PDA

View Full Version : Reggie Jackson's Dad's Lost Ring and Watch????

ChrisCavalier
06-28-2011, 02:57 PM
Hello Everyone,

I was recently contacted by a friend of mine here in Northern California named Joe Porter. Joe is a friend of Reggie Jackson and he has introduced me to Reggie about two years ago. Joe is an extremely trustworthy individual and one whose word has proven to be good.

With that said, I am posting information that Mr. Porter has forwarded to me regarding a couple of Reggie Jackson related items that are currently for sale at auction. Please note that the information comes directly from Reggie Jackson and I am posting it on their behalf. I hope this is useful to anyone considering purchasing these items. Here is the information from Mr. Jackson:

I will get straight to the point. About a week ago one of my best friends, Joe Porter calls me, and tells me about a find of my Dads 77 World Series ring, and the Cartier Watch the Yanks gave me for hitting HR # 400 in 1980.

THE '77 WORLD SERIES RING.

In 1977 the Yankees gave me my 1977 World Series Ring just like they gave the other players and staff connected with the team. My size 13, with the classic NY in the center. At that time during the seasons of 77 78 79 80 81, a friend of mine worked for Balfour the MLB contracted makers of the World Series Trophy and World Championship rings. I was their Spokesperson and reported to a gentleman by the name of John Scarpalini who managed the accounts for Balfour of the championship teams. Balfour was the ring and championship trophy maker for MLB. During that time he worked directly with George Steinbrenner and his Yankee staff designing the ring for 1977.

Since I worked for Balfour and John Scarpalini and I had a special relationship, Balfour decided to make me a special ring to represent the 3 HRS on Game 6 Oct 18 1977. They decided to add a diamond in the center to make it different and special for me from Balfour. It is not the World Series Ring the Yankees gave to me like all the other players received. I HAVE THAT RING. IT IS A FAMILY HEIRLOOM. At this time my oldest brother wears it proudly.

The ring I gave my dad was a duplicate of the one Balfour made for me and was sized to fit him. I wear a 13. I ordered a 9 for him and he still had to get it sized again to fit him. He did lose one and I got him another from Balfour again. This time we ordered a different size to fit. I've now been told that o took that ring from Ressurection Jackson. She gave it to me to keep in the family. I did not "take" it from her. I asked for the watch and they said they would send it to me. Never received it. Now the story changes. That my Dad had my 1977 World Series Ring. Not - he had a ring that Balfour made specially for me not the World Series Ring the Yanks presented to me.

Did they hide it under the couch? hmmmm I don't know but I do wonder.

I would not order a pinky ring any size.

I wear a 13.

I'm grateful that Balfour made me something special to commerce that day.

It is a duplicate of the one Balfour made for me. I still own mine.

I had always hoped that I and my family would continue to pass the ring through the family to be worn by the oldest living male. Or my brother Joe Martinez Jackson. He has my 20 yr watch I received from the A's my dad wore until he passed in 1994.

The Jackson family is interested in keeping the heirlooms to pass on to family to continue to enjoy its past as a unit.

The Jackson family wants to do the "right thing" as any family would want to do. I, and we as a family, have reached out to Ressurection whom we have not heard from since April 1994 when our dad passed.

We try to be a close private family and are disappointed that it has gotten to this.

We would be interested in recovering something as special as this as would anyone.

Thank you for listening to our story.

Such is life and we will get past this and be thankful for this test before us.

I remain thankful to all my friends, family and fans.

Reggie M Jackson

godwulf
06-28-2011, 03:09 PM
I understand everything up till about halfway through, where it reads "I've now been told that o took that ring from Ressurection Jackson."

After that, it's pretty much Martian.

otismalibu
06-28-2011, 03:25 PM
After that, it's pretty much Martian.

I'm with ya. I think Billy Martin wrote the 2nd half. Could happen. Did you see who's on the cover of Newsweek?

prichmond
06-28-2011, 04:26 PM
Oprah?

flaco1801
06-28-2011, 04:44 PM
i think o=i...... seems ressurection is reggies dad wife.... why is this posted here? is the ring or watch up for auction?... let reggie buy it from the auction house....

frikativ54
06-28-2011, 04:52 PM
Honestly, it may be because I'm under the weather, but I'm just not following things here. Can someone please explain for the feeble of mind. :confused:

ironmanfan
06-28-2011, 04:58 PM
AMI is auctioning off a ring that they claim is Reggie Jackson's 1977 World Series ring........

Reggie is obviously saying something different

frikativ54
06-29-2011, 04:22 AM
AMI is auctioning off a ring that they claim is Reggie Jackson's 1977 World Series ring........

Reggie is obviously saying something different

Thanks for the clarification.

WadeInBmore
06-29-2011, 08:57 AM
...so is there a person named Resurrection Jackson or is that code for something else. Very odd and peculiar. I guess this makes sense but how does it tie in with an on going auction...that's what I'm missing, is it simply saying the two items for sale in auction are "fraudulant"? Wish people would just come out and say what they mean.

Wade

ironmanfan
06-29-2011, 09:26 AM
...so is there a person named Resurrection Jackson or is that code for something else. Very odd and peculiar. I guess this makes sense but how does it tie in with an on going auction...that's what I'm missing, is it simply saying the two items for sale in auction are "fraudulant"? Wish people would just come out and say what they mean.

Wade

just go to AMI's web site and see the videos they posted

IMF

frikativ54
06-30-2011, 10:37 AM
just go to AMI's web site and see the videos they posted

IMF

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=65291

Thanks for the heads up. I think AMI should have checked this story out before putting the ring up for auction. However, it would make sense that they are after what would give them the most publicity.

-Frik

frikativ54
06-30-2011, 10:38 AM
I just don't understand why Reggie Jackson doesn't contact AMI directly. That would be the best way to set the story straight.

pictureman
06-30-2011, 10:50 AM
I Googled "1977 New York Yankees world series ring" and looked at the images.The only one to have the diamond in the center was the one AMI is auctioning off.

Dach0sen0ne
07-10-2011, 10:33 PM
I guess Reggie took some legal action. :D

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=6744007

frikativ54
07-16-2011, 01:02 PM
I guess Reggie took some legal action. :D

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=6744007

Glad that he put his money where his mouth was.