PDA

View Full Version : Cal Ripken 1994 Nike Game Used Cleats

ripkengamers
09-04-2006, 08:31 AM
CAL RIPKEN COLLECTORS:

I'm finally parting with some of my Ripken collection due to debt and employment circumstances. Up for grabs is an incredible pair of Cal's cleats used during the 1994 season. I hate to part with these items but family always comes first!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=018&item=280024634732

ripkengamers
09-08-2006, 08:50 AM
I'm curious and have a general question about the price of cleats in general and what drives the cost in collectors minds. This is in no way a gripe about anyone's interest in my pair of Ripken cleats for auction on eBay.

In reference to Ripken items (which I'm most knowledgeable), in many cases collectors are willing to spend $2.5k to $6k for a Ripken jersey. Although there are many "questionable" Rip jerseys out there, there seems to be at least one in every major auction.
Ripken cleats, on the other hand, are rarely seen for sale on the open market and only in rare cases on any of the major auction sites.

Why aren't collectors interested in an item of memorabilia which is 5x to 10x more rare than a jersey in some cases?

Any legitimate game used cleats worn by players prior to the mid 90's is hard to find but yet collectors are not willing to spend an equivalent price for them.
I'm curious what other collectors have to say on this subject.

Yankwood
09-08-2006, 09:33 AM
In my case, my wife does not mind that I collect bats and she even seems to be quite fond of the smell of pine tar. In fact on special occasions, I even rub bat handles on my face. However, she absolutely draws the line when the smell of stinky feet enter the realm of possibility.