PDA

View Full Version : KC Royals Media Guide Help

TNTtoys
06-25-2011, 11:22 AM
The discussion about Tom Gordon Royals jerseys prompted me to raise this thread. I would have combined with the other but I didn't want to hijack it.

Gordon's first year in the bigs was 1988, where he wore #36.

I have a blue road Tom Gordon Royals jersey, and have had this as part of my collection for a long time now. It's completely original apart from a restore of the name on back (done in the wrong font, but easily replaceable when I get around to it). There has been no number change on the jersey.

The problem with the jersey is that it is tagged 1987, set 1; 1 year prior to his call up.

I want to now make sure that the jersey is actually his. There is no evidence of there having been a different name on the back. Here are my thoughts as to what this could be:

1. Possible -- a jersey he wore during the pre-season in 1987 -- which I have yet to confirm that he was in the Royals camp (and if he was, did he wear #36?) I don't have a media guide / Street & Smith guide to confirm.

2. Possible -- the jersey was made up for him for 1987 but he never got the call up... hence it is game issued.

3. Possible -- the jersey was manufactured in 1987 but worn in 1988. That would make this a rookie season jersey... but I have no idea if the Royals passed their jerseys from year to year as some clubs did. Do any Royals experts know if this was done at all by the club?

4. Not likely -- the jersey was worn by another player during the 1987 season (I have confirmed that no rostered player on the 1987 Royals wore #36).

A photo of the front and back of my jersey --

CampWest
06-25-2011, 03:03 PM
Another interesting one. One more wrinkle to the story, Gordon wasn't called up until really late 1988... His first appearance was 9/8/1988.

CampWest
06-25-2011, 03:18 PM
4. Not likely -- the jersey was worn by another player during the 1987 season (I have confirmed that no rostered player on the 1987 Royals wore #36).

It is my understanding that the Royals did recycle a lot of jerseys through the minor league system back in the 80s. They would send Major League jerseys down to the minors, where the names would be removed and the jerseys reused. So another possibility is that the #36 1987 jersey was made for a 1986 Roster player, who either didn't stick out of camp, was released, etc. And the jersey then sent down to a minor league club for re-use.

In 1986 Rondin Johnson wore #36 with the big league club from 9/3/86-10/5/86. The jersey may have been made for him rather than Tom Gordon. I believe Rondin stayed with the Royals through 1988 at AAA Omaha.

To add further intrigue, Rondin was a second baseman at 5'10 160lb, he would probably wear a similar size jersey to Tom Gordon 5'9 170lb.

I hope its a Gordon jersey, but Rondin is unfortunately another candidate for 1987. As Rondin wore that number in 1986 and was still high up the organization in 1987 and just an injury away from a call-up.

Anyhow, something to consider.

TNTtoys
06-25-2011, 03:23 PM
It is my understanding that the Royals did recycle a lot of jerseys through the minor league system back in the 80s. They would send Major League jerseys down to the minors, where the names would be removed and the jerseys reused. So another possibility is that the #36 1987 jersey was made for a 1986 Roster player, who either didn't stick out of camp, was released, etc. And the jersey then sent down to a minor league club for re-use.

In 1986 Rondin Johnson wore #36 with the big league club from 9/3/86-10/5/86. The jersey may have been made for him rather than Tom Gordon. I believe Rondin stayed with the Royals through 1988 at AAA Omaha.

To add further intrigue, Rondin was a second baseman at 5'10 160lb, he would probably wear a similar size jersey to Tom Gordon 5'9 170lb.

I hope its a Gordon jersey, but Rondin is unfortunately another candidate for 1987. As Rondin wore that number in 1986 and was still high up the organization in 1987 and just an injury away from a call-up.

Anyhow, something to consider.

Wes,

A Media Guide for 1987 would be a great tool to either prove or disprove any of these theories. There are a few on ebay in the $3-4 price range. I'd gladly pick one up, but don't want to have to wait 1 week or so to read it (media mail to the east coast) if someone out there can just look it up this weekend.

Nick

TNTtoys
07-29-2011, 10:41 AM
Almost a whole month has gone by and still no joy. Last update was on June 25th, and I reached out to the forum to see who has a 1987 Media Guide. Nobody came up with one, so I proceeded to buy one on ebay. I was reluctant to go this route because I thought it would add a week on... little did I know that one month later I'd still be waiting for it to arrive in the mail! Worst $3.00 I ever spent.

Now I have a similar dilemma with a 1989 jersey. It's a number that was not worn by any players or coached that season. It was used only in spring training, has had its nameplate stripped off, and unless I can take a look at a 1989 media guide, I can't figure out whose jersey it is.

Does anyone out there have a 1987 or 1989 Kansas City Royals media guide? If so, please email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Many thanks,
Nick

escaperoyals
07-29-2011, 11:46 AM
Nick
I just sent you an email.
Dan