PDA

View Full Version : If you post something in the classifieds... Be ready to sell!

commando
06-03-2011, 07:32 PM
I have recently emailed two different people in regards to their items they posted for sale in the classifieds section. I contacted each of them within one day of their original post going up, so I feel I contacted them in a reasonable amount of time.

Didn't receive a response from either person.

My question is this. Why even bother posting items for sale if you apparently don't wish to sell them? If you are planning on taking a few days off from the internet (yeah, right) or are going on vacation, why not wait to post the items until you get back? Do these family emergencies really happen this often to people who sell in the classifieds? (if so, I will NEVER post an item for sale there!)

I'm not upset, and could really care less to be honest. I wasn't desperate to obtain anything I saw listed, but was interested in a few items that I felt the asking prices were fair. My true collection consists of 20 USFL Houston Gamblers Jerseys and other Gamblers memorabilia (like Notre Dame legend Luther Bradley's jersey below). And if you think I acquired 20 rare jerseys by any means other than putting cold, hard cash in a seller's hand, you would be wrong.

Billy77
06-03-2011, 09:59 PM
There should be a new rule on this site!

No pm's or "back door" deals when an item is posted.

List item or items with prices...and PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!

No more..."email me for pix"!

First person to say..."Ill take it...within the thread", gets the item as per forum rules!!!

Too manu times you never know if item is still available or what is going on till you see item posted in..."New pickups for month of bla bla bla."

Just my .02...

Bill

Lokee
06-04-2011, 12:38 AM
In the end it is the sellers right to make a choice on who he sells his item too.

jobathenut
06-04-2011, 01:03 AM
Bravo,i could'nt agree with you more-:)
I have recently emailed two different people in regards to their items they posted for sale in the classifieds section. I contacted each of them within one day of their original post going up, so I feel I contacted them in a reasonable amount of time.

My question is this. Why even bother posting items for sale if you apparently don't wish to sell them? If you are planning on taking a few days off from the internet (yeah, right) or are going on vacation, why not wait to post the items until you get back? Do these family emergencies really happen this often to people who sell in the classifieds? (if so, I will NEVER post an item for sale there!)

I'm not upset, and could really care less to be honest. I wasn't desperate to obtain anything I saw listed, but was interested in a few items that I felt the asking prices were fair. My true collection consists of 20 USFL Houston Gamblers Jerseys and other Gamblers memorabilia (like Notre Dame legend Luther Bradley's jersey below). And if you think I acquired 20 rare jerseys by any means other than putting cold, hard cash in a seller's hand, you would be wrong.

helmets
06-04-2011, 08:00 AM
Same thing has happened to me - twice. It seems that the sellers recognize the user name and then wonder if they might be selling for too low of a price.

frikativ54
06-04-2011, 12:28 PM
Same thing has happened to me - twice. It seems that the sellers recognize the user name and then wonder if they might be selling for too low of a price.

Wow - that must be a horrible experience. I don't buy much from the Classifieds, probably only two items in the three years I've been here. But I've found people to be pretty fair and honest when I inquire about an item. People are usually straight up about things. We talk about a price, figure out where we both are, and if it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out.

I'm curious to read if a lot of people have had that same experience. Just sad if that's what's going on. Though, honesty, it wouldn't surprise me if some people posted items with an OBO option just to see how much people will pay, when they truly don't have the intention of selling.

I've also heard about people posting items that they don't have the intention of selling, for the purpose of taunting other collectors who want very rare items. I don't hear of this too often, but people have told me it does happen. I've also heard of people putting items on the classifieds that they don't have, all for the purpose of messing with people.

I guess it boils down to the fact that some people can be jerks. Too bad.

commando
06-04-2011, 12:41 PM
These are all excellent responses, and thanks for your input. Once again, this is not a "life or death" hobby for most of us but it still amazes me that someone would take the time to list one or several items for sale and not follow up on the responses.

To my knowledge, the items I inquired about STILL have not sold. I can understand if a person lists an item for sale and gets 20 emails... It would probably be easier to just go back to the thread and let everyone know by posting there that the item has been sold.

rufusandherschel
06-04-2011, 03:14 PM

The opposite situation is true as well. If a person/buyer offers to purchase an item (at an agreed price), the person/buyer should follow through with the purchase as well, and not 'jerk' the seller around and not make the purchase.