PDA

View Full Version : I am stumped -- George Mikan Ring

sportscentury
06-25-2011, 04:05 PM
I am hoping GUUers can help me with a question that, quite frankly, has me stumped. I have been researching a ring that was presented/awarded to George Mikan. It can be viewed on Mr. Mikan’s website, as well as on eBay, as his family decided to make it available for sale. Here are the two links:

http://www.georgemikan.com/ (http://www.georgemikan.com/)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160603257813 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160603257813)

Mr. Mikan’s family is sure that he was awarded this ring sometime around 1970 (or in the early 1970s at the latest). They consigned it to La Jolla Jewelers, along with his 1959 Naismith Hall of Fame Pin, for sale. The Naismith Hall of Fame has informed me that while the pin did indeed come from them, they had nothing to do with the ring and it is the first time they have seen a ring like it. Rather, the researcher at Naismith said that this may have come directly from the NBA or a league team (e.g., the Minneapolis Lakers; the Los Angeles Lakers; or, if the ring is later than the 1970s, possibly the Minnesota Timberwolves -- of the three possibilities, the Los Angeles Lakers is most likely). Of course, the ring may not have come from the NBA or an NBA team, but rather some other entity (e.g., the Minnesota Sports Hall of Fame?). The family simply cannot remember how Mr. Mikan obtained it (he was presented with many awards and numerous ceremonies over the years).

At first, I thought this may be the ring Mr. Mikan was awarded on April 11, 2002, when the Minneapolis Laker greats were welcomed to the Staples Center and honored at half-time when the Minnesota Timberwolves were in L.A. to take on the Lakers. A banner was raised in their honor on that day and they were presented with rings (and watches, as well, I believe). However, the Mikan family has assured me that they are still in possession of the 2002 ring and that the ring on display (on the Mikan website and on eBay) is circa 1970.

So, I am stumped. A few questions I have are: (1) When was this ring presented to Mr. Mikan? (2) Where was the presentation located? (3) Who presented the ring (the NBA?, the Lakers? some other entity?)? What was the occasion (e.g., was this for the NBA 25th Anniversary Team?– seems unlikely, but it is a thought, as the timing would be consistent with circa 1970); i.e., why was Mr. Mikan being honored with this ring? Is there any film or photo documentation of the ceremony?

I'd be very grateful to folks for any thoughts/ideas/answers. I started researching this ring because I had interest in the ring as a collectible, but my interest in it now is largely one of historical placement and meaning. I can be reached at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com (gameusedequip2@hotmail.com) -- thank you in advance.

both-teams-played-hard
06-25-2011, 10:15 PM
Reid,
This is an interesting situation. Unfortunately, I do not have the answers you seek. Hopefully other collectors will share some information.
Good Luck.

sportscentury
06-26-2011, 06:44 PM
Reid,
This is an interesting situation. Unfortunately, I do not have the answers you seek. Hopefully other collectors will share some information.
Good Luck.

Thanks, Warren. And thanks to Greg for his emails, too. Still stumped ... so I'm hoping someone can share some wisdom. Thanks to all.

Dewey2007
06-26-2011, 07:04 PM
Reid, I searched around on the NewspaperArchive.com website that I have an account with and could not find anything. Maybe I just didn't type in the correct search words so I'll look around some more and see if I can find an article that references him receiving a HOF ring of some sort.

Basketball-collector
06-27-2011, 08:33 AM
Perhaps SCP auction owner David Kohler might know.

sportscentury
06-27-2011, 11:51 AM
Reid, I searched around on the NewspaperArchive.com website that I have an account with and could not find anything. Maybe I just didn't type in the correct search words so I'll look around some more and see if I can find an article that references him receiving a HOF ring of some sort.

Dewey - thanks very much. I also sent you an email at your Alameda Sports Project. Please let me know what you find. Thanks again.

sportscentury
06-27-2011, 11:53 AM
Perhaps SCP auction owner David Kohler might know.

Thank you - good idea. I have sent a query to David and Dan at SCP. I hope they respond with some useful information.