PDA

View Full Version : You knew it was fake but.....

EurekaDave
06-06-2011, 12:35 PM
Have you done this? Have you bought something knowing it was fake? I bought an autographed Ronald Reagan baseball -- brand new baseball with perfect penmanship...and sold after his death. $75 on eBay.

Come on. What's your story? Confession is good for the soul.

Dave Silverbrand

kprst6
06-06-2011, 01:46 PM
Nope. If you have 1 fake item that you know if fake and try to pass it off as authentic, I would question every single item in your collection because you lost your integrity with trying to pass the fake item as being authentic. Who's to say you don't have other "Authentic" items in your collection.

EurekaDave
06-06-2011, 01:54 PM
Good points. To be clear, I would never, ever sell something to someone else unless I was sure of its authenticity.

freddiefreeman5
06-06-2011, 03:43 PM
Why would you pay $75 for a baseball that was worth $10?

freddiefreeman5
06-06-2011, 03:43 PM
Why would you pay $75 for a baseball that was worth $10?
And, it was only worth $10 at most if it was a OMLB.

kprst6
06-06-2011, 05:31 PM
My biggest issue is what happens if you were to die tomorrow and you have purchased numerous fake items that are mixed in with your real items.

When your estate and collection is sold to someone, they will unknowingly sell the items as being authentic when they aren't. 20 years from now when that baseball looks much older and is the autograph is fading, the buyer may unknowingly sell it as being authentic to someone else etc. This is how quality fake items make it into the collector industry by accident. This is also why I never trust a COA from any company and stopped collecting autographs.

Anyone can forge an autograph with enough practice and the autograph industry has made it so easy to get any players autograph it's almost commical. A solid photo-match wins over any COA IMO. I will never pay for an authenticated autograph unless it is on a photo-matched jersey, stick, bat, helmet and so on.

jppopma
06-06-2011, 10:31 PM
Dave, Are you saying you knew it was fake and still spent $75 on it? Or is it that you bought it on a chance for $75 and then discovered that it was indeed fake?

EurekaDave
06-06-2011, 11:00 PM
I guess I should clarify about the Reagan ball. I bought it as an act of wishful thinking. We've all done that. I don't know with certainty that it is fake or real. I just thought I would take a chance. That's it.

I didn't expect to ignite some big judgemental debate, but I guess I asked for it.

I just enjoy collecting and it makes me happy to touch, see, and think about the things I have, even if I am not 100% sure of their authenticity. I also learn much from the opinions of others, even the harshest critics.

So please don't make me regret that I brought it up.

jppopma
06-06-2011, 11:10 PM
Yes Dave, I have bought things in the past on the whim that they might be something and they turned out to be crap. I have also totally f**k up and read tittles and listings wrong or too fast and ended up with somethings that I had no desire at all to buy.....but live and learn.

freddiefreeman5
06-06-2011, 11:43 PM
Have you done this? Have you bought something knowing it was fake? I bought an autographed Ronald Reagan baseball -- brand new baseball with perfect penmanship...and sold after his death. $75 on eBay.

Come on. What's your story? Confession is good for the soul.

Dave Silverbrand
Sorry if I misunderstood you.
You have to admit that the highlighted sentence leaves very little room for interpretation though.
Take care.