PDA

View Full Version : primer on Wilson tagging - 60s to 90s

kingjammy24
09-01-2006, 03:16 PM
for some reason, it seems my Wilson tagging primer has disappeared.
for those who've asked, here it is again. it only applies to MLB game jerseys tagged in the tail.

http://img335.imageshack.us/img335/8512/wilsonf2ct4.jpg

rudy.

34swtns
09-01-2006, 03:51 PM
Thanks Rudy. Your primer has been invaluable to me at times. Just in case anybody was wondering, here's the original link:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=1592&highlight=wilson+primer

2dales1number3
09-03-2006, 09:45 PM
So is this tagging only on game jerseys or are they the same tags on a store model? Whats the odds of a store model being made for semistars from the 80s? Is there any way to tell which players had store models made of them? Sorry if this has come up before but I am new. I am trying to figure out the odds of my favorite players jerseys being fake. They are Dale Murphy, Jim Rice, Carlton Fisk, Bob Horner, George Foster, Al OLiver, etc.

kingjammy24
09-05-2006, 02:52 PM
this primer only applies to MLB game jerseys tagged in the body, (not bp jerseys, not minor league jerseys, not retail jerseys, nor jerseys tagged in the collar). the reason it doesn't apply to those jerseys is simply because i never considered or looked at them when i made the primer. it might be accurate for those jerseys but i have no way of knowing. if i had to guess, i'd say there should be some correlation between the tagging on wilson pro jerseys and wilson retail jerseys. (both earlier rawlings and russell pro tags bore a correlation with their retail tags. the main difference between the two is simply in the way they were sewn and, sometimes, the location).

i'm unsure of what wilson was doing in terms of star player, retail jerseys in the 80s. however, i think the odds of finding wilson, store model, star player jerseys from the 80s aren't great.

in terms of the specific players you mentioned as your favorites; here's a short breakdown:
fisk played for the whitesox during the 80s. during this time period they were supplied by sandknit and rawlings.
jim rice played for the redsox during the 80s. during this time period they were supplied by wilson.
horner and murphy played for the braves in 80s and during that time they were supplied by wilson.

the odds of those players being faked is more likely to come from a doctored pro jersey than a retail jersey. retail jerseys aren't overly difficult to differentiate from pro gamers. they'll often be of a different material, have different buttons, lack any sort of team/player tagging and customizations, etc. if someone's going to fake an early fisk, rice, or murphy they'll most likely do it using a pro jersey.

rudy.

stkmtimo
09-05-2006, 03:18 PM
Hi Rudy,
I have a Bob Tewksbury game worn Yankees home jersey from 1987 made by Wilson. The tagging for the jersey is just like the tagging shown in your picture (size on the bottom, registered sign right next to the "N" in Wilson). I see that on eBay Grey Flannel is offering a Willie Randolph game worn Yankees jersey from 1987 as well:
http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/245-1987-Randolph-Yankees-Game-Used-Signed-Jersey_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ28270QQhashZitem 130021898367QQihZ003QQitemZ130021898367QQrdZ1QQssp agenameZWDVW

On this jersey the tagging features the size of the jersey on the bottom of the Wilson tag. Was this common with Wilson jerseys then?

Thanks,
Tim

kingjammy24
09-05-2006, 04:01 PM
tim,

to be honest that's the first time i've ever seen that style of wilson tag with the size on the bottom instead of on the right side. maybe it's possible to interpret my personal experience as evidence that the tag being on the bottom was not common.

is your tewksbury size tag on the bottom or on the right?

rudy.

stkmtimo
09-05-2006, 04:42 PM
tim,

to be honest that's the first time i've ever seen that style of wilson tag with the size on the bottom instead of on the right side. maybe it's possible to interpret my personal experience as evidence that the tag being on the bottom was not common.

is your tewksbury size tag on the bottom or on the right?

rudy.

Rudy,
The Tewksbury size tag for me is on the right, just like the photos you provided. I wonder why the Randolph is that way in GFC auction? That's the first 1987 Wilson jersey with a size tag on the bottom I've ever seen, too.

Tim

Samets
03-20-2013, 09:04 AM
I know Rudy wrote that this is only for MLB jerseys but is it pretty consistent for NFL jerseys as well? Is there an NFL Wilson primer out there?

sox83cubs84
03-20-2013, 02:01 PM
Most (not all) I've seen on Wilson NFL jerseys is in line with the same era's MLB gamers. The one exception is the Prestige Tag that first saw use in MLB uniforms in 1986. I haven't seen that tag on any NFL gamers prior to 1990-91. A small paper tag slightly similar to the ones used in 1987-91 Blue Jays jersey was the norm for the late 1980s in the NFL.

Dave Miedema

Samets
03-20-2013, 03:30 PM
OK. Thanks!

BrianK
03-21-2013, 07:21 PM
Anyone encountered this tag (on an NFL jersey or otherwise)? I believe it's circa 1988.

solarlottry
04-28-2013, 09:52 PM
BrianK

I have never seen that particular type of Wilson tag until one popped up on eBay and another in a recent MEARS Auction. There as another thread somewhere that may have addressed that specific tag but I cannot recall what the outcome was.

