PDA

View Full Version : Harper starting his cockiness

yanks12025
06-07-2011, 02:16 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Video-Bryce-Harper-hits-home-run-blows-kiss-to?urn=mlb-wp8753

What happened to all these storys about Harper being a nice kid and all. He's only in Single-A and he's already starting to show up pitchers and the game of baseball. Could he stand and watch that homerun ball any longer, and then later blowing a kissing to the pitcher. In the majors if he did that, his next at-bat he would be hitting the dirt... What a joke...

And whats up with his mustache?

freddiefreeman5
06-07-2011, 02:22 PM
Many big league players like to stand and watch the ball when they hit a homerun.
Many pitchers yell and pump their fist when they get an out.

The pitcher cussed him as he was rounding the bases. Harper blew him a kiss as he crossed home.

Harper, who is 18, didn't start a fight or cuss back. He puckered up his lips.

But lets not let fact get in the way of your prejudice.

yanks12025
06-07-2011, 02:45 PM
Yeah he got cussed at because he was standing there and watching the ball leave the park. And Yes some major league players do and alot of them get looked at as showing them up, same when pitchers get out of hand sometimes.

And even if the pitcher was cussing at him, he should not be blowing kisses at the pitcher when it's his fault.

yanks12025
06-07-2011, 02:53 PM
Many big league players like to stand and watch the ball when they hit a homerun.
Many pitchers yell and pump their fist when they get an out.

The pitcher cussed him as he was rounding the bases. Harper blew him a kiss as he crossed home.

Harper, who is 18, didn't start a fight or cuss back. He puckered up his lips.

But lets not let fact get in the way of your prejudice.

Reread the article and no where does it say the pitcher was cussing at him. So how about you check your facts.

freddiefreeman5
06-07-2011, 03:11 PM
Reread the article and no where does it say the pitcher was cussing at him. So how about you check your facts.
I never said I read that in the article. People I know that were at the game saide you could hear the pitcher from the stands.

I love how people expect Harper to be the next Jesus Christ when that is impossible.

Just because a person claims to believe in God does not make them perfect.

Your own rant is worse than what he did.

yanks12025
06-07-2011, 03:28 PM
Haha... My "rant", you're a funny guy. All I did was posted the article and expressed how it went against what alot of people hear have said about him. Referring to he's nothing but a nice kid and great role model,etc. Role models dont do these acts and I don't expect him to be Jesus at all...

freddiefreeman5
06-07-2011, 03:37 PM
Yeah, you just posted an article, didnt rag on a teenager at all. ;)

And I don't know anyone that thinks of him as a role model. Where did you get that idea?

Jealous much?

alltimegiants
06-07-2011, 07:16 PM
yeah, when i heard about it on KNBR (Bay Area Sports Talk Station) ... I was "WHAT ALREADY, He's Only 18 !! DUMB,":eek:

mariner_gamers
06-07-2011, 09:11 PM
Everything I have heard/read about Bryce is he is cocky. This is not a revelation to anyone who has followed him the past few years. He is an extremely talented kid who has been hounded by the media, agents, etc. for years. I dig his passion and find the uproar over a single A game laughable. The fact it is such a big story is testament to the expectations everyone has put on him. So far he is living up to all of them.

jppopma
06-07-2011, 09:16 PM
Show me any 18 year old that isn't cocky??? I'd actually expect Harper to mature over his career.

jobathenut
06-07-2011, 09:22 PM
I know i will get slammed for this.But this kid is just that a kid.And he needs to understand he is playing pro baseball and not wiffleball with the neighborhood kids anymore.He will wise up when he gets called up and gets one in the ear flap.Lets see him blow a kiss or wear his lady gaga eye make-up then.Kid has talent i will give him that.But i dont like his antics-

