PDA

View Full Version : Rick Leach Texas Rangers jersey HELP

mlupo
06-16-2011, 03:50 PM
I'm hoping some members could share their thoughts on a 1989 Texas Rangers Rick Leach jersey. My knowledge of game used jerseys is strictly Detroit Tigers from mid-90's to present, so I have really no idea what to look for on this 89 Rangers. If you guys could look over the photos and let me know your thoughts that would be a HUGE help for me. Thanks

Mike

sox83cubs84
06-16-2011, 08:40 PM
The NOB font does not look to match other Rangers gamers...too wide.

Dave Miedema

mlupo
06-17-2011, 01:47 AM
The NOB font does not look to match other Rangers gamers...too wide.

Dave Miedema

Dave, thank you for the input. I don't mean to challenge your knowledge, but I found this Getty photo of Leach with the Rangers in 89. Granted it is his road uni, but to my untrained eye it seems like the width and spacing of the numbers looks similar. Dave, what are your thoughts on the tagging, is it correct for the period? should there also be a jersey number along with the strip tag?

Please, anyone else that knows late 80's Rangers gamers please feel free to chime in on the lettering, tagging or any other area, I would just like to be as educated as possible. Also if anyone can find a photo of the back of Leach's home jersey in 89 I would love to see it.

ahuff
06-17-2011, 06:08 AM
Here are some shots of what my 1986, 1987, and 1990 Kunkels look like. I use to have a 1989 road Kunkel, but I sold it (Still regret it). I wish I could remember what the tagging looked like, but I don't remember it at all. I don't recall ever seeing the entire year on the tag like that...most of my Ranger jerseys look just like this sampling.

mlupo
06-17-2011, 12:10 PM
AHUFF, thanks for the help, but not what I was hoping to see :( This one is a real head scratcher to me, all signs point to it not being real, but I cant imagine there is money to be made in faking a Leach jersey, but I guess people will do anything to make a buck or two. Unless someone can offer some info pointing to this being real then it look like I'm going to have to pass on this one.:(

sox83cubs84
06-17-2011, 01:36 PM
That 4-digit year notation is disconcerting to me, as well...a four-digit year is the way to spot a 1989 or 1990 Score Board Nolan Ryan. I'm sure that Score Board didn't make any Rick Leach jerseys...is it possible that this was a Rangers minor league jersey that suddenly "became" a Leach with the addition of a NOB?

Dave Miedema