The issue with this tag is that the 49ers wore Russell through the 1989 season and switched to Wilson in 1990. One possibility would be that the team wanted to evaluate the Wilson jersey during the 1989 season and thus had a handful of the shirts for use. If you scroll back in this thread though, the 1988-89 Wilson tagging is not consistent with the image you provided.

I have seen a number of Russell 49er gamers that were worn during the late 80s that were used in the early 90s. This was common with DL and OL gamers as the players did not want to give up their Russell shirts. I have several examples of Russell 49er gamers with the NFL shield sewn on, which would indicate a 1988 or 1989 jersey being used in 1991.

As for theparticular Wilson tag you posted, if anyone else can chime in that would be great.

Always buying 49er game worn jerseys and paying a finders fee.
Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com

commando
04-28-2013, 10:03 PM
This style of tag must be pretty scarce.... I also noticed the incorrect punctuation in the phrase: Brand of the Pro's

both-teams-played-hard
04-29-2013, 01:17 AM
This style of tag must be pretty scarce.... I also noticed the incorrect punctuation in the phrase: Brand of the Pro's
Anthony,

Like you, I also thought this use of an apostrophe was incorrect. However, when "Pro" is used as an abbreviation for "Professional", a use of an apostrophe to show the plural version of "Pro's" is correct. Believe me, the butchering of the apostrophe by our fellow forum members has inspired hours of research.:)

commando
04-29-2013, 02:28 AM
Anthony,

Like you, I also thought this use of an apostrophe was incorrect. However, when "Pro" is used as an abbreviation for "Professional", a use of an apostrophe to show the plural version of "Pro's" is correct. Believe me, the butchering of the apostrophe by our fellow forum members has inspired hours of research.:)

Gotcha. I was on the fence whether or not this may be correct... Thanks for the facts!

danesei@yahoo.com
05-22-2014, 04:06 PM
Gotcha. I was on the fence whether or not this may be correct... Thanks for the facts!

I believe the logic behind the ' usage is that it's replacing the "fessional" part of the word in abbreviation. It's similar to the usage of gov't for government.

Back to the thread itself, though, given the educational value of this thread was primarily from the tagging shown in the first post (images of which are no longer in the post), could someone please attempt to reconstruct the tagging primer?

DonFan23
01-19-2015, 09:39 AM
I don't recall seeing a post on this before, but note that the tagging example on this '78 Yankees jersey.

It appears to have the 74-77 Wilson logo font & trademark location, while exhibiting the 78-85 washing instructions and the number serifs from the same period.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l217/donfan23/yankees78wilson.jpg (http://s97.photobucket.com/user/donfan23/media/yankees78wilson.jpg.html)
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l217/donfan23/wilsonprimerexcerpt.jpg (http://s97.photobucket.com/user/donfan23/media/wilsonprimerexcerpt.jpg.html)

sportsnbikes
02-17-2015, 07:15 PM
Does there happen to be a primer with an example of a Wilson tag that is on the neck?

sox83cubs84
12-27-2017, 09:41 PM
Also, while only minimally involving tagging, 4 MLB teams in 2000 that were Majestic teams actually had the actual uniforms made by Wilson under a sub-contracting deal. The strip tagging in the collars and tails of the 4 teams (Cubs, White Sox, Brewers and Blue Jays) used Wilson's embroidery font for the numbers and names, not what Majestic used beginning in 2001. The Majestic logo on the sleeve for these 4 teams was a tiny, sewn-on patch rather than a logo stitched directly into the sleeve. Finally, the interior tag, being that they were actually made at Wilson's factory, did not carry the 0062 code like the three other teams Majestic was assigned that were made at Majestic's factory (Phillies, Orioles and Astros).

Dave Miedema

lnfogel@aol.com
02-08-2018, 09:04 AM
Can someone post the original primer again as seems to not be available anymore in this thread
Thanks

sox83cubs84
02-08-2018, 11:57 AM
Basically, collar Wilson tags are the same as tail tags pre-1987. In '87, nearly all gamers made by Wilson had the newly created. large-sized tag with the "Prestige Teams" notation affixed to the tail. However, the Blue Jays, of the 5 teams that ordered at least 1 style from Wilson used the small, paper tag also used in some late 1980s NFL gamers (Bears). The other 4 teams (Braves, Yankees, home Tigers and home Red Sox) all had the Prestige Teams tag in the tail. The Jays used this same collar tag on Wilson gamers well into the 1990s.

Dave M.

sox83cubs84
04-06-2018, 07:40 PM
http://sports.mearsonlineauctions.com/ItemImages/000103/103819d_lg.jpeg

sox83cubs84
04-06-2018, 07:42 PM
The Wilson tag I just posted is a design used in 1998 and 1999 gamers that utilized tail tagging, basically limited to Braves home gamers and all 3 White Sox styles (the Chisox ordered unis from both Wilson and Russell those 2 seasons).

Dave Miedema