DJaeger22
06-07-2011, 09:41 PM
i saw him play a week ago in hagerstown, the cockiness is well warranted. he is ridiculously good, its kind of scary. i hope zimmerman being down there for a game or two helped him out, he seems like a good influence

jobathenut
06-07-2011, 09:52 PM
I dont understand why being good makes it warrented to be cocky.I mean you can be great and still have class.I understand he is still a kid but he is getting attention for the wrong reasons.Let your talent get you attention and not your silly antics.
i saw him play a week ago in hagerstown, the cockiness is well warranted. he is ridiculously good, its kind of scary. i hope zimmerman being down there for a game or two helped him out, he seems like a good influence

DJaeger22
06-07-2011, 09:58 PM
thats very true, im surprised his next AB he didnt get a ball to the back

jobathenut
06-07-2011, 10:02 PM
He did'nt-wow.Yeah i am surprised at that.He would in the majors especially in the good old days of beanball.
thats very true, im surprised his next AB he didnt get a ball to the back

DJaeger22
06-07-2011, 11:00 PM
they said they gave him a brush back but i would have thought more would be expected

AWA85
06-07-2011, 11:40 PM
If this is the worst thing the kid does before he reaches his twenties, he is doing A OK in my book. If any other player drafted in the 20th round did something like this, only the 400 people in the stadium would ever know about it.

freddiefreeman5
06-08-2011, 12:15 PM
yanks12025,
I bet you flipped your lid when Ortiz flipped his bat! :D

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2011/06/08/flip_flap_involving_ortiz_girardi_spices_up_red_so x_yankees/

dirtyla2000
06-09-2011, 12:48 AM

What does he have to be cocky about ? He will play for the Nationals one day !:D

brianborsch
06-10-2011, 09:12 PM
I agree with some of you. Just because he is good doesn't warrant cockiness. The classic saying is: "Pride comes before the fall." Yes, he is talented, but he shouldn't flaunt it. It may not last. How many players have killed it in A ball only to suck eggs in the Majors? AA, AAA, and the Bigs is much different than A ball or even College for that matter.
He has alot of potential, but if he remains cocky, his fan-base will thin and then what good is it?
Baseball is a game of class. We don't need another Ty Cobb in the league in terms of attitude. Not unless we have a Honus Wagner to keep him in place! ;)

freddiefreeman5
06-11-2011, 12:02 AM
His fan base will be as big as anyones.

Look at how many people here collect players who are known cheaters.

freddiefreeman5
06-11-2011, 12:04 AM
You also have people who collect and love players who are not only jerks on the field off of it too.

I think some of you really don't know these players like you think you do.

LastingsMilledge85
06-11-2011, 12:53 AM
His fan base will be big as long as he produces. If he's a flop, then everyone will be on the next hyped prospect (Trout, Starling, etc.). Unless you personally know Bryce Harper, which I'm banking on no one here does, you really can only base your opinion by how he handles himself on the field and with the media. It seems though players at the Major League level are a little put off by the guy. I remember when he struck out in his first big league spring training at-bat and struck out, a player quipped on how they don't throw 90 mph in college ball. Seems like a harmless guy when a bat isn't in his hands, but really does not properly carry himself.

freddiefreeman5
06-11-2011, 01:24 AM
Yeah, how a player handles himself should count for something.
Maybe he should take some tips from your favorite player Lastings Milledge.
Lets take a look at how your favorite player has handled himself over the past few years.
;)

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2872891

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2003-08-05/sports/18236746_1_sexual-lastings-milledge-northside-christian-school

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2006-08-01/sports/18348944_1_lastings-milledge-majors-bump

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2008-02-28/sports/29428567_1_lastings-milledge-billy-wagner-cliff-floyd

LastingsMilledge85
06-11-2011, 02:31 AM
When did I ever say Milledge is a quintessential role model player? Look at how he previously handled himself (still has some attitude issues today) and his lack of production. Where's his fan base? Me? Probably that's it.

freddiefreeman5
06-11-2011, 02:52 AM
I just found it very odd that a fan of Lasting's would be pointing out flaws of any other baseball player.

