PDA

View Full Version : New Era Reissuing World Series Hats

cliffjmp33
06-01-2011, 12:47 PM
I just thought this was interesting - and hope it doesn't lead to people potentially making forgeries - as New Era has reissued World Series hats from previous years, dating back to the 1950s (obviously those wouldn't be faked).

It seems most of the MLB.com shops have their respective teams. Just wanted to pass that along.

http://shop.mlb.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=1164740&cp=1452360.1452526&view=all

sox83cubs84
06-01-2011, 05:09 PM
I would think that, if the caps were issued in 2011, the headband tags would also be of the 2011 variety. The New Era tag primer on the "Educational" thread shows what would really belong there. There will be attempts to forge these, I'm sure...but anyone who peruses GUU or works with a quality third party authenticator will be able to wade through the chaff. It's unfortunate, though, for those not in the above categories as collectors.

Dave Miedema

2000mvpfan
06-01-2011, 09:48 PM
New Era did this once before,I'd say about 5-6 years ago..I still have the '80 Phillies one.Dave's correct,the inner headband and tagging will match the current New Era tagging as they did last time they issued these caps.I am surprised they're releasing them in wool again instead of the cool-base poly blend,though.

Take care,
Joe

sox83cubs84
06-01-2011, 11:00 PM
Also, keep in mind that until the mid/late 1990s (I'd have to research the exact year), New Era (nor any other older supplier) added World Series logos to the left side of the cap. Anything from earlier than the above stated time frame would be suspect if the logo existed.

Dave Miedema

cliffjmp33
06-02-2011, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the insight guys, much appreciated and didn't truly think all those points through.

I was more excited for the fact I can get a couple of older caps that were "defunct", but in the back of my mind was the worry some sleaze would fake these, so figured I'd post it.