PDA

View Full Version : eBay-A cautionary tale

EurekaDave
05-25-2011, 12:00 PM
Be clear about those shipping charges -- especially international ones!!!
I just sold some bats on eBay. Within an hour, a canadien buyer was demanding that I ship them for free. He threatened legal action.
We've settled it--but do yourself a favor---
specify in your product description that overseas shipping is ACTUAL COST and nothing less.
Word to the wise...
Dave Silverbrand

sammy
05-25-2011, 12:33 PM
It is just too much of a hassel to ship anything out of the USA. Plus it is hard to track or insure, and if you have neither of these, you are out of luck if a complaint is filed, real or false. I strickly sell and ship in the USA only.

http://www.amazon.com/b?%5Fencoding=UTF8&site-redirect=&node=256994011&tag=colmor-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325

otismalibu
05-25-2011, 12:43 PM
I agree with Sammy Broken Signature Image.

I only ship to within the US. And when I do (I don't sell very often), I either print my own postage through Paypal w/o showing the amount paid or I purposely undercharge a couple of dollars on shipping.

If you list an item with $12 shipping and actual postage turns out to be $11, some tool will ding you with a neutral or negative.

And...
- always use DC
- seller is responsible for buying insurance

David
05-25-2011, 01:04 PM
I ship internationally, but that's usually with stuff like photos. I agree it can be a pain in the rear (and expensive!) to ship a bat internationally.

For the record, I have had few to no troubles with international buyers (again mostly photos and the like), from Germany, France, England, etc. If you look at their eBay feedback you can see if they're established buyers of that type of material. If they have a rating of 600 and buy lots of photos, you know they're sincere buyers.

But, in general, I wouldn't savor shipping a baseball bat to Cananada.

David
05-25-2011, 01:08 PM
One way to get back at a bad Canadian buyer is to make sure they're charged customs. Many Canadians ask do anything to avoid paying the custom charge, for example asking the buyer to state the value is $0.

CollectGU
05-25-2011, 01:52 PM
I agree with Sammy Broken Signature Image.

classic....enjoyed that

Lokee
05-25-2011, 04:32 PM
The new fee structure starts soon if it already hasn't. Ebay will take the final value fee INCLUDING shipping so it doesn't even make it worth while to ship international.

Klattsy
05-25-2011, 08:46 PM
For what it's worth I am an international (Australia) buyer. Luckily we don't have any custom charges down here. It generally costs a bat to be shipped to me $38 postage sticker in one of those triangle USPS boxes. I have never lost an item in the mail, although I am waiting on a book to come from AbeBooks which is 2 weeks behind the rest...

Tracking is very expensive, but a signature for us to send out international is only an extra $3-$4 bucks. In fact I think insurance + signature would be cheaper than posting with tracking.

Lokee- I cannot believe that they would take into account shipping. I guess this will stop all those dodgy sellers selling electronics and the like for .99c + $50 shipping...You would think buyers should just be smart enough to steer clear of them, or report them if they think the shipping is to high.

It makes me sad that so many people aren't prepared to ship international, purely from a personal point of view, it limits my collecting big time. Having said that, I understand the risks involved to the seller.

Mark.

TNTtoys
05-26-2011, 01:01 AM
For what it's worth I am an international (Australia) buyer. Luckily we don't have any custom charges down here.

Mark,

Not really the case. As you already know, I lived in Australia for a few years. In that time, I had a lot of packages sent to me from the states. One time (and one time only), one of my packages was held by Australia customs, and they demanded a hefty fee in order for it to be released to me. I believe that the sender declared that it was worth a fair bit... and I paid for it... This does not happen often based on my experience, but it does happen.

Nick

trsent
05-26-2011, 05:59 AM
The new fee structure starts soon if it already hasn't. Ebay will take the final value fee INCLUDING shipping so it doesn't even make it worth while to ship international.

You are wrong on this comment, as eBay will not charge Final Value Fees on international shipping charges only on shipping to the USA for sellers from the states.

Klattsy
05-26-2011, 10:25 PM
One time (and one time only), one of my packages was held by Australia customs, and they demanded a hefty fee in order for it to be released to me.

Hey Nick. I have had customs hold things but never experienced this charge, it may be, as you said, because it was a pricey item. I can't afford anything expensive so I'm OK there :)

trsent - thats good to hear, hopefully ebay makes that clear in the new structure.

cjw
05-27-2011, 01:02 AM
Folks..pls go easy on the Canadians. It's no picnic shipping from Canada to US sellers either. Same tracking issues apply and on top of that our postage rates up here in the North are far more expensive than in the US. No cheap, flat book or media rates for example.

I have given up on shipping beyond Canada and the US for some of the reasons others have stated and while there are risks and hassles inherent in shipping to the US, the market is just too big to ignore.

Saying this, I have interacted with far more honest buyers in the US than dishonest.

EurekaDave
05-27-2011, 03:27 PM
I just saw this from an eBay seller. Thought you wold be interested.

Ebay and Paypal require that Sellers provided tracking information and insurance on all items sold. The only way to get tracking information on items shipped outside of the United States is by shipping an item by Priority Mail. This is expensive. And, because of all the fraudulent activity of dishonest Sellers and claims by dishonest bidders that items are not being received - when in fact the item has been delivered, we can understand why Paypal and Ebay would require tracking information. This decision by Ebay and Paypal was instituted to protect everyone - both the Buyer and the Seller. The only problem is that the policy that requires Sellers to provide tracking information in the event of a claim - it has drastically increased the cost of shipping items to Buyers who live outside of the United States.

Dave Silverbrand

both-teams-played-hard
05-27-2011, 03:58 PM
I just saw this from an eBay seller. Thought you wold be interested.

Ebay and Paypal require that Sellers provided tracking information and insurance on all items sold. The only way to get tracking information on items shipped outside of the United States is by shipping an item by Priority Mail. This is expensive. And, because of all the fraudulent activity of dishonest Sellers and claims by dishonest bidders that items are not being received - when in fact the item has been delivered, we can understand why Paypal and Ebay would require tracking information. This decision by Ebay and Paypal was instituted to protect everyone - both the Buyer and the Seller. The only problem is that the policy that requires Sellers to provide tracking information in the event of a claim - it has drastically increased the cost of shipping items to Buyers who live outside of the United States.

Dave Silverbrand

You cannot get a tracking number with International Priority Mail. PayPal requires proof of delivery if a claim is filed against you. US Express mail, US Registered Mail, FedEX or UPS are the only ways to ship an international parcel and prove that it was delivered to the final destination.

Scotchorama
05-27-2011, 04:58 PM
As a European buyer who purchases from ebay and from the Collector to Collector classifieds, I have never had a major issue with international shipping, only a few issues with custom fees. I have always found US sellers to be understanding and easy to work with. :)