To be honest I was a fan myself of Milledge. I really thought he could be a great player. I still think he can be if he wants to be.

Sometimes I think we forget to enjoy the players talents and focus too much on their personalities.

I didn't mean to argue, I just want to give the kid some time to grow up. Can you imagine the pressure on him to produce after all the hype he has had for so long? I would imagine that many of us wouldn't handle it very well.

brianborsch
06-11-2011, 04:35 AM
But with great power comes great responsibility. Harper should try to not be cocky. It will come back and bite him in the ass. 100% for certain. He is not God and I bet his shit does stink. So get back to reality. He'll get a wakeup call. You all will see.

BB

freddiefreeman5
06-11-2011, 05:23 AM
Well, he's not Spider Man you know. :D

And he is not God either. I just wish everyone else would remember that they are not God either.

LastingsMilledge85
06-11-2011, 11:49 AM
I just found it very odd that a fan of Lasting's would be pointing out flaws of any other baseball player.

Did I point out flaws in Bryce or any other baseball player for that matter...nope.

BaseballGM
06-11-2011, 12:04 PM
Leave it to Yankees fans to be the first to criticize future stars that their team can't buy. I hope Harper blows a kiss to monument park when he's rounding the bases up there in 2013.

brianborsch
06-11-2011, 12:39 PM
I didn't say he was Spiderman or God. I was just making a point that he can't be excused just because he has skills and talent. Obviously you have an attachment to him (which is cool) because anytime anyone says something about the incident, you get all defensive and ready to confront.
Like I alluded to before, MLB does not need another Ty Cobb who thinks he can do or say whatever he wants because he is that good. Just not good for business, career, or life.
Lets learn from other's past mistakes:
"In his last days, Cobb spent some time with the old movie comedian Joe E. Brown, talking about the choices Cobb had made in his life. He told Brown that he felt that he had made mistakes, and that he would do things differently if he could. He had played hard and lived hard all his life, and had no friends to show for it at the end, and he regretted it."

freddiefreeman5
06-11-2011, 01:05 PM
The only "attachment" I have with Harper is the fact that I am tired of grown men taking pot shots at an 18 year old.
He has not even gotten out of A ball and you are comparing him to Ty Cobb.
Very nice of you to compare him to a dirty player and a racist.
Where do you get a degree to judge others? Or is it just your way of being a good role model?
If you have children or plan on having them one then I hope for their sakes that they are perfect.

freddiefreeman5
06-11-2011, 01:17 PM
You're right that baseball doesn't need another Ty Cobb.
Baseball needs someone who plays like Pete Rose.
I see the same fire in Harper as I saw in Rose.
I can only hope that he keeps that fire and doesn't let complainers put it out.

kellsox
06-11-2011, 01:55 PM
The only "attachment" I have with Harper is the fact that I am tired of grown men taking pot shots at an 18 year old.
He has not even gotten out of A ball and you are comparing him to Ty Cobb.
Very nice of you to compare him to a dirty player and a racist.
Where do you get a degree to judge others? Or is it just your way of being a good role model?
If you have children or plan on having them one then I hope for their sakes that they are perfect.

Age is not a factor in the criticism of Harper. He fast- tracked himself to be a professional baseball player. That is what he now is, a professional. With accolades will also come criticism - whether he is 18 or 38. From several accounts he plays the game very hard and from others he sounds like a real punk. I personally don't care much for him. Incidents like blowing kisses at pitchers after home runs and wearing eye black like a pro wrestler will not sit well with his peers.

brianborsch
06-11-2011, 02:32 PM
Freemon dude,

I'm not saying he has to be perfect, I'm saying just be a professional. Not a stupid punk. And yeah, if I have kids I would hope they are professionals and not punk kids with a better than you attitude.
I just worry when peeps like you have kids and let them do whatever they want and use the excuse "nobody is perfect".

