PDA

View Full Version : orioles flannel

rluck
06-11-2011, 01:59 PM
I believe the Orioles converted from flannel jerseys to knit jerseys sometime during the 1971 season. There are photos of Orioles players from 1971 wearing flannel and also players wearing knit. Does anyone know precisely when in 1971 they changed? Thanks

ironmanfan
06-11-2011, 04:29 PM
I believe the Orioles converted from flannel jerseys to knit jerseys sometime during the 1971 season. There are photos of Orioles players from 1971 wearing flannel and also players wearing knit. Does anyone know precisely when in 1971 they changed? Thanks

The Orioles first wore knit jerseys in the 1971 All Star Game in Detroit and wore them as a team for the 2nd half of the season...However, flannels were worn on occasion during that 2nd half as well....1972 was the first full season that they wore knit.

sox83cubs84
06-11-2011, 04:43 PM
The Orioles first wore knit jerseys in the 1971 All Star Game in Detroit and wore them as a team for the 2nd half of the season...However, flannels were worn on occasion during that 2nd half as well....1972 was the first full season that they wore knit.

Also, they wore knit in the ALCS and World Series, too. While the Rawlings home whites and the Spalding road greys are the two familiar ones, the O's also had an orange alternate jersey made by Brooks Robinson Sporting Goods that they wore occasionally. This style is truly rare...Phil Wood recounted several years ago in his now-defunct newsletter that the only 2 of this style he was aware of in the hobby were a Jim Frey and a Clay Dalrymple, both of which had NOBs removed. It's possible 1 or 2 more have surfaced since then, but they're still quite rare, and (so far) unheard of in all-original condition.

Dave Miedema

rluck
06-11-2011, 08:49 PM
I want to thank the two of you very much for you response. One can do research only so much before you need the assistance from individuals who have the knowledge to answer your questions. Thanks again!