PDA

View Full Version : Another Steve Bartman???

EurekaDave
06-23-2011, 12:25 PM
Echoes of history in the Giants game last night. A foul ball drifted into the stands but the outfielder, Cody Ross, could have caught it. The fan caught it first, and was kicked out of the game.

Do you think that's fair to kick him out? The Giants could have used the out--but security people are much too heavy-handed these days. What do you think?

And whatever happened to Steve Bartman, the Cubs fan who interfered with the Moises Alou intended catch? Your thoughts.

Dave Silverbrand

Bondsgloves
06-23-2011, 12:30 PM
They actually didn't kick him out of the game, they moved his seat. They felt for his own safety they would relocate him in the park.

This was not even close to the Steve Bartman situation. The giants had the lead and this wasn't a playoff game. The other part was the guy didn't reach over into the field of play, the guy caught the ball in the stands.

It is hard to say how we would react, because your eyes are following the ball off the bat not the outfielder. However if your siting in the front row you should know better.

EurekaDave
06-23-2011, 12:41 PM
Thanks for that perspective. The only reason I made the connection is because Krukow and Kuiper (the announcers) mentioned it. They predicted that security would review the situation and take appropriate action. Apparently, they did.

I've often wondered about such things. Maybe I don't have enough to do.

Dave Silverbrand

brewcrew
06-23-2011, 02:28 PM
I believe Steve Bartman had to change his name and move away from Chicagoland, but my memory may be shoddy.

I never understood why people were so hard on the guy - he did what about 99.9% of us would do in the same situation. Then again, I'm not a Cub fan. ;)

sox83cubs84
06-23-2011, 04:32 PM
I never understood why people were so hard on the guy - he did what about 99.9% of us would do in the same situation. ;)

Count me in that .1% who wouldn't. I had a chance at a Cubs-Cardinals game in the mid-1970s to do the same thing, and I backed off. I got the ball anyway (fortuitous bounce) and the Cubs won the game (the ball in question was hit by a Cardinals batter).

Dave Miedema

slambam
06-23-2011, 09:41 PM
I believe Steve Bartman had to change his name and move away from Chicagoland, but my memory may be shoddy.

I never understood why people were so hard on the guy - he did what about 99.9% of us would do in the same situation. Then again, I'm not a Cub fan. ;)

I think that was just a rumor. Here is a great article on ESPN from back in '05. I really feel bad for the guy. This article, his statement after the incident, plus the fact that he could have really cashed in on this (back in '08 he declined an offer of $25k to attend the National Sports Collectors Convention in Chicago and autograph a photograph of himself tipping a foul ball is just one example) shows he is a class act.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=bartman

EurekaDave
06-24-2011, 01:45 PM
Thank you so much for that Bartman story. It was fascinating. As a reporter, I am alway intrigued by such stories and the space they occupy in our lives.

I am glad to see that Steve Barton maintains his integrity. I wish I could same the same for the Casey Anthony family, auctioning signed basebals which, when she is convicted, are supposed to skyrocket in value.

Different story--but nonetheless a commentary on a diverse and fascinating culture.

Dave Silverbrand

xpress34
06-24-2011, 04:08 PM
In Bartman's defense, the ball was also in the stands - not in the filed of play - and if you pay attention, the ball was coming at him while others in the stands lurched in the direction of the ball, so all the Cubbies fans who put the blame solely on Bartman need to find out who those others clowns were that lunged in there just the same and got NO blame because the ball only touched Bartman.

Just my .02

EurekaDave
06-24-2011, 11:11 PM
Totally missed this news. ESPN is doing a Steve Bartman documentary airing in the Fall. The story goes on....

Dave Silverbrand

trsent
06-25-2011, 01:51 AM
Steve Bartman did nothing wrong, but this city needs to blame their poorly run franchise on something or someone (like a black cat) so the guy took the blunt of the blame.

That game was so poorly managed as the pitching staff was not properly handled and the outfielder (Alou?) blamed the fan when he didn't do his job and push the fan in the stands out of the way.

Just more shame to a franchise that hasn't won in most living people's lifetimes.

djnos7
06-25-2011, 08:30 AM
Joel, how could he have pushed the fan out of the way when he was jumping up against the brick wall? LOL... either way i agree, that wasnt the straw that broke the cubbies back, alex gonzalez pulled a buckner and it was over after that, Prior never recovered and the game wasnt the same!!! One of the saddiest day of my life! Oh well not invested in that team after 08' and wont be until some drastic changes are made, top to bottom!!!

xpress34
06-25-2011, 09:24 AM
Joel, how could he have pushed the fan out of the way when he was jumping up against the brick wall?

Exactly my point! I think the Cubs and Alou wanted a scapegoat.

If the rest of the game had been played cleanly and error free, and the Cubs won, Steve Bartman's name would have been lost to history.

Add to that the fact that they didn't get ELIMINATED in that game and Bartman is the scapegoat like Buckner with the BoSox because the TEAM couldn't win the next Game.

If Bartman or Buckner had caused the series to end by their actions, I might feel differently, but both teams still had another game to play and they both blew it.

On a similar note, it's like the sour grapes that @$$ Rod put out there after leaving the Rangers when on the final day of the season - and out of contention - Buck Showalter decided to give the fans and the players a treat and played every guy on his bench against the Angels. The Rangers lost that day, but with the win, the Angels locked up Home Field advantage in the playoffs.

Instead of letting his team (the Yank Offs) accept responsibility for their own play causing them to lose out on Home Field Advantage, @$$ Rod blamed the Rangers and Buck Showalter for 'letting the Angels win' - basically accusing the Rangers of doing it because they had a 'vendetta' against him for leaving.

Like so many things in our society anymore, no one is ever to blame for their own actions - it seems that every thing that happens is the cause and fault of someone else.

Just my .02

godwulf
06-25-2011, 10:30 AM
I am glad to see that Steve Barton maintains his integrity. I wish I could same the same for the Casey Anthony family, auctioning signed basebals which, when she is convicted, are supposed to skyrocket in value.

If you're talking about the same story I read, about the ball on eBay, I don't think that auction has any connection with the Anthony family - just some idiot who thought it would be "cool" to have the mother and father of a murder victim (one of them the prime suspect) sign a baseball. And then have his photo taken with them! Sheesh.

I've had a few non-players sign baseballs for me, but I draw the line at pseudo-celebrity murder indictees.

EurekaDave
06-25-2011, 01:14 PM
It's true that people are fascinated with evil and awfulness -- for what reason I do not know. I'm glad the Anthony's are not party to that baseball auctioneer. But I'll bet that somewhere, someone is concocting a salesplan for baseballs signed by:

1. Whitey Bulger
2. Anthony Weiner
3. Joran Van der Sloot and ....?

Dave Silverbrand

trsent
06-25-2011, 01:44 PM
Joel, how could he have pushed the fan out of the way when he was jumping up against the brick wall? LOL... either way i agree, that wasnt the straw that broke the cubbies back, alex gonzalez pulled a buckner and it was over after that, Prior never recovered and the game wasnt the same!!! One of the saddiest day of my life! Oh well not invested in that team after 08' and wont be until some drastic changes are made, top to bottom!!!

Alou's job is to push the fan out of the way, running for the ball, with his glove. Watching the video, I see he was jumping so he couldn't move the fan back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX8OwMeE2MQ

About 2:50 into the video is the play.

Alou should be ashamed how he reacted. The guy did nothing out of the ordinary when a baseball is coming at you.