Bottom Line: Harper does not hold himself like a professional. That's it. It's a yes or no situation, and in Harper's case, it's a "No" so far. Maybe he will grow out of it, maybe not. We'll have to wait and see.

brianborsch
06-11-2011, 02:41 PM
Mike Schmidt quoted as saying:

"The competition on the field is gonna have to figure out a way to police this young man, if indeed his manager won't, the game will end up taking care of him."

Mike couldn't have said it better. As Jackie Gleason said "Pow, right in the kisser."

freddiefreeman5
06-11-2011, 02:56 PM
Freemon dude,

I'm not saying he has to be perfect, I'm saying just be a professional. Not a stupid punk. And yeah, if I have kids I would hope they are professionals and not punk kids with a better than you attitude.
I just worry when peeps like you have kids and let them do whatever they want and use the excuse "nobody is perfect".

Bottom Line: Harper does not hold himself like a professional. That's it. It's a yes or no situation, and in Harper's case, it's a "No" so far. Maybe he will grow out of it, maybe not. We'll have to wait and see.
This "peep" has 3 boys. All of whom have been raised to never think they are better than anyone else.
To know that while no one is perfect but that there consiquences to your actions.
They go to bed at 8 pm on school nights and 9 pm on non-school nights.
They say yes sir and yes maam.
They get whippings when they need them.
They hold the door for others.
They do chores around the house.
They do not get an allowence. They are taught that we are all part of a family and work together.

So yes this "peep" does teach his sons that nobody is perfect.
This "peep" also teaches his boys that those who point there finger the most have 3 more pointed back at them.

It amazes this "peep" how people expect everyone to be what they think they should be while being what they hate the most.

freddiefreeman5
06-11-2011, 02:58 PM
Mike Schmidt quoted as saying:

"The competition on the field is gonna have to figure out a way to police this young man, if indeed his manager won't, the game will end up taking care of him."

Mike couldn't have said it better. As Jackie Gleason said "Pow, right in the kisser."
Woohoo, lets root for some violence. The kid blows a kiss and you want him hit with a baseball. Way to go sport. :cool:

brianborsch
06-11-2011, 03:20 PM
Congratulations to you and your family. Although like Harper, based on some of your comments and retorts on this thread, we wouldn't even imagine that you were an adult with children.
I am not saying Harper needs to live up to what I expect out of him, I'm just saying he has a job as a professional and he is not being professional. Even you can't deny that what he did was classless and UNPROFESSIONAL. That's all! He can smoke crack, beat his kids, kick dogs...I DON'T CARE! Just stating the fact that he is in A Ball and he is making a big deal about "how good he is" and A Ball results don't mean anything! And you defend him like it's ok to watch your home run for a few seconds and blow kisses at pitchers like you are God's gift to the world? Ridiculous!

And about him getting hit with a baseball, that is not what I was saying at all! I don't hope for it. LOL But I can't say that he didn't deserve it when it happens. You reap what you sow. And I'm out! ;)

freddiefreeman5
06-11-2011, 03:25 PM
Congratulations to you and your family. Although like Harper, based on some of your comments and retorts on this thread, we wouldn't even imagine that you were an adult with children.
I am not saying Harper needs to live up to what I expect out of him, I'm just saying he has a job as a professional and he is not being professional. Even you can't deny that what he did was classless and UNPROFESSIONAL. That's all! He can smoke crack, beat his kids, kick dogs...I DON'T CARE! Just stating the fact that he is in A Ball and he is making a big deal about "how good he is" and A Ball results don't mean anything! And you defend him like it's ok to watch your home run for a few seconds and blow kisses at pitchers like you are God's gift to the world? Ridiculous!

And about him getting hit with a baseball, that is not what I was saying at all! I don't hope for it. LOL But I can't say that he didn't deserve it when it happens. You reap what you sow. And I'm out! ;)
We? Maybe that fact that I believe in giving an 18 year old a chance to grow up and mature should have been a clue that I have kids.
I knew right away that you didn't have children. That was easy to see.

brianborsch
06-11-2011, 03:28 PM
You read into things too much. I never said it was the end or anything. Just acknowledging the fact that what he did was COMPLETELY CLASSLESS. Does Bryce Harper have class right now: Yes or No? Its a capital NO! Pow right in the kisser.

frikativ54
06-11-2011, 03:35 PM
I never said I read that in the article. People I know that were at the game saide you could hear the pitcher from the stands.

