PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Oklahoma Sooners Football Jerseys

LandRunSports
06-07-2011, 08:31 PM
Does anyone have Sooner items in their collection? Even if you're not willing to sell, I would love to see what you have. Suggestions on locating this request would be greatly appreciated. Already aware of collegejersey and ebay.

I can be emailed at the link below.

Thanks

Brian
Brian@landrunsports.com

Shipp_96
06-07-2011, 09:57 PM
Best to go right to the source, whenever possible:

http://auctions.cbssports.com/gallery.cfm?view_ID=47

LandRunSports
06-07-2011, 10:56 PM
Thanks. I'm familiar with that one (cbs sports) too. The jerseys are listed by the University of Oklahoma and are not always accurate. I appreciate the response.

Shipp_96
06-07-2011, 11:32 PM
Sorry to hear that. I am curious, why are they not accurate? I have usually had good experiences when buying direct from the team/school.

The exception has always been MLB items that are rarely accurate to the hologram. But NFL/NCAA wise, I have always had good experiences.

LandRunSports
06-09-2011, 01:21 PM
My inaccurate comment was targeted toward the University ofOklahoma and their Internet Services department. I am unaware of the practices done by otherinstitutions regarding their marketing tactics when selling"game-worn" items.

The University of Oklahoma, where to begin?

Let’s start with what looks like a 2006 Curtis Loftongame-worn signed Fiesta Bowl jersey. Sowhat’s the big deal about Curtis Lofton? He was a 2007 All-American linebacker & Big XII Defensive Player ofthe Year; he was drafted in the 2nd round by the Atlanta Falcons. The jersey (below) was being auctioned bysoonersports.com and auctions.cbssports.com. The auction title/description: “Curtis Lofton Signed Game-Worn FiestaBowl No. 40 jersey”.

I purchased the jersey. Problem #1…

You’ll notice on the first picture that a black sharpie wasused to remove the players name on the tag, below the size #44. Afterlooking closely at the tag, I could still read the players name and it was notLofton, but in fact it read, Zaslaw. Whothe heck is Zaslaw? I scrambled for my2006 media guide and learned that the #40 was duplicated that season. Curtis Lofton and Dane Zaslaw both wore #40.

I expressed my concern to the University of Oklahoma andreturned the jersey. About a year later,the jersey popped up on their website again and the tag was removed? BUT, the title and description were still thesame. The jersey actually sold for moremoney the second time around.

Problem #2, the players got to keep their Fiesta Bowljerseys. The University was selling backup jerseys and claiming they were “game-worn Fiesta Bowl” jerseys. In fact, a member on here recently purchaseda Juaquin Iglesias Fiesta Bowl jersey from JO Sports (see the photo matchedtitle in the forum). Funny thing, theUniversity also sold they claimed to have been Iglesias’ Fiesta Bowljersey. Jarrod had the jersey on hiswebsite at the same time soonersports.com was selling theirs. Same thing happened to the Allen Patrickjersey that can be seen on JOsportsco.com (that jersey is now sold). I can assure you these were not the same jerseysbeing sold by JO Sports and Soonersports.

That was one example. Here’s another…

I’ve also seen soonersports.com auction a jersey with thenameplate still intact, but the style of the jersey didn’t match the years theplayer was enrolled at the University. Example; the style of the OU jersey was the same from 2000 - 2005, theword “Sooners” was screen printed on the front. In 2006 the jersey style/material changed and the word “Sooners” is nowsewn on the front.

The sad thing about it, the University of Oklahoma sendsCertificates of Authenticity with the jerseys. How can anyone dispute that? Isee Oklahoma jerseys on ebay all the time by people who claim they were gameworn and offer certificates of authenticity by the university, but the majorityof specific players named jerseys are false. This type of practice is killingthe hobby!
Sorry for the long winded response.

UTeric3232
06-09-2011, 07:24 PM
Well dam....they are sooners...what do you expect?!? ;)

Shipp_96
06-09-2011, 09:39 PM
That is just insane. Wow, I do not blame you for your disdain of their services!

I know Penn State sell game worn jerseys and get them signed by former greats, but they put in print they did not wear them, it's just the same number they wore. I'm OK with that, because you know up front.

LandRunSports
06-09-2011, 10:16 PM
I'm not sure why my words were meshed together on my post earlier today?

I would still like to see pictures from other members that collect or have OU jerseys in their collection.

Here's another example on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/JT-Thatcher-Autographed-Oklahoma-Game-Jersey-/150596167223?pt=US_Football&hash=item23103b2637

The guy selling the jersey bought it from soonersports.com for $220. He is now selling it for $1000 and will tell you its game worn. Pathetic.

BrianK
06-10-2011, 09:55 AM
This type of practice is killing the hobby!

Absolutely right.