PDA

View Full Version : Anybody receive any items from JO's first auction?

Mulligans
05-04-2011, 06:45 PM
I see the 2nd auction is up and running.....Anybody receive their items from the first auction?

kprst6
05-04-2011, 07:07 PM
There are 2 of my 3 favorite NFL players in the auction and I already own my #1 favorite... Are these items originating from JoSportsCo or are they being consigned? I see a consigner login section but it doesn't say where the items originated.

mad87man
05-04-2011, 07:59 PM
I haven't but should tom. so i will update if i do. What did you win?
I believe future auctions will offer cosigned items but they are still new and figuring the bugs out by doing their own stuff.

Mulligans
05-04-2011, 08:31 PM
I haven't received anything yet but won the Moreno, Jackson and Asomugha.

mad87man
05-04-2011, 08:54 PM
That Moreno looked SWEET. Congrats on the pickup.

Mulligans
05-05-2011, 07:37 AM
It looks like the first attempt at reserve pricing didn't work out so well? My best guess is the reserves are now built into the bidding?

During the last auction, I was surprised to get so many phone calls from JO near the end of the auction telling me that I was close to the reserve???

Today.....I can't ever recall placing so many bids and being instantly outbid on so many items.

That may explain so many bids so quickly into the start of the auction?

JO if that is not the case......My apologies and please let us know. Wouldn't it be easier to just let us know the reserves up front and keep everyone happy?:)

DaBears54
05-05-2011, 07:57 AM
My tracking number says I should receive my jersey tomorrow. Let's hope UPS is right!

Tyrcha
05-05-2011, 08:31 AM
My Anthony Adams showed up last night with a couple other goodies I picked up. I should have pics up tonight in the Bears thread. :D

dplettn
05-05-2011, 10:06 AM
It looks like the first attempt at reserve pricing didn't work out so well? My best guess is the reserves are now built into the bidding?

During the last auction, I was surprised to get so many phone calls from JO near the end of the auction telling me that I was close to the reserve???

Today.....I can't ever recall placing so many bids and being instantly outbid on so many items.

That may explain so many bids so quickly into the start of the auction?

JO if that is not the case......My apologies and please let us know. Wouldn't it be easier to just let us know the reserves up front and keep everyone happy?:)

When making guesses, it is always best to educate those guesses with what you know about the culture and character of the subject you are making guesses about. In my contact with Jarrod Oldridge, he not only fails to apologize for factually dishonest (and blatantly unethical) sales practices on the part of his staff; he takes pride in it. So if I were to make a guess as to what to expect if I chose to bid, I’d assume every effort in the world would to be made to take advantage of me.

Factual accuracy should matter to a company like JO, IMHO. In its Bengal product line though, an item is offered with a “grass stain” for a game played on turf. Far less concerning than other historical misstatements within the same line, but still demonstrating a lack of attention or care for detail.

In the context of knowing that dated photo matches were purported by JO for other items when existence of such dated photo-matches were factually untrue, I think there are a lot of elements to consider with regard to what JO is, and isn't.

It is my personal opinion that candid, unabbreviated discussion about JO would benefit the venue and the hobby. One prior thread was closed, with a purported photo-match from JO added my moderators after closure. My photo rebuttal was provided to moderators but moderators chose not to add my photo, nor factual comments to the thread (as they did for JO). Ironically, its the misleading text and photo that were added post-closure and survive on the venue. The portion of a helmet sited as a photomatch (however belated) was presented in the moderators voice to be unique when in fact such was standard. Promises by JO to make further statements about the helmet after getting it back from an expert were not honored but the helmet is for sale.

I would argue that JO’s organizational culture is very acutely focused on short term profits.

Mulligans
05-06-2011, 05:45 AM
As usual some real nice Jerseys......I have been looking for a nice TO but was slightly hesitant on this one.

"Jersey shows great use with ball and hit marks on the jersey."

If I remember correctly....this was the game where TO ran one route on the opening play of the game, tore his meniscus and was out for the season.

Maybe the great use came in pre game warmups or the date was marked wrong?

perlman9
05-06-2011, 06:26 AM
I keep hoping they will throw a Michigan State alum in the mix! But looks like they add a lot of great items each month. A nice idea on their part to get market value on some items while still being able to keep premium pricing on others..

buckeyegamers
05-06-2011, 08:23 AM
I keep hoping they will throw a Michigan State alum in the mix! But looks like they add a lot of great items each month. A nice idea on their part to get market value on some items while still being able to keep premium pricing on others..

I just hope they have done away with the hidden "reserves" on some of the jerseys......after the first auction was complete there were a number of "pass" on the final bid, even though there were a number of bids. I can only assume that they placed a hidden reserve on those jerseys and the final high bid did not reach their reserve price. I can understand setting a reserve...BUT at least make it know up front that there is a reserve on a particular item. jsu my 2 cents work :)

perlman9
05-06-2011, 09:43 AM
I didn't realize that. I guess i never understood reserves as why not just set the opening bid at that price? I guess to try and get a bidding ware going?

Mulligans
05-06-2011, 03:26 PM
The guy selling the item is always going to whatever it takes to get the highest price possible for himself or his clients and thats why reserves are common.....You certainly don't want to give away something for way below market.

The first Auction they had reserves on only the big name players, but they were not forcing the bids up to the reserves....(other than calling us to let us know we were close)

It appeared to me that in this present Auction that the house was actually bidding against me on some of the big name players.....That was my impression and I am still waiting for JO to tell us differently. (I know that they don't miss a beat on the Forum).

I really hope that is not the case as that is a good way to Alienate your present customers.....Thats why noone likes AMI any more because you will always be bidding against the house up to the reserve....Hey I know that it is sometimes necessary, but still leaves you felling that you were somehow violated.:eek:

All this aside, I do understand that JO is trying to figure out the Auction process and iron out the bugs. I am willing to cut them a little slack until they figure out what works best.

josportsco
05-06-2011, 06:53 PM
Thanks for all of the replies. There were few reserves on the first auction while we are trying to get some kinks worked out. The auctions moving forward will not have reserves for the most part. There may be items that have reserves in the future. I am not going to mislead anyone and say that we will be running a 100% non reserve auction. But we will not bid your item up to the reserve or participate in any shill bidding. I would like to hear from everyone whom placed a max bid and won the item well below their max bid. Hence NO SHILL BIDDING.
When we start taking consignments there may be instances where we must put a reserve on an item. I hope this clears up some of the questions. Again the whole goal here is to offer quality sports memorabilia in a auction format to let the collecting community bid or pay what they precieve the value and to have fun with it. Rest assured we are not going away from our current model and will continue to sell most of our equipment from the website. I was hoping to throw in a little twist for everyone to have fun with. thank you

JO

buckeyegamers
05-06-2011, 06:59 PM
What's wrong with merely stating in the listing whether or not a specific lot has a reserve set on it? I think most of us understand the need for a reserve on some items but I also think bidders should know BEFORE they bid uf there is a reserve

mad87man
05-06-2011, 07:07 PM
Recieved mine today and looks great. Was very pleased and can't wait to bid on some more stuff from them.