PDA

View Full Version : Koosman 1969 World Series HOF Jersey Inquiry

ironmanfan
05-30-2011, 09:37 AM
On Saturday, I spent the day in Cooperstown to see the Grand Opening of their new "One for the Books Exhibit" (which I recommend you see if you can).

After the whole Barry Halper controversy with several items from his collection displayed at the HOF were found not to be as advertised, I now kind of look at the items on display a little differently.

Anyways, in their World Series section they have on display a Mets flannel home jersey of Jerry Koosman, noting that it was worn in the 1969 World Series (donated by the club).

Being a Baltimore Orioles fan, I try not to think about the 1969 WS often, but I recall reading somewhere (probably on GUF) that the Mets did not wear the MLB 100th Anniversary patch in 1969 until the World Series that fall (I'm sure someone here can confirm this).

The jersey on display did have the Mets patch logo patch on the left sleeve, however the right sleeve was devoid of any patch (I did look closely to see if any stitching of a removed patch was visible, but I could not see any). On the tail of the jersey, I also could not read the year flag tag, as it was totally folded inward.

I'm just curious as to other people's input on this (I know there are several Mets collectors here). The only game Koosman pitched at home was Game 5 (clincher) & photographic evidence does show the Anniversary patch on the right sleeve. Or could this have been a 1969 regular season top of Koosman that the Mets donated & just said it was used in the series?

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/whhp72/1kooz3.jpghttp://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/whhp72/1kooz2.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/whhp72/1kooz1.jpghttp://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/whhp72/1kooz.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/whhp72/1kooz5.jpg

metsbats
05-30-2011, 11:01 AM
The Mets wore the 100th Anniversary patch on the left sleeve during the regular season jerseys which replaced the Mets skyline patch. This included the playoffs in 69.

For the World series they moved the Skyline patch back to the left sleeve and the 100th Anniversary patch was place on the right sleeve on home jerseys. On road jerseys for the WS the 100th anniversary patch remained on the left sleeve.

Yes that Koosman is missing the 100th anniversary patch on the right sleeve if it was a 69 WS gamer (too bad the set tag was folded as it would have told you for sure).

If it is indeed a 69 gamer and used in the WS, perhaps the 100th anniversary tag was removed and was going to be sent down to the minor leagues in 1970 and the team donated it as is to the HOF after the 69 season or perhaps much later.

Back in those days I don't believe the HOF was on top of items after a series or game so quickly as they are today.

Given it is a pinstripe jersey it can possibly be easily photomtached to the Game 5 69 clincher given the time and effort.

metsbats
05-30-2011, 11:24 AM
Judging from these Game 5 (pre-game & post game) photos that HOF jersey is not the same one in that game.

metsbats
05-30-2011, 11:28 AM
The other game that Koosman started was Game 2 in Baltimore.

I don't see how this jersey ever saw World series game play at all.

Dewey2007
05-30-2011, 11:31 AM
Thanks for sharing those pics. That's a sweet Curtell Motton Adirondack bat in the 1969 WS dispaly. Glad to see Curt made it to the HOF somehow!

metsbats
05-30-2011, 11:36 AM
Differences highlighted.

ironmanfan
05-30-2011, 11:46 AM
Thanks for sharing those pics. That's a sweet Curtell Motton Adirondack bat in the 1969 WS dispaly. Glad to see Curt made it to the HOF somehow!

Ha! I actually thought of you when I saw that. For those who are interested, that was the bat that Dave McNally used to hit a Grand Slam in the 1970 Fall Classic.

metsbats
05-31-2011, 08:46 PM
I've sent the photos which show the mismatches between the HOF Koosman and the 69 WS photos to the NY Mets and was told they will contact Cooperstown to get more info on the jersey on display.

ironmanfan
06-01-2011, 06:25 AM
I've sent the photos which show the mismatches between the HOF Koosman and the 69 WS photos to the NY Mets and was told they will contact Cooperstown to get more info on the jersey on display.

David:

Thats great.....Keep us updated.....

metsbats
06-08-2011, 08:53 PM
I sent this thread link to the HOF and John Odell from the Hall contacted me and agrees that the photos prove that the 69 Koosman WS jersey in the exhibit could not possibly be the one worn in Game 5.

The HOF has pulled the jersey from the exhibit to do further research on it.

Attached are photos of the tagging provided by Mr. Odell. The flag tag properly dates the jersey to 69 and is set 1. I compared the Koosman tag to another exemplar Seth Swirsky's 69 Tom Seaver World Series jersey and the tagging is identical.

The only thing we've not seen on the Koosman jersey is the strip tag in the collar which should read 44 69 36. I've asked Mr. Odell to check the collar on the Koosman.

I'll post an update once I get more info back from the Hall.

ironmanfan
06-08-2011, 09:13 PM
Thanks David.........My guess is that this is a regular season top of Koosman from 1969....

Kudos to the HOF staff for looking into this (and taking action) as well.....