PDA

View Full Version : 73 rose jersey

yankees159
05-26-2011, 07:51 PM
Hopefully a reds expert can help me out? Ami has a 73 rose jersey. All of the 73 reds jerseys I have seen has the rawlings and flag tag on the inside lower tail. This jersey has the tagging on the outside lower front. Should I be concerned?
Thanks
TW

SSB15
05-28-2011, 10:16 AM
I have never seen a 73 jersey with the tagging on the outside. I have a 73 Reds from another player and the tagging is on the inside. In addition, the Hall of Fame has a Rose 73 home on dislay and the tagging is on the inside.

sox83cubs84
05-28-2011, 06:55 PM
That outisde tail tag does appear to be a problem...right tags, but wrong location. This goes against Dave Grob's research published in his Reds uniform publications. I had no 1973s in my files, but I did have a 1972 (common player), and it, too, is on the inside. Also of concern, which GUU member Todd Westover researched and confirmed after my bringing it up, is that, while Rose took a size 44 in Wilson road jerseys of the era, he took a size 42 in Rawlings back then.

Overall, too many possible flaws to go hogwild on.

Dave Miedema

diamondicons
05-28-2011, 07:22 PM
I passed on this jersey about 2 years ago.

Tag on outside vs inside is not typical. I would have expected to see the tag attached on the inside right front of the jersey. In discussions with other Reds collectors, some do not see this as a discriminator and should not serve as the sole purpose for dismissing the jersey as a legitimate gamer.

I've been trying to get photos of the tagging of the jersey in the HOF. HOF indicates the jersey was worn in 1973. Tag is on the left rear of jersey. 1972 tagging was in the rear tail. My position is that it is a jersey from 1972 that was also used during the 1973 season.

As for the jersey in question...One issue is the stitch pattern on the label. The stitches on the right hand side (same side as the flag tag) are longer stitches than the rest of the tag. They should be consistent and they are not. 10 stitches on right hand of tag and 13 on left hand side of tag. There are also 2 stitch ending points around the tag when you would expect to see just a single end point. To me this appears to be evidence that someone added the flag tag at a later date. The stitching also appears relatively sloppy on the photo that depicts a view from inside the shirt.

Also, the C crest. Unless it is just how it is pictured, it appears that the right hand side is not as rounded as you would expect to see.

Rose wore size 42 in 1972. In 1973 he starting wearing size 44.