PDA

View Full Version : Leather treatment on a game used glove?

jake33
05-22-2011, 02:17 PM
Just curious of peoples thoughts of this.

I ahve a game used glove fielding glove and I notice after having it on display for 2 years that the glove has dried out a bit and lost some of it's shine. Just curious of people's thoughts on if giving a light leather treatment on the glove would be good or bad.

I wouldnt put the treatment on heavy at all but slightly so the glove was not completely dried out either. Curious on peoples thoughts on this. I know there are some that would certainly not think anything should happen to it after it is not in use any longer, but would like to hear opinions. I probably will not treat it at all, but would that be a no-no?

CampWest
05-22-2011, 04:37 PM
I'd say a light coat to preserve the glove is standard practice for vintage glove collectors. BUT do not use oil based products. Most vintage collectors I believe use Hydrous Lanolin, Lexol, or Petroleum Jelly (Vaseline). The PJ is believed by some to close pores which is bad, but Nokona recommends PJ for their gloves and they have some great experience with some of the best leather in the world. I think Lexol has Lanolin and Neatsfoot Oil, so I'd probably stay away from that to make sure I don't alter the color of the leather.

Do a search on vintagebaseballgloveforum.com or look in here for some more experienced opinions... http://www.vintagebaseballgloveforum.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=9

CampWest
05-22-2011, 04:43 PM
Also, if you do treat with Lanolin/petroleum jelly or the like, it will clean the leather as well as conditioning it. So if your glove has dirt that you like as a photomatching/proof of use, then potentially that could be wiped away.

frikativ54
05-22-2011, 05:22 PM
If it were me, I'd want the glove exactly as it came off the field. But I'm not heavy into vintage gloves or anything.

CampWest
05-22-2011, 07:33 PM
If it were me, I'd want the glove exactly as it came off the field. But I'm not heavy into vintage gloves or anything.

Totally agree... problem is leather breaks down over time, if steps are not taken to keep it healthy, it will dry out. Once it dries out, it will crack and split. If it cracks it can never be repaired. I think a very minimal treatment once every few years is necessary to keep it in "just off the field" condition - depending on how and where it is stored. Also, most players use lanolin to treat their gloves so potentially that would be consistent with how the glove would be treated if the player were still in possession of it.

I'd love to know what the HOF or other museum's do for preservation of leather.

here's one search result...

http://www.garciaaviation.com/conserve.html

The most common forms of deterioration in leather are due to prolonged dryness, mold, mildew and fungus, U/V light, insects and vermin

jake33
05-23-2011, 08:22 AM
Great info thanks!

I too want it as it came off the field, but it won't last on how it came off the field is the issue.