PDA

View Full Version : Andre Dawson Silver Slugger Question BMH?

R.Mansfield
06-25-2011, 11:43 PM
I had a question about the Louisville Slugger Silver Slugger Awards.

I have been following the recent Lelands Auction with the 1987 Dawson SSA, and can't believe how much it sold for.

Aside from this however, I noticed that this award had the Louisville Center Logo engraved in it. This is the first award that I have noticed this on, during this time period.

I have seen a 1985 Dave Parker, 1985 Jack Clark, 1987 Jack Clark, and 1993 Lenny Dykstra awards sold recently, and noted that none of them had the center logo engraved. In all of these cases I believe that they are legitimate, and just wondered if anyone had knowledge on why the Dawson award is different?

The only things I could think of is maybe because he was the 1987 MVP, his award was different/premium, players may have had a choice, (plain or engraved), or Dawson had this done at a later time to make it custom?

I would appreciate anyone else's thoughts or insight on this, or if BMH had any knowledge on it.

Thanks,
Russell Mansfield
batdna@sbcglobal.net (batdna@sbcglobal.net)

R.Mansfield
07-25-2011, 06:55 PM
Just a bump on this, I am suprised no one on the forum has a comment on it. Out of the 5 Silver Slugger Awards I have seen, all of them except the Dawson have no engraving on the bat.

I also am suprised the Dawson award has no LOA from him...

Russell

BMH
07-26-2011, 07:05 AM
I thought we engraved all the SS's we made. I know for the past couple of years they have since they are shipped to us first and put on display before being given to the players.

R.Mansfield
07-27-2011, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the input Brian.

I have noticed that the modern Silver Slugger Awards do have your LVS Logo engraved on it, but just haven't seen any of the older ones with it, before this Dawson.

It seems strange, maybe he had the engraving done after he received it.

Russell

ironmanfan
08-23-2011, 11:10 PM
I just thought I'd bump this thread with some additional information. A couple weeks ago, I was @ Ripken Stadium in Aberdeen, MD (home of the Class A Aberdeen Ironbirds) and on the Club Level of this ballpark they have a display case with some memorabilia from the Ripken family. One of items on display in the case which I took note of was Cal's 1984 Silver Slugger Award, recalling that there was a topic on GUF at some point regarding the engraving on these bats.

As you can hopefully tell by my picture, the bat on Cal's 1984 SS Award is sans any labeling/engraving

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/whhp72/Misc%20Ripken/1silver.jpg

R.Mansfield
08-24-2011, 06:48 PM
Thanks for this information, it is interesting.

During this time period, the 1980's in the early 1990's, the only Silver Slugger I have noticed with this engraving is the Andre Dawson one, it seems strange to me. Since my initial post, I also have seen a 1983 Mike Schmidt Silver Slugger, also no engraving...

From what I can tell, the Dawson award did not come with an LOA from him or anything either??? It's hard to tell who it was sourced from.

Thanks again,
Russell Mansfield
batdna@sbcglobal.net