I love how people expect Harper to be the next Jesus Christ when that is impossible.

Just because a person claims to believe in God does not make them perfect.

Why does religious belief even relevant in this situation? Harper either has class or he doesn't. His faith has nothing to do with what kind of a person he is. There are religious jerks and atheist jerks; creed is irrelevant.

frikativ54
06-11-2011, 03:40 PM
Why does religious belief even relevant in this situation? Harper either has class or he doesn't. His faith has nothing to do with what kind of a person he is. There are religious jerks and atheist jerks; creed is irrelevant.

That should say, "Why is religious belief even relevant in this situation?"

frikativ54
06-11-2011, 03:42 PM
They get whippings when they need them.

This is supposed to be a good thing?

freddiefreeman5
06-11-2011, 05:27 PM
Nothing wrong with a pop on the butt to get a childs attention.

You send yours to the corner or take away their xbox I suppose.

Or do you not have kids and just talking about something you know nothing about?

freddiefreeman5
06-11-2011, 05:30 PM
I'm really glad to see so many on here who are perfect and have no faults.
Bunch of spoiled children pointing and making fun of other children.

jppopma
06-11-2011, 11:29 PM
WOW! All of this fallout from a simple little kiss gesture????

I see now that it is the end to sports as we know it. In the future I bet there will be cocky players, some with attitudes, and God (or whoever Frik wants to substitute) forbid even taunting.....I better stop watching games now before if things get out of hand.

d2ray13
06-11-2011, 11:39 PM
Take it from a 19 year old ball player who's played against Bryce...

Kid's a stud, period.

He also hit a home run off of some dude that will be bagging groceries or shoveling horse shit next year in Podunk.

I played against him twice in East Cobb, Georgia, and he was over the top, Mr. Perfect. Shook everyone's hand, "Good Game, God Bless. Good Game, God Bless." (What else would a client of Mr. Boras' do? He wants this picture perfect, I'm a good little Christian boy image.) BS.

Now, I'm also a catcher, if that f*cker didn't get dosed the AB after that, I've lost hope for the game of baseball.

You're 18 Harp, you got a long ways to go, ride that high horse as long as you can kid, because you're in for a rude awakening.

d2ray13
06-11-2011, 11:40 PM
With that said, and without having read any of these posts, I immediately regret posting that.

We're talking baseball guys, not religious beliefs.

frikativ54
06-11-2011, 11:42 PM
Nothing wrong with a pop on the butt to get a childs attention.

You send yours to the corner or take away their xbox I suppose.

Or do you not have kids and just talking about something you know nothing about?

I don't have to have kids to have read that spanking leads to anxiety and violence in children. You should do a google search on the topic; there is a bunch of evidence that such treatment of children is hardly benign.

Plus, I'm in my mid-twenties. I'm not married, so therefore, I'm neither ready nor equipped to have children at this point.

But back to baseball, I'm not sure it's completely a matter of how you raise your kids. Some good, attentive parents have offspring who get into trouble with the law and with drugs and alcohol. They are left shaking their heads and wondering what they could have done differently. Look at Josh Hamilton's parents; they couldn't prevent his cascade into problem behaviors.

Bryce Harper has a lot of growing up to do. Though honestly, I wouldn't want someone to judge me for life for what I did when I was in my late teens and early twenties. So I do see what you're saying there.

-Frik

coxfan
06-16-2011, 04:08 PM
His older brother, Bryan Harper, is a spot reliever with the South Carolina Gamecocks. I assume he's on the plane to Omaha now. I think he pitched in the Super-Regional. Thus, he might play on ESPN in the College World Series.