PDA

View Full Version : Pujols Memorabilia

philsfan
05-27-2011, 12:24 PM
Query: What happens to the price of Pujols memorabilia if he completely flames out for the rest of his career? Seems hard to imagine, but what if he ends this year batting .260 with 29 HRs? What if his numbers stay about the same for the rest of his career? Rightfully so, his "authenticated" memorabilia currently sells at an extraordinary premium. Only a handfull of current players game used stuff sells at these prices.

What would be the likley impact on his collectibles if there is a significant drop off for a guy who has already put up extraordinarly consistent numbers over the last decade, has several MVPs and a World Series ring? Are there any past players who we can look at as examples?

I'm a Phillies collector, so I don't have much of a personal stake in Pujols items. I only have a ball and photo signed by Pujols, but I know many GUU's members have shelled out big bucks to collect items from the "games best player". I'm not taking sides either way, but thought I would ask the question. Thanks.

freddiefreeman5
05-27-2011, 12:42 PM
I don't think it will affect the prices too much. People have paid high prices for his items and that alone will help keep the prices high.
And in my eyes if he averages .260 and 29 hr's the rest of his career then he will still retire with incredible numbers overall. He will be remembered in books and memories for being the best player for over a decade.
Not a bad career to have in my opinion.

CampWest
05-27-2011, 12:57 PM
I don't think it will affect the prices too much. People have paid high prices for his items and that alone will help keep the prices high.
And in my eyes if he averages .260 and 29 hr's the rest of his career then he will still retire with incredible numbers overall. He will be remembered in books and memories for being the best player for over a decade.
Not a bad career to have in my opinion.

Yeah assuming 5 more seasons minimum, He'd be at what a .300+ career avg, 550-600 Doubles and HR, 2500+ hits, 1800+ RBI ... with a dozen All-Star games, ROY, 3+ MVP... etc

I'd say no matter what he does here on out, lock first ballot HOFer, Fan Favorite, and one of the greatest players in baseball lore. His bats may come down a bit from 3.5k, but still easily in the 2.5k range.

GoTigers
05-27-2011, 08:37 PM
I've been wondering what will happen if he signes with another team after this year. For example you can pick up Arod bats from Seattle or Texas for a lot less. Will pujols cardinals stuff take a hit if he signes with the yanks or some other major market team?

Rboitano
05-27-2011, 11:20 PM
I don't think they can get any higher. I think it depends if he starts to mass produce his bats like he did last year. Jt has an 07 that doesn't look good at all for a mere $2900. That same bat sold for $800 in 2008 on ebay.

David
05-29-2011, 02:05 PM
Prices would go down.

I don't buy the 'people paid high prices so prices won't go down theory.' Prices going down on anything always means people paid higher prices earlier. And later buyers won't care what you paid for something 10 years earlier. Sellers can't will collectors to pay 1998 prices for Mark McGwire memorabilia.

David
05-29-2011, 02:09 PM
P.s. Pujols prices will go down some day. It's inevitable. If Michael Jordan and Joe Montana prices have gone down, so will Pujols. That's the way it works.

momen55
05-29-2011, 03:35 PM
as long as people keep paying hi prices, they will stay hi. personally, i don't see that much value in modern stuff.

i don't see how people watch a rookie come up in the minors, get called up to the bigs, has a good season, now all of a sudden, his game used stuff is worth thousands.

as much as there is of albert stuff out there, i see no reason for the high prices, regardless of how good he is. too much emphasis on modern stuff these days. mo.

freddiefreeman5
05-29-2011, 04:11 PM
Prices would go down.

I don't buy the 'people paid high prices so prices won't go down theory.' Prices going down on anything always means people paid higher prices earlier. And later buyers won't care what you paid for something 10 years earlier. Sellers can't will collectors to pay 1998 prices for Mark McGwire memorabilia.
I don't agree with that theory either.
I said "People have paid high prices for his items and that alone will help keep the prices high."

I would think that few of the higher end collectors are going to be selling his items at half what they paid for them. Jordon items are lower than when he played but are still very high.

sox83cubs84
05-29-2011, 04:14 PM
The quickest way to have Pujols game-used prices drop based on failing performance?

Have him sign with the Cubs for 2012!:p

Dave Miedema