PDA

View Full Version : do you usually purchase your items in full or installments?

costas
06-17-2011, 01:12 PM
most of us have probably come across a piece that was out of our price range but still decided to purchase it with credit. I'd like to know if it is usually better to purchase the item with credit in full, or if it's better using an installment plan (if the seller offers this option). does either one save you money, or does it all come out even in the end whether you purchase in full or in payment plans? thanks!

Greenbaumer
06-17-2011, 01:17 PM
If I can't pay cash for it, I don't need it. I feel that way about 99% of things in life outside of my house/car.

mad87man
06-17-2011, 07:02 PM
Its kind of tough. I usually buy it flat out as i hate owing companies money. If its a credit card i don't mind but if i owe for instance JO sports i just hate the idea of owing them. I usually pay by credit card and then pay that off.

frikativ54
06-17-2011, 07:31 PM
Unless it's a really big ticket item, I typically PayPal the money in full upfront. I like the feeling of a transaction's being settled and to be able to offer the seller the full amount. I'm the type who likes to work at a steady pace, and I believe that paying upfront is a way of showing a seller confidence in his item.

I don't have a problem accepting payment plans as a seller. However, as a buyer, I feel that some payment plans are ways for sellers to convince those purchasing to buy an item they barely can afford and don't really need.

Shipp_96
06-17-2011, 08:47 PM
I personally have a budget, and if I cannot negotiate to that budgeted price with the seller/company, I pass on the item.

I have paid with Paypal credit now and then when I might be a little short for a week or two, but then make sure to pay that amount off on the next billing cycle (or before to avoid the added finance charges).

I have never done a payment plan before with a seller, and not sure if I would unless it was a holy grail for me. Even then, I don't know...

Mattapan03
06-18-2011, 12:22 AM
Ive done both, but I have to say the difficult part comes when there is another item you want WHILE you're still in the process of paying off the other one. When it rains.....it pours.

Dewey2007
06-18-2011, 12:41 AM
I've done it both ways too. I've paid for two items in installments with two trusted people in the hobby and it worked out great. I approached them with the idea and we worked out a payment plan. It allowed me to make a monthly payment towards the item while leaving me with extra hobby money each month to make other purchases. To me the payment plan option wasn't that big of a deal. You have to wait a little longer to get the item in hand but as long as you know it's coming it's all good.