PDA

View Full Version : Granderson Game Worn Jersey -- 1st Game as a Yankee

michaelpbell
06-19-2011, 12:38 PM
How much do you guys think Granderson's game worn jersey against the Red Sox back on 4/4/2010 (HR 1st At bat), his first Yankee's game is worth??

michaelpbell
06-19-2011, 02:16 PM
The jersey is MLB and Steiner Certified....

yankees506
06-19-2011, 04:55 PM
Steiner probably charged $1500 but id place the value at half that

Skizzick
06-19-2011, 09:27 PM
Steiner probably charged $1500 but id place the value at half that

I agree. You can pretty much value anything at half of what Steiner charges.

5toolplayer
06-19-2011, 11:33 PM
Are u looking to sell the jersey or buy it?

michaelpbell
06-21-2011, 07:35 PM
Looking to buy it, but right now the best price I can get it at is 1k

yankees506
06-21-2011, 07:41 PM
If you gotta have it then its your call but when re-sell time comes you will prob be looking at a loss.

legaleagle92481
06-21-2011, 09:42 PM
If you gotta have it then its your call but when re-sell time comes you will prob be looking at a loss.

disagree. it depends when you sell. if he keeps this start up and has six more years like this say 40 hr seasons and they win some more rings and hes regarded as alltime great yankee ala reggie then it will be worth much more than 1,500 in future. if your looking to buy for shortterm you still could make money off his big year. its not some run of mill jersey but 1st yankee one he ever wore.

yankees506
06-21-2011, 10:02 PM
disagree. it depends when you sell. if he keeps this start up and has six more years like this say 40 hr seasons and they win some more rings and hes regarded as alltime great yankee ala reggie then it will be worth much more than 1,500 in future. if your looking to buy for shortterm you still could make money off his big year. its not some run of mill jersey but 1st yankee one he ever wore.

I dont like to buy when there are a bunch "if's" involved. It maybe because im not a big jersey guy but my evaluation is that granderson is having a great start and these are the times a lot of people get caught in the "hype". I know i have and im pretty sure many others as well. As for granderson becoming reggie-esque, he would need a lot more character and 400+ more hrs :eek:

legaleagle92481
06-21-2011, 11:52 PM
I dont like to buy when there are a bunch "if's" involved. It maybe because im not a big jersey guy but my evaluation is that granderson is having a great start and these are the times a lot of people get caught in the "hype". I know i have and im pretty sure many others as well. As for granderson becoming reggie-esque, he would need a lot more character and 400+ more hrs :eek:

Im not saying he will be "reggie", i made the comparision because both were veteran outfielders who came to the Yankees, have low .bas, pop and very outgoing personalities. As you know 99.9% of great Yankee position players Gehrig, Mantle, Dimaggio, Berra, Dickey, Munson, Jeter, Posada, Bernie, Mattingly, etc. came up as Yankees. Of course Ruth was an exception but comparing anyone to him is silly. As far as hype it may not be. Yes, he is 30 but before this he played in Comerica which is a pitcher's park and it takes a year to adjust to a new team. yankee Stadium is a homer park so i would think they will keep on coming. Yes it is alot of ifs but if you have the money its worth the bet, like a very expensive lottery ticket. yankee fans would pay a fortune for a yankee great's first yankee jersey.

frikativ54
06-22-2011, 02:38 AM
How much do you guys think Granderson's game worn jersey against the Red Sox back on 4/4/2010 (HR 1st At bat), his first Yankee's game is worth??

Are you buying solely for investment purposes, or are you interested because you're a Granderson fan? Or both? If I were you, I would base my decision on what will mean the most to you. As others have said, I wouldn't get caught up in the hype. Steiner prices usually are high, but if you buy what you like, I bet you'll be happy - so long as you don't get ripped off. So if you're a Granderson fan and have the money, then go for it. But if you're on the fence, I'd hold off.

ereyes
06-22-2011, 01:49 PM
What should said is that its your opinion that Steiner's prices are high. Unless you can acquire another Granderson "first Yankees jersey" that he hit his first Yankees home run in to compare prices you can't make a general statement when it comes to this jersey.

