PDA

View Full Version : Packers Helmet Bricol?

scottanservitz
06-20-2011, 10:43 PM
Hello, all. I found this supposed Dave Robinson Packers helmet on Bricol's auction. I met Dave when I was coaching high school football a few years back and he is a super nice guy. I was wondering everyone's thoughts on this lid as it would look very cool with my autographed photo I received when I met Mr. Robinson. I know very little about helmets, so I am hoping somebody can chime in with their thoughts. Thanks a lot.

Scott
http://bricolsportsauction.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=ItemDetails&UserID=0&Category=0&consignerid=0&CategoryID=52&CategoryName=FEATURED%20ITEMS&ItemID=25

Gridiron Heroes
06-22-2011, 08:21 AM
The helmet looks solid IMO. Check Helmet Hut for a reference.

Shawn Kennedy
GridironHeroes.net
gridironheroes22@yahoo.com

helmets
06-22-2011, 08:25 PM
Would like to see a photo of Robinson using a double rivet (on center ridge) helmet. Not saying he never wore one, just saying i've never seen such a photo...

aeneas01
06-24-2011, 02:48 AM
from what i can tell robinson sported a double-rivet husky early in his career, through 1965, then switched to a single-rivet husky in 1966. it also appears that when he made the switch in helmet styles, he also switched from a bolt-on cage to a clip-on cage like other packers players. here's a shot of robinson in the final game of the 1965 season which, as it turned out, was the final nfl title game ever played (and the last game jim brown ever played). the striping tape under the left front rivet seems to match up well with the auction helmet as does an apparent impact transfer mark (left front of helmet). the "g" decal positioning doesn't appear to be a match but that can be explained...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/aeneas1/z02-9.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/aeneas1/z03-7.jpg

BrianK
06-24-2011, 11:23 AM
Did you win, Scott? That's a good looking helmet! So is the Raiders one.

scottanservitz
06-24-2011, 01:14 PM
No, I didn't win it. I wish I would have been more diligent but oh well. Something else will come along I'm sure....

aeneas01
06-24-2011, 04:03 PM
sold for $567 +juice - someone got an absolute steal. hopefully for the consignor, he set a hidden reserve that wasn't met and he got it back...

Vikingshelmetguy
06-24-2011, 04:42 PM
sold for $567 +juice - someone got an absolute steal. hopefully for the consignor, he set a hidden reserve that wasn't met and he got it back...

Wow, I agree that $567 is a total steal. I'd guess that that Packers RK is actually worth at at least $1000-$2000 or more.

CollectGU
06-24-2011, 05:25 PM
Hey Guys,

I picked it up, no hidden reserve, solely because it was too cheap to pass up....

Dave

aeneas01
06-25-2011, 11:10 AM
very nice score...

Vikingshelmetguy
06-25-2011, 12:25 PM
Hey Guys,

I picked it up, no hidden reserve, solely because it was too cheap to pass up....

Dave

Wow Dave! Congratulations! I am not a Packers fan (I am strictly a Minnesota Vikings helmet collector, and the Packers are the arch rivals of the Vikings), yet I think this Robinson Packers Husky RK that you purchased is one of most outstanding vintage RK suspension helmets I have seen.

commando
06-25-2011, 01:09 PM
Does everyone think bidding on the helmet was low for the because:

a) the economy is soft
b) the right people didn't see the auction
c) collectors are leery because so many helmets are faked or misreprestented, especially the vintage ones

ivo610
06-25-2011, 01:59 PM

a) the economy is soft
c) collectors are leery because so many helmets are faked or misreprestented, especially the vintage ones

Ill take C

solarlottry
06-25-2011, 05:56 PM
I think sometimes the actual auction house turns people off. From what I can remember Bricol does not have the greatest reputation although I have never had a bad experience myself. For all I know they may be the best auction house out there but I think that if certain auction houses have a seemingly "too good to be true" item then people shy away from bidding. On the other hand authentic items, such as this helmet, pop up now and then in situations such as this and a bargain can be found.

Several years ago Bricol had a game used 49ers 1994 jersey with team letter that had been worn in the NFC Championship game vs. the Cowboys. The shirt was worn by a starting member of the offense and was sold at a great price. Once in my possession I could see the remnants of the "Bronco tape" on the nameplate denoting the game it was worn and knew then that it was authentic. If the same shirt had been sold thru Grey Flannel or AMI it probably would have sold for 2-3X more.

There are still bargains to be found if one does one's homework and is careful about what they buy and from whom. There are still even major buyers and sellers of game used everything that sell game used items for a fixed price when just listing it on ebay would have brought them way more. The opposite is always true too but just by looking thru GUU and noting what people collect and how much they are willing to pay can make a big difference.

Just last week a jersey was sold that if listed on ebay I would have paid easily double the sellers asking price. By not taking the chance or at least knowing what people collect and how much they are willing to fork over cost this seller at least 1K!

Always looking for 49ers gamers especially 1994 shirts and will top all offers for quality 49ers game worn shirts. Always paying a finders fee!

Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com

aeneas01
06-25-2011, 07:03 PM

a) the economy is soft

i think several things conspired against the robinson, most notably it's made the rounds in recent months and was either pulled by the consignor or offers were declined - this overexposure probably casted doubt. however i do know of one collector who offered substantially more than the $567 it fetched, but was turned down. and, frankly, i'm not sure bricol would have been my first choice if i was committed to letting run it's course with no reserve - i really don't get that one.

as far as collectors being leery due to fake and misrepresented helmets, i believe these problems are much more prevalent when it comes to newer, more modern helmets as opposed to vintage football helmets. i also think these problems are prevalent when it comes to any other sports collectible, helmets certainly are not in a class of their own when it comes to fakes and/or misrepresentation.

slats7
06-25-2011, 07:36 PM
It's amazing how many times one jersey or one helmet keeps popping up in different auctions--passed around like an unwanted Christmas fruitcake. I guess some buyers just want to flip their memorabilia for a bigger profit.

CollectGU
06-26-2011, 03:18 PM
If any packer collectors have an interest in thishelmet, feel free to contact me at djob0001@yahoo.com. I do not plan on keeping it. It will either to to auction or up on ebay....

dave