PDA

View Full Version : Randy "Macho Man" Savage Passes Away

intheminors
05-20-2011, 11:48 AM
Wow, for some of us wrestling fans, this is very shocking!

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2011/0520/539772/randy-savage/

The following is from TMZ.com: Macho Man Randy Savage -- one of the most famous wrestlers of all-time -- died today in a car accident in Tampa, Florida ... TMZ has learned.
TMZ spoke with Randy's brother, Lanny Poffo, who tells us the wrestling legend suffered a heart attack while he was behind the wheel around 10 AM ... and lost control of his vehicle.
Earlier this month, Savage celebrated his 1-year anniversary with his new wife Lynn.
Savage was 58.
Macho Man began wrestling in the WWF in 1985 and became a superstar with his trademark catchphrase "Ooooooh Yeaahhhhh."
More shortly.

otismalibu
05-20-2011, 12:02 PM
I didn't realize that Leaping Lanny Poffo was his brother.

Hey, he almost made it to 60. That's almost unheard of when you're talking about former professional wrestlers.

Dewey2007
05-20-2011, 12:53 PM
Wow, that's sad to hear. Macho Man was also in the Cubs organization in the early 70's. Here's his minor league stats:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=poffo-001ran

He definitely made the right choice to go into wrestling!

Dewey2007
05-20-2011, 12:56 PM
Correction: Macho Man was in the Cardinals and Reds organizations during his minor league career...

jake33
05-20-2011, 01:18 PM
untimely death is always sad, not overly suprised about Randy.

Obscure facts/rumors:

He actually was a fairly short guy.

He didn't have the kindest words about Liz when she passed a while back.

Rumored to have gotten into a fight with Hulk the night before Wrestlemania IX, Hogan showed up witha black eye for the event

Had a real life disagreement with Honky Tonk man, Honky refused to lose to IC title to him. To make up for not getting him the belt, the WWF had Randy win at Wrestlemania IV. DiBiase was supposed to win it, and to make it up to him, they created the million dollar belt

Hawk from legion of Doom and him also had a real life feud, Hawk was not shy about calling macho man a "miserable" person - rf shoot interview...

Was on the losing end of 2 matches that are deemed some of the best in wrestlemania hisotry, Vs. Warrior in 1991 at WM 7 and vs. Steamboat at WM3

Runner up at 1993 royal rumble

botched the finish at WM10 vs. Crush, he didn't tie the rope tight enough and crush fell

Was also upset at HBK at WM10 for running a match too long, which caused the timing of the event to be off

jake33
05-20-2011, 01:19 PM
Also,

Ultiamte Warrior was the wrestler signed on for the slim jim commercials which ran for a couple months, When warrior was fired in 1991, Savage took on the role.

freddiefreeman5
05-20-2011, 01:22 PM
Snap into a steroid.........I mean a Slim Jim. :o

otismalibu
05-20-2011, 01:31 PM
He looked a little different w/o the dye and accessories.

http://cdn.sescoops.com/wp-content/uploads/randy_savage_wedding_01_0005_Layer_3_full.jpg

sammy
05-20-2011, 01:42 PM
That was a lot of information from a die hard fan, I presume.

http://www.amazon.com/b?%5Fencoding=UTF8&site-redirect=&node=256994011&tag=colmor-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325

both-teams-played-hard
05-20-2011, 01:45 PM
Snap into a steroid.........I mean a Slim Jim. :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQjdHUX2T4c

trsent
05-20-2011, 01:56 PM
During his time in the WWF ring, he was one of the most entertaining sports entertainers of all time. His later jump to WCW changed his character and persona, which was too bad because he never regained the in ring charm and charisma he once had.

Even a great like Rowdy Roddy Piper has been able to keep his part time character interesting years after his heyday, but Macho Man just became another number.

It is sad to hear of his passing today. He is a true legend and it is sad to see his name go up on the dead wrestlers web sites.

