PDA

View Full Version : Andre Dawson, Silver Slugger Award Question

R.Mansfield
06-28-2011, 05:43 PM
I had a question about the Louisville Slugger Silver Slugger Awards.

I have been following the recent Lelands Auction with the 1987 Dawson SSA, and can't believe how much it sold for.

Aside from this however, I noticed that this award had the Louisville Center Logo engraved in it. This is the first award that I have noticed this on, during this time period.

I have seen a 1985 Dave Parker, 1985 Jack Clark, 1987 Jack Clark, and 1993 Lenny Dykstra awards sold recently, and noted that none of them had the center logo engraved. In all of these cases I believe that they are legitimate, and just wondered if anyone had knowledge on why the Dawson award is different?

The only things I could think of is maybe because he was the 1987 MVP, his award was different/premium, players may have had a choice, (plain or engraved), or Dawson had this done at a later time to make it custom?

I would appreciate hearing anyone else's thoughts or insight on this...

Thanks,
Russell Mansfield
batdna@sbcglobal.net (batdna@sbcglobal.net)

R.Mansfield
07-25-2011, 07:07 PM
Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge or comments on this Award.

I have heard nothing from anyone. It seems strange to me though that it did not come with an LOA from Dawson, and it is different from all of the other Silver Slugger Awards I have seen from this era. I know the two Clark's had LOA's from him and Dykstra award was a pawn shop item he never repaid...

I'm suprised Dawson entered the HOF and then a year later he sells the awared?

Russell