PDA

View Full Version : Question about Posada in Steiner Auction

Eric
09-06-2006, 11:36 AM
Hey everyone

I was looking at the Posada jersey in the current Grey Flannel auction.

Here's the description
1997 Jorge Posada #22 NY Yankees Game-Used Rookie Jersey (Yankees-Steiner LOA)
Lot # 253

On the left front tail is the "RUSSELL" manufacturer's tag with wash instructions and jersey size "48." Attached is a flag tag "100% POLYESTER." Below is an embroidered tag with "POSADA 97" in black block lettering that is partially faded. On the left front chest is the interlocking "NY" done in navy blue tackle twill. On the back of the jersey is player number "22" done in navy blue tackle twill. The player number on the back has been changed. Jersey shows game-use and is accompanied by a LOA from Yankees-Steiner.

Here are the pics
http://www.greyflannelauctions.com/lotimages/4066c.jpg
http://www.greyflannelauctions.com/lotimages/4066t.jpg

Here's my question-
It says the number has been changed. I wrote Grey Flannel and Rich Russek wrote me back very quickly- pointing out the #22 seems to have been changed from a #21. Does that seem right that they would change a Paul O'Neill jersey to a rookie? I guess if they needed a #22 in a pinch it makes sense.
Also, Rich pointed out that there is no sign of a Jackie Robinson patch which suggests that it was from Spring Training
Has anyone seen a photo of Posada wearing #22? I can't seem to find one. According to the roster, he did wear #22 early in the season.

I'd love to know people's thoughts on this piece.
Thanks
Eric

hblakewolf
09-06-2006, 11:42 AM
If Richie is correct, then the name on the tail tag should read O'NEILL, not POSADA. Something does not check out with this story.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Yankwood
09-06-2006, 11:50 AM
And if it was really Paul O'Neill's, I would buy the jersey, change the 2 back to a 1 and have an O'Neill jersey. Something doesn't check out here.

trsent
09-06-2006, 01:01 PM
...and to think, if Paul O'Neil wants $2500.00 for his bats, his jersey must be worth much, much more.

Kid4hof03
09-06-2006, 01:06 PM
I know that at one point Posada wore #55, I don't recall if that was his first call up in 1995 or if it was 1996. I'll have to check some media guides.

Abe

Kid4hof03
09-06-2006, 01:14 PM
baseball-almanac.com shows that Posada wore #55 in 1996 and that he started with #22 in 1997 and some time during the season changed to #20.

Abe