PDA

View Full Version : What would you do? I met a players cousin and....

camarokids
06-06-2011, 10:24 AM
A few weeks ago we were invited to a BBQ by my wife's co-worker.

Turns out the co-workers sister is dating a cousin of a player who played on the World Champion Twins and with the Devil Rays Inaugural team. Their dads are brothers.

It was pretty cool, we were talking baseball, then I told him I collected game used stuff. Then he tells me his cousin used to play ball. I am thinking "Ok this guy was probably a minor leaguer". When I found out his cousin played on a world championship team and for the Devil Rays I was getting pretty excited. After I found out who his cousin is, I laughed and said " I have five or six bats of his and a 1998 Inaugural Season jersey of his, plus tons of his autographs". I also told him " I met your cousin tons of times".

Now my dilemma. I just received an email from him offering me two bats of his cousin's for $150.00 a piece. I have never paid more than $50.00 a piece for this players bat.

I do not want to offend him by giving him a lower offer. He is going to be seeing his cousin in August and asking about a fielding glove for me.

Should I offer him $100.00 a bat, and explain the prices of his bats? Then say $100.00 a piece is a generous offer?

solarlottry
06-06-2011, 10:44 AM
Quite a dilemma to be in!

How bad do you want the glove is the question. I would say that offering 100$ apiece is reasonable considering you have a # of his bats already plus proof that you have only paid 50$ each for them. I would not be insulted at all. Problem is if you pay the 150$ you might get overcharged on the glove as he may get the false impression his stuff is more valuable than it really is. By offering 100$ (which to me seems reasonable for a game used bat) you might get the glove at a reasonable price.

Please let us know how it all turns out!

Always buying 49ers gamers and offering up to a 500$ finders fee for the right shirt. I am also buying any 1994 game used 49er jersey and WILL PAY the 500$ finders fee for the right 1994 49ers gamer!

Paul

momen55
06-06-2011, 10:46 AM
tell him the truth. his stuff isn't worth that much. perhaps to him, being his cousin. ps

jake33
06-06-2011, 10:58 AM
I assume it is Paul Sorrento, $150 isn't great, but not awful, maybe ask for a player issued COA, which would make it more unique.

I don't like messing with prices with player's items if you are getting right from the player themself. But maybe instead of that cost for one, make on offer on the "lot." So instead of devauling the item, you are looking for a good price on a number of items....

camarokids
06-06-2011, 11:30 AM
I assume it is Paul Sorrento, $150 isn't great, but not awful, maybe ask for a player issued COA, which would make it more unique.

I don't like messing with prices with player's items if you are getting right from the player themself. But maybe instead of that cost for one, make on offer on the "lot." So instead of devauling the item, you are looking for a good price on a number of items....

You are a smart cookie Jake!

camarokids
06-06-2011, 11:35 AM
Quite a dilemma to be in!

How bad do you want the glove is the question. I would say that offering 100$ apiece is reasonable considering you have a # of his bats already plus proof that you have only paid 50$ each for them. I would not be insulted at all. Problem is if you pay the 150$ you might get overcharged on the glove as he may get the false impression his stuff is more valuable than it really is. By offering 100$ (which to me seems reasonable for a game used bat) you might get the glove at a reasonable price.

Please let us know how it all turns out!

Always buying 49ers gamers and offering up to a 500$ finders fee for the right shirt. I am also buying any 1994 game used 49er jersey and WILL PAY the 500$ finders fee for the right 1994 49ers gamer!

Paul

I would really like to have a Devil Rays glove of his, so I do not want to screw this up. So I want too tread lightly and not offend him on the true value of the players stuff. I am leaning towards $100.00 each.

camarokids
06-06-2011, 11:37 AM
tell him the truth. his stuff isn't worth that much. perhaps to him, being his cousin. ps

You are right Ivan. But I don't want to be blunt or insulting.

kprst6
06-06-2011, 11:45 AM
I would offer $100.00 a bat + a free Lunch meet and greet on you.

The experience of getting the item directly from the player and talking to them 1 on 1 would be worth the extra $100.00 (+ Lunch tab) than you would normally pay IMO.

Skizzick
06-06-2011, 12:12 PM
You aren't obligated to buy anything at any price. Tell him the truth on how much his stuff is worth

camarokids
06-07-2011, 10:03 AM
We agreed on a price of $250.00 and he is throwing in a Topps Baseball Card Contract signed by Paul.

Chances are the Cooper bat is from the World Series. It has red markings on the handle/pine tar from his batting gloves. He told me Paul told him it was from the red batting gloves he wore in the World Series.

solarlottry
06-07-2011, 10:38 AM
Well I think you made a great deal! 250$ is not that much cash, hell i would spend 250$ on a 49ers gamer anytime, plus you now have both parties happy and hopefully the glove coming your way. Also for a world series bat that price seems quite reasonable.

Good luck with the glove!

paul

Chris78
06-07-2011, 03:14 PM
$150 for a World Series bat is a great price for any player.....$150 for a regular bat for that player is not....

You came to an agreement so hope it works out for you.

Chris