Hey everyone-

The mlb World Baseball Classic auction is up and can be found at

http://wbc.auction.mlb.com/

Some interesting stuff there
Eric

suave1477
09-05-2006, 10:20 AM
definitely some interesting stuff.

I find it funny though anyone with somewhat of an inkling of a recognizeable name they add on $100 to start bidding. Compared to a no name common player which they start at $200.

Another thing is funny I didnt even realize some of the players that were involved were still even playing.
Ruben Rivera for the dominican league - Mariano's cousin REMEMBER HIM????
Paul Quantrill for Canada I thought by now he retired. Guess not!!!

Eric
09-06-2006, 09:17 AM
MLB.com Auction rolls out Classic items
09/05/2006 10:00 AM ET By Mark Newman / MLB.com

Everyone who comes to MLB.com over the next several weeks will be focused on how another remarkable year in baseball will end, but there also will be a steady reminder of how it all began.

From now into October, the MLB.com Auction (http://wbc.auction.mlb.com/) is featuring a gradual rollout of game-used items from the inaugural World Baseball Classic. Japan's victory over Cuba in the championship game was just one of many indelible memories from that 16-nation tournament conducted by Major League Baseball, and each week over the next six weeks, new items will be placed for bidding so fans can keep a cherished piece of history from what becomes an important cyclical event.

"By any stretch of the imagination, this tournament exceeded my expectations in a myriad of ways," Commissioner Bud Selig said about the legacy of the Classic, the first international baseball tournament to include Major League players. "The intensity in the stands, as well as the intensity on the playing field, was absolutely remarkable, and I'm not sure that going into it you could have felt that. I'm very confident that this will be the platform that we use to take this sport internationally to the dimension that I want to take it, and I believe that we will."

Some items used on the field during that event went straight to Cooperstown, and it appears that most everything else is now available to fans. The first array of those game-used items at the MLB.com Auction includes nearly 300 pieces of memorabilia, ranging from jerseys to baseballs to home plates to lineup cards to locker tags to on-deck circles.

Here are some of the highlights:
• The third base that became the center of an eighth-inning dispute
It was USA vs. Japan to start Round 2, and Japan's Tsuyoshi Nishioka tagged from third and beat the throw home by Randy Winn. The second-base umpire called Nishioka out for leaving this base too soon, but home plate umpire Bob Davidson overturned it, and it was the difference as the USA won.
• The baseball that Japanese star Ichiro Suzuki hit for a double off Cuba's Norberto Gonzalez to lead off the fifth inning in the championship game
"I am unbelievably happy," Ichiro said amid the din of fans that night at PETCO Park in San Diego. His helmet from that night went to the Hall of Fame. Some fan will be "unbelievably happy" to win the bidding on that ball. Ichiro scored the first of two Japan runs that inning, after extending his Classic hitting streak to eight games.
• Carlos Beltran game-worn Puerto Rico home jersey
Remember the scene at Hiram Bithorn Stadium in San Juan? The pageantry, the emotions, the pride ... and Beltran batting .423 with two homers and five RBIs as his warmup for what could be a 2006 Most Valuable Player season with the Mets. Or how about the first-pitch ball from Puerto Rico's tournament opener against Panama? Talk about history. Javier Vazquez threw it to Orlando Miller. It will be more valuable with every Classic to follow.
• Dominican Republic lineup card
In the months leading up to the Classic, the most popular topic was what the Dominican lineup might look like. Although it wasn't enough to win it all, it was still a sight to behold. This lineup card is from the semifinal loss to Cuba. As a reminder, here are just some of the names that appeared on this one: Miguel Tejada, David Ortiz, Albert Pujols, Adrian Beltre, Moises Alou, Jose Reyes and Alfonso Soriano. And Bartolo Colon was the starting pitcher.
• Roger Clemens game-used items
There's the lineup card signed by USA manager Buck Showalter, with Clemens' name written in as his first appearance in Team USA's first-round win over South Africa. Team USA won, 17-0, to just barely advance. There are also five baseballs available that Clemens actually pitched, four of them that were fouled off and then removed from play, and one that he used for a strikeout to end the third inning.
• Game-used ball from Shairon Martis' no-hitter
You remember the 18-year-old right-hander. Representing the Netherlands, he shut down Carlos Lee and Panama in that 10-0 mercy-rule victory.
• Yulieski Gourriel's No. 10 game-worn Cuba road jersey
This second baseman caught the eye of everyone who watched the Classic, finishing with two homers and then starting that three-run rally in the seventh to beat the Dominicans in the semifinal. Or Ivan Rodriguez's game-worn Puerto Rico jersey. Or Maggio Ordonez's game-worn Venezuela road jersey. There are jerseys for everyone here, worn by the players, and if they were selling like hotcakes at the MLB.com Shop last spring, then there is a very good chance these are going to have more value to many people around the world now.
• Team Mexico's on-deck circle
This is what Jorge Cantu, Vinny Castilla and other countrymen for Mexico's "Dream Team" used during their valiant and passionate run during the Classic, which included eliminating Team USA. Or maybe you'd like Fernando Valenzuela's locker tag. He was a coach in this event, and it goes along nicely with anyone's Fernando memorabilia from Dodger days past.

Similar reminders of the tournament will be everywhere in these final weeks of baseball, which seems only fitting considering that this event ushered in baseball last spring in a hugely popular way.
"To be around the guys who said yes to this was a treat in itself," said Reds outfielder Ken Griffey Jr., who led Team USA by going 11-for-21 with three homers. "I got a chance to know different personalities, and I think it was pretty awesome that we were able to do this. The results weren't what we would like to have, but I would do it again any time." Yes, there's something in the MLB.com Auction from Griffey, too.

allstarsplus
06-08-2008, 01:43 PM
Here is a cool item from the team from Venezuela.

http://auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=94839951&prmenbr=33072944&aunbr=95186661

They also have some other team On Deck circles.

allstarsplus
06-08-2008, 01:52 PM
http://auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/Search?GO_SEARCH=YES&textsearch=world+classic&au_nbr=&minprice=&maxprice=&status=O&category_select=-1&wl=33072944

Also dozens of jerseys from the WBC

mr.miracle
06-08-2008, 01:55 PM
Here is a cool item from the team from Venezuela.

http://auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=94839951&prmenbr=33072944&aunbr=95186661

They also have some other team On Deck circles.

They have some absolutely hammered game used bases from the WBC on there as well. These things are just covered in dirt.

BIGSTIG
06-08-2008, 02:13 PM
I wonder where all the USA items went. I see they have 1 base and 1 ball?? I was very excited to buy a piece of memorabilia from team USA. I was lucky enough to be out in AZ that week to see USA play Mexico and Canada. What a great time for autographs!! What I really wanted (being a Die Hard cubs fan) was something D. Lee or Michael Barrett. I have payed attention to MLB WBC auctions and have not seen either of their jerseys up for auction. I will be honest as the time went on, I have payed less attention to the auctions and maybe one slipped by me. I see the on-deck circles, and think it would be pretty cool to get the USA one, but I have not seen that yet either. I don't know just kind of dissapointed in what they rolled out for the auction.