What are you comparing Steiner prices too, Reds pricing, Rangers pricing? You can't compare unless you have, not only the same jersey, but the same jersey with the same use and used at the same time etc.

LastingsMilledge85
06-22-2011, 02:23 PM
What should said is that its your opinion that Steiner's prices are high. Unless you can acquire another Granderson "first Yankees jersey" that he hit his first Yankees home run in to compare prices you can't make a general statement when it comes to this jersey.

What are you comparing Steiner prices too, Reds pricing, Rangers pricing? You can't compare unless you have, not only the same jersey, but the same jersey with the same use and used at the same time etc.

In regards to Steiner, they are very high but can be negotiable depending on the item. You can't tell me that $1,000 for a Milledge locker room chair and $500 for a bag are outrageous prices. Keep in mind this was a few years removed from the Mets and his "super star potential" was long gone.

frikativ54
06-22-2011, 02:29 PM

I have nothing against Steiner, to be clear. You have a lot of nice items, many that I would love to have if I were a Yankees collector. But I do think I can make a statement with regard to how things are without necessarily wording it as an opinion.

Objectively speaking, I don't think that a .269 career hitter's jersey is worth $1,000. Granderson is having a great year judging by homers and RBI, but he's never reached the 100 RBI plateau once in his career, and his career strikeout numbers are very high. He also has only hit .300 once. His season seems to be an aberration.

I've dealt with a number of teams, and I would say that the Granderson jersey is overpriced. It's also not just about Steiner. When the Mariners wanted $1100 for a Justin Smoak jersey, I said "no" too. Despite these two examples, I've found that many teams are very fair, and that Steiner is on the more expensive side.

To be able to compare prices, you don't have to have the identical jersey from other teams. You can look at current performance, career stats, or any other metrics to decide what would be a ballpark monetary value for a jersey. The bottom line is what it's worth to the OP. If it means a lot to him, and he will enjoy it in his collection, then that's all that counts.

BULBUS
06-22-2011, 02:33 PM

You can say that Steiners prices are high compared to market prices. Most jersey purchased at those prices will never be sold at or above those prices. Purchase a 2011 Rivera jersey for 10K, put in any auction without a reserve, and you'll be lucky to get 50% back.

That being said, I do believe Steiner does price some items fair. Those are the items that sell before I can purchase them :D

frikativ54
06-22-2011, 07:45 PM
That being said, I do believe Steiner does price some items fair. Those are the items that sell before I can purchase them :D

Haha. I agree with you there. In no way did I mean to imply that all of Steiner's prices are too high; they have some decently valued stuff. I just don't get the 10k jersey prices and the expensive locker room chairs.

michaelpbell
06-26-2011, 06:46 PM
I pulled the trigger! Thank you for everyone for you thoughts!!

solarlottry
06-26-2011, 07:25 PM
As a collector of 49ers gamers for over 20 years I have overpaid (unfortunately) for shirts that I have wanted for my collection on so many occasions that I have lost count. What is important is how the shirt fits into your collection and why. For a Steve Young gamer that was worn the only time he faced Joe Montana (1994 vs. Chiefs) I overpaid by thousands of $$$. However there is only the one shirt he wore from what I consider an important game in 49er history and it came with a team letter and the equipment managers tape denoting the game. For me it was worth the extra cash. For others it was way overpriced.

If you are buying this stuff to sell and make $, think again! Thats what my job is for! If you like the shirt and it fits into your collection well then enjoy it and remember, for the most part, we make more $ but some shirts only come around only so often.

Always buying 49ers gamers especially 1994 shirts and ANY shirt with a team letter. Paying a generous finders fee if you hook me up with the right shirt!

Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com