
I find this post to be quite funny. In the almost two years I have been on this board. I have posted several want ads and several sale ads. The vast majority of responses for the sale ads was insanely lowball offers which were downright insulting since I normally post my stuff well below market to move it quickly to use towards other purchases. Or even better crazy trade offers. Such as offering questionable junk for a star players item. The vast majority of responses I have received for the want ads are people trying to sell stuff at a large markup and often the stuff they are selling is originally from a major company and is available cheaper directly from such major company every day of the week.

xpress34
07-02-2011, 03:52 PM
I find this post to be quite funny.

I agree, but for different reasons... the thread started off being about people claiming they want ALL of Team X or Player Y but responding that in actuality, they are only looking for item Z.

Now it's become a diatribe on lowball offers, etc...

godwulf
07-05-2011, 08:53 AM
I agree, but for different reasons... the thread started off being about people claiming they want ALL of Team X or Player Y but responding that in actuality, they are only looking for item Z.

Now it's become a diatribe on lowball offers, etc...

I think people are just making the point that both Buyers and Sellers can get on one another's nerves in a variety of ways.

As for the big $ business...let's be honest. What's big $ for one person may be pocket change for somebody else. It's dangerous to assume.