Lokee
05-20-2011, 05:40 PM
One of my all time favorites. RIP Randy

camarokids
05-20-2011, 06:01 PM
He used to come into my dad's service station in St. Pete all the time. The sweet blonde that was his girl in the late 1990's was so beautiful & innocent looking. I remember drooling over her when she would come into to pay for gas or get a drink. She was soooo fine. Then after going out with MM for awhile, he and the wrestling life turned her into a slutty looking ho.

R.Mansfield
05-20-2011, 06:24 PM
Macho Man was definitely one of the best of all-time. I place him on a short top 5 list. He had a great persona, personality, in-ring ability, athleticism…

I almost enjoyed him more when he was doing some of the voice commentary for the WWF in the early-mid 90’s. Within the grand realm of the wrestling world, he always came off as intelligent and interesting.

His persona did change in the 90’s, but so did everyone else in wrestling, the target audience moved.

As far as the blonde, I believe that was probably Gorgeous George (Stephanie Bellars), who he found when she when she working in a strip club. She didn’t exactly start off as one of the Brady girls…

Nonetheless, I don’t think that Macho receives the respect he should. Yes he did do steroids, but I am unaware of any other criticism or controversy within his life.

It was Miss Elizabeth who became mixed up with drugs and died after they split in Lex Luger’s home, away from Savage.

I don’t think Vince McMahon and the WWE gives him the recognition he deserves, as they do with other “Legends”.

I will miss him greatly, he is truly one of the best Wrestlers and Entertainers of all time IMHO.

Russell Mansfield
batdna@sbcglobal.net

camarokids
05-20-2011, 09:18 PM
As far as the blonde, I believe that was probably Gorgeous George (Stephanie Bellars), who he found when she when she working in a strip club. She didn’t exactly start off as one of the Brady girls…

Russell Mansfield
batdna@sbcglobal.net

Wow another stripper. There seems to be so many of them in the Tampa bay area. I did not know she was a stripper. She put on a nice facade when I saw her at the station.....

Shipp_96
05-20-2011, 11:25 PM
I loved his "Snap into a Slim Jim" commercials, as well as his role in the Spider-Man movie, which I thought he played the role of "Bonesaw" (what an awesome name) to a tee!

schubert1970
05-21-2011, 05:36 PM
He looked a little different w/o the dye and accessories.

http://cdn.sescoops.com/wp-content/uploads/randy_savage_wedding_01_0005_Layer_3_full.jpg

Are you serious? That's him?

BostonSportsFan
05-21-2011, 08:13 PM
Are you serious? That's him?

That is in fact The Macho Man. It was taken at his wedding about a year ago. Time has not been too good to him but that is the toll pro wrestling taken on its members

freddiefreeman5
05-21-2011, 10:11 PM
That is in fact The Macho Man. It was taken at his wedding about a year ago. Time has not been too good to him but that is the toll pro wrestling taken on its members
That is the toll steroids and human growth hormones will have on you.

BostonSportsFan
05-21-2011, 10:31 PM
That is the toll steroids and human growth hormones will have on you.

And abuse of prescription pain killers a career of 20 - 30 years being on the road 300 nights per year, sure it is scripted but the abuse these guys take with their high flying moves and years of travel, injuries, etc. and then the pain killers and as mentioned roids and HGH etc. that is the end result if they even make it to 58 which as mentioned few seem to ever do.

calgrad1999
05-21-2011, 11:33 PM
- Had a real life disagreement with Honky Tonk man, Honky refused to lose to IC title to him. To make up for not getting him the belt, the WWF had Randy win at Wrestlemania IV. DiBiase was supposed to win it, and to make it up to him, they created the million dollar belt

I believe that following Summerslam, the Ultimate Warrior beat the Honky Tonk Man for the Intercontental Belt in 30 seconds. I don't remember Honky Tonk doing much in the WWF after this. Perhaps the disagreement with Savage, along with all the trouble he put McMahon through to rework Wrestlemania IV, ruined Honky Tonk's career.

