PDA

View Full Version : Elway jersey on eBay look familiar?!?

BillyB@TheEndzone
12-05-2005, 12:13 PM
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that the "John Elway Game Used Denver Broncos Road Jersey at eBay (item #8732166668 - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8732166668&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBI%3AIT&rd=1) looks suspiciously like (read "identical to") the "John Elway 1985 Game Used Jersey" that just sold at Historic Auctions' Dec 1st auction (#31664 - http://www.historicauctions.com/index.cfm?&fuseaction=search.List&auctionid=31664).

Billy

Frank
12-05-2005, 10:02 PM
I EMailed them about it and got this response:

"I just got off the phone with Pro Sports Investments, who is the seller of the eBay auction. Apparently, they are selling a similar jersey to the one we sold in our auction but decided to use the pictures off of our auction site. I can assure you they are different jerseys. He actually said he will be pulling the photos off his auction and replacing them with photos of the jersey he is selling."

Looked really fishy at first, but I guess not. Funny thing was, he said a bunch of people EMailed him about this. Not sure if you did too, but good job everybody noticing it!

Eric
12-05-2005, 10:24 PM
I EMailed them about it and got this response:

"I just got off the phone with Pro Sports Investments, who is the seller of the eBay auction. Apparently, they are selling a similar jersey to the one we sold in our auction but decided to use the pictures off of our auction site. I can assure you they are different jerseys. He actually said he will be pulling the photos off his auction and replacing them with photos of the jersey he is selling."

Looked really fishy at first, but I guess not. Funny thing was, he said a bunch of people EMailed him about this. Not sure if you did too, but good job everybody noticing it!\

Hey everyone-
I received an email from someone who asked me to post the following info-
Pro Sports Investments is also selling a Joe Montana jersey http://cgi.ebay.com/JOE-MONTANA-GAME-USED-S-F-49ers-ROAD-JERSEY-PSI_W0QQitemZ8732167754QQcategoryZ86829QQssPageNam eZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
which has the pictures from the other auction

ChrisCavalier
12-07-2005, 02:46 PM
Apparently, they are selling a similar jersey to the one we sold in our auction but decided to use the pictures off of our auction site. I can assure you they are different jerseys. He actually said he will be pulling the photos off his auction and replacing them with photos of the jersey he is selling."

I just spoke with PSI this morning and the situation with the Montana jersey appears to be similar to the one with the Elway. This seems to make sense given the size of the Montana jersey on eBay was actually a different size than the one that was in Historic Auctions (there are pictures of the size tags for both jerseys in their respective listings).

Though PSI told me the jersey they are selling looks very similar to the one that was in Historic Auctions, they agreed that it would be a good idea to close the current auction and re-list it with pictures of the actual jersey. Thus, the auction on eBay has been closed.

Sincerely,
Christopher Cavalier

rbalm
12-07-2005, 06:37 PM
Just my two cents but I really dont think it is appropriate lifting pictures from other auctions to sell a jersey. It is a misrepresentation of the item being sold.
Adam

EndzoneSports
12-17-2005, 06:17 AM
The eBay auction was ended last week and the item has now been relisted (http://cm.ebay.com/cm/ck/1065-29393-2357-0?uid=509429&site=0&ver=BCA080805&lk=ItemDescriptionANDimage&Item=8739034829) albeit with different photos.

geoff
12-17-2005, 02:08 PM
HELLO are this persons jerseys psi real or fake.

EndzoneSports
01-29-2006, 10:56 PM
HELLO are this persons jerseys psi real or fake.

For the record, the eBay listing for this item ended without it selling. Subsequently, PSI sold the jersey to a private collector who remitted it to me last week to render an opinion, prior to finalizing the sale. Having examined this jersey first hand, I can say without hesitation that it had no glaring detractors that would have made me believe it was anything other than as advertised. A copy of our letter of opinion is attached.

