PDA

View Full Version : Smoak and Orr

coxfan
06-02-2011, 09:01 AM
I noticed a couple of things in the June pick-ups. So to highlight my comments, I'll comment in this separate thread rather than in the "pick-ups".

First, the Rangers, as of Christmas, still had at least one or two balls from Smoak's first-hit game in their "Grand Slam" stadium store. The price was steep at $100, especially given the reduced demand in Texas after his trade. So it might be worth tracking down their contact info, via texasrangers.com

Also, Pete Orr used number "4" for years, because of his admiration for hockey star Bobby Orr who was also #4".( I think they're related.) It's interesting to see he's now # 5.

frikativ54
06-02-2011, 09:29 AM
First, the Rangers, as of Christmas, still had at least one or two balls from Smoak's first-hit game in their "Grand Slam" stadium store. The price was steep at $100, especially given the reduced demand in Texas after his trade. So it might be worth tracking down their contact info, via texasrangers.com

Thanks for letting me know. $100 is more than I will pay for a ball used in Smoak's first hit game. I paid $95 for an actual RBI double baseball, so I can't imagine paying more for a ball that is not an actual milestone baseball. Yeah, if I had an endless supply of money. But I don't, and my Smoak collection is secondary to my primary collecting focus (see my signature). But I appreciate your informing me of this. :)

-Frik

coxfan
06-02-2011, 09:37 AM
No problem. However, the Rangers often reduce prices in the second year of a g-u item.

frikativ54
06-02-2011, 10:03 AM
No problem. However, the Rangers often reduce prices in the second year of a g-u item.

They still were at a hundred last I checked.

-Frik

vballGuy
06-02-2011, 11:36 AM
Also, Pete Orr used number "4" for years, because of his admiration for hockey star Bobby Orr who was also #4".( I think they're related.) It's interesting to see he's now # 5.

Its interesting that you mentioned this, because I thought the same thing when I saw the Phillies jersey posted in the thread. The reason is because Sardinha wears #4 for the Phillies and Pete Orr was a call-up to help fill the void of Chase Utley's injury.

Actually, my last name is Orr too, and I played against Pete in highschool baseball (I lived about 40 minutes away from where he went to highschool). I can definitely say that unfortunately, not him nor I are related to the great Bobby Orr. In all my highschool sports, I also work #4 in dedication of Bobby as well. Believe it or not, there are a lot of Orrs out there!

LastingsMilledge85
06-02-2011, 01:31 PM
vballGuy, Orr could of worn 4 because Sardinha was not on the active roster nor 40 man on Opening Day or weeks thereafter. Orr made the team out of spring and switched to 5 on Opening Day. I was surprised he wore that since he always wore 4 when it was open. He wore 24 in 2009 with Washington because Pat Listach switched to 4 after the signing of Strasburg.