It seems like yesterday I went to see Randy Savage at the Cow Palace in 1993. He jobbed out to the Giant Gonzalez, who lasted in the WWF for less than 2 years if I recall correctly.

Vince McMahon - Don't cross the boss!

calgrad1999
05-21-2011, 11:45 PM
In addition to trying his hand at Baseball, Endorsements, and Acting, Randy Savage also cut a couple of rap albums. He recorded a song titled, "Be a Man", where he took Hulk Hogan to task.

Did you guys know that when Miss Elizabeth passed away, she was Lex Luger's fiance? When the police searched his house after the incident, they found hundreds of bottles of steroids in his possession.

freddiefreeman5
05-22-2011, 07:29 AM
And abuse of prescription pain killers a career of 20 - 30 years being on the road 300 nights per year, sure it is scripted but the abuse these guys take with their high flying moves and years of travel, injuries, etc. and then the pain killers and as mentioned roids and HGH etc. that is the end result if they even make it to 58 which as mentioned few seem to ever do.
It wasn't worth it.

trsent
05-22-2011, 11:31 AM
It wasn't worth it.

Funny, but to many of them who live the life it must be worth it.

The spotlight. The women. The glory.

freddiefreeman5
05-22-2011, 05:41 PM
Funny, but to many of them who live the life it must be worth it.

The spotlight. The women. The glory.

ALL GLORY IS FLEETING<B>

"For over a thousand years Roman conquerors returning from the wars enjoyed the honor of triumph, a tumultuous parade. In the procession came trumpeteers, musicians and strange animals from conquered territories, together with carts laden with treasure and captured armaments. The conquerors rode in a triumphal chariot, the dazed prisoners walking in chains before him. Sometimes his children robed in white stood with him in the chariot or rode the trace horses. A slave stood behind the conqueror holding a golden crown and whispering in his ear a warning: that all glory is fleeting."
- Gen. George C. Patton
</B>

Jags Fan Dan
05-23-2011, 03:20 PM
As a Reds minor leaguer:

camarokids
05-24-2011, 03:37 PM
here is another pic of him without the black hair dye.....

scroll down some....

http://www.tmz.com/2011/05/20/randy-savage-car-accident-macho-man-dead-dies-died-killed-wwe-wrestler-florida/

trsent
05-25-2011, 02:31 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/110524

Bill Simmons may write long articles, but he may also be the best in the business today.

momen55
05-25-2011, 07:09 PM
As a Reds minor leaguer:

where did you find the photo? i have been looking for one to add to my florida stuff!

gingi79
05-25-2011, 09:01 PM
I saw him once up close and person in the 80's. Say what you want about Wrestling but Randy had a great voice and personality for the WWF and was highly entertaining. His OOOHHHH YEAH catchphrase is classic.

For full disclosure, Miss Elizabeth was the first woman I ever thought was beautiful. Even to this day, I think she is epically gorgeous. The fact she was his woman made me verrry envious of the Macho Man.

otismalibu
05-25-2011, 10:07 PM
where did you find the photo? i have been looking for one to add to my florida stuff!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1105/randy.savage.rare.photos/content.1.html

momen55
05-26-2011, 10:56 AM
thank you.

sox83cubs84
06-30-2011, 09:51 PM
The autopsy on Macho Man was completed earlier today, and the medical examiner indicated that it was purely the work of a heart problem that cost Savage his life.

Savage was found to have an enlarged heart and massive blockage of his coronary arteries.

Physical injuries were minimal from the crash and, while Savage did have traces of alcohol and one other substance in his system, the amounts of each were not sufficient to have had an impact on the accident.

RIP, Randy Poffo...the Macho Man was a legend in the old WWF (now WWE).

Dave Miedema

baltimorewashington
05-04-2012, 01:30 PM
I have a couple of the Macho Man's ring worn tights and jackets for trade for other wrestler's ring worn wrestling items.