In a seperate trasaction anther local collector purchased this jersey's "sister" piece from the Histroric Auctions' December offering and I may have the opportunity to examine it in March as well. If so, I would be happy to report on this as well if others would be interested.

Best regards,

otismalibu
01-30-2006, 04:13 PM
Just my two cents but I really dont think it is appropriate lifting pictures from other auctions to sell a jersey. It is a misrepresentation of the item being sold.

I think it's against eBay policy to use "borrowed" pics. I once stumbled upon an auction and saw that the seller was using a photo that I'd taken for a previous auction. After informing eBay, they ended the auction. It's been quite a few years, but I recall some sort of form that I had to fill out.

Greg

kingjammy24
01-30-2006, 05:10 PM
adam (et al),

calling it 'inappropriate' is a gross understatement. it borders on fraudulent. i've seen a few auctions etc which used other photos but they clearly stated "item pictured is to illustrate style only and does not represent actual item". if a person simply doesn't have a digital camera and they want to show roughly what the item looks like, i'm ok with posting a similar image as long as it had that disclaimer prominently displayed so that nobody was mislead.
without that disclaimer, it's fraud because you're showing an image of an item that you're selling with the clear implication that the item pictured is the item you are bidding on.
when it comes to jerseys, subtle details are what often help the buyer ascertain authenticity and price. how is a buyer supposed to ascertain these subtle details when the item they're bidding on isn't even the one in the pictures? imagine if you stumbled upon a jersey and via the photos you managed to photomatch it exactly to a historic game, so you bid a substantial amount. upon receiving the item, you discover the jersey is not the same one in the pictures.

the bigger question i would begin to wonder, aside from any about the jersey, is why would a seller use photos from someone else's auction
(and not issue a disclaimer)?

rudy.

EndzoneSports
01-30-2006, 07:25 PM
For the record, the eBay listing for this item ended without it selling. Subsequently, PSI sold the jersey to a private collector who remitted it to me last week to render an opinion, prior to finalizing the sale. Having examined this jersey first hand, I can say without hesitation that it had no glaring detractors that would have made me believe it was anything other than as advertised. A copy of our letter of opinion is attached.

In a separate transaction anther local collector purchased this jersey's "sister" piece from the Historic Auctions' December offering and I may have the opportunity to examine it in March as well. If so, I would be happy to report on this as well if others would be interested.

IMPORTANT!

Attention All-

Subsequent to the post above, another forum user contacted me this morning with some information which, upon further investigation and verification, may very well alter my opinion of the referenced jersey. I will do my best, within the limits of professionalism and respect for privacy of all the parties involved, to keep forum members apprised of the facts as they are brought to light.

Best regards,

silverschmidts
02-02-2006, 03:57 PM
I am the buyer of the Elway jersey from PSI. I've also recently purchased some other items from PSI, including a Rice 49ers gamer from an Ebay auction that closed a couple of days ago and a Montana gamer that PSI sold to me as an underbidder in a similar Ebay auction that ended last month. I submitted the Elway jersey to EndZoneSports because nobody knows Broncos jerseys better than Patrick Scoggins. Patrick thought the jersey looked OK and wrote a letter of opinion for me. However, now it has come to my attention that PSI has recently put at least two other nearly identical Elway road mid 1980s jerseys into the market, including the one that was sold in the Historic Auctions sale last fall. My question to everyone is: do any of you have experience in dealing with PSI (Bernie Gurnay) and can he be trusted with all of these Montana, Rice, and Elway jerseys he's been putting in the market? He claims he got them from Bronco Hinek, the former 49ers equipment manager. However, the sheer volume of product raises major suspicions in my view. For example, could he possibly have 3 genuine Elway 1985-86 road jerseys? (A 4th one was recently sold in the Broadway Rick's auction; I have no idea where that one came from). I tried to contact Bernie today with these concerns and haven't heard back from him yet. -If anyone has any thoughts on this, I'd be grateful. -Steve Silverman