PDA

View Full Version : Barry Bonds "game issued"

treant985
06-08-2011, 05:18 PM
This Bonds bat in Leland's auction says "game issued." http://www.lelands.com/Auction/AuctionDetail/67371/June-2011-Catalog/Sports/Baseball-Equipment/Lot176~2001-Barry-Bonds-Signed-Game-Issued-Sam-Bat

I asked Sam Holman about it, and he said (as I suspected) that the line underneath "31.7oz" means it's a trophy bat and that weight is just the player's standard bat. Thus, this was never intended to be a game bat.

I emailed Lelands, and they said they'd look into it. But it seems all they did was add that the bat was never actually used.

SAM bat isn't known for doing many trophy bats. This one really DID come from Bonds. I just wouldn't say it's "game issued" because he likely never was going to use it in a game.

trsent
06-09-2011, 01:58 AM
This Bonds bat in Leland's auction says "game issued." http://www.lelands.com/Auction/AuctionDetail/67371/June-2011-Catalog/Sports/Baseball-Equipment/Lot176~2001-Barry-Bonds-Signed-Game-Issued-Sam-Bat

I asked Sam Holman about it, and he said (as I suspected) that the line underneath "31.7oz" means it's a trophy bat and that weight is just the player's standard bat. Thus, this was never intended to be a game bat.

I emailed Lelands, and they said they'd look into it. But it seems all they did was add that the bat was never actually used.

SAM bat isn't known for doing many trophy bats. This one really DID come from Bonds. I just wouldn't say it's "game issued" because he likely never was going to use it in a game.

What "game issued" means has been debated here many times. The seller always feels "game issued" means the same thing the player would have used in a game. The buyer wishes the item would have sat in the locker but was never used.

You are not going to win any arguments with either side. If the item is identical to what the player would use in a game, "game issued" is acceptable, especially from the seller's point of view.

treant985
06-09-2011, 08:54 AM
What "game issued" means has been debated here many times. The seller always feels "game issued" means the same thing the player would have used in a game. The buyer wishes the item would have sat in the locker but was never used.

You are not going to win any arguments with either side. If the item is identical to what the player would use in a game, "game issued" is acceptable, especially from the seller's point of view.

I knew there were debates there, but I figured that debate was more like 'game issued' v. 'game prepped.'

I doubt any of us would say a LVS with a line under the 125 would be "game issued." It's the same thing here--a trophy bat.

David
06-09-2011, 12:01 PM
Could say player issued. Issued to the player. Though many would still interpret that term to mean it was made for game use.

David
06-09-2011, 12:01 PM
Just shows that sometimes a label is not enough, and further explanation of the details is needed.

treant985
06-10-2011, 02:59 PM
Just shows that sometimes a label is not enough, and further explanation of the details is needed.

Agreed.

Hopefully anybody bidding on it (or who plans to) will see this page and know exactly what they're getting. Maybe they don't really care, but then again maybe they will.

kprst6
06-10-2011, 03:21 PM
IMO there are 2 types of "game issued items".

1. A true game-issued item that was made for a player, security tagged, and or prepared to be used (taped, sanded, molded, etc). The item was literally available to be used as a backup jersey, bat, stick, glove, pants etc. and/or was never used because of an injury and so on. There are signs that a player would have actually used this item because of security tagging, tape jobs, etc but the item(s) have 0 signs of usage.

2. Another "game-issued" item should be more accurately be defined as "pro-stock". This item was never security tagged, never left the storage room, and the player never intended on using the item. An example would be a player not liking the color, size, weight of an item or maybe they switched companies. If there is no sign a player would have ever used an item, I would consider it "pro stock"