PDA

View Full Version : Game used gloves , how do you know a fake from real???

camarokids
08-28-2006, 10:44 AM
Hi , I have a question . What is stopping someone from buying a pro model glove and having a players name sewn into the leather and then play catch with it for awhile to give it "use" . Then turn around and sell it as a game used item for that particular player . Has anyone ever seen this happen before ? :):):):):):):):)

ahuff
08-28-2006, 04:34 PM
I am by no means an expert in game used gloves. However, I do have one which I purchased from Locker Room Memorabilia. That is they only way to go, as they get photos of the athlete signing the glove and state when and where it was signed and what season it was used. They also include any significant notes about the season or game an item was used. Also, many of their items show tons of use, unlike many of the ones you see on the market from similar companies. If they have light use, they clearly state so.

Also, I know I have tried locally to find a place that would stitch my son's name into his glove. I was told by everyone I asked that they were unable, as the leather was too difficult for their machines to go through. Not saying it couldn't be done, but it certainly wouldn't be very easy to have done.

Airtron1
08-28-2006, 07:41 PM
a guy named the glove doctor can do it i found him online and he made a replica glove for me a few years back couldnt tell the difference between that glove and a gamer kinda scary i got it signed and still have it today incase your wondering it was a carlos baerga glove

Airtron1
08-28-2006, 07:43 PM
here is the link scroll down 80 bucks for the service
http://www.thesportsdoctor.com/GD.html
one reason gloves scare me

rose14
08-29-2006, 10:28 AM
Having a name or number stiched into a glove is fairly easy to do or get done. There are several leather or tack shops that could do it. The problem is in order to get something stiched into a glove it has to be done before the glove is constructed. You can't take a ready made glove and then have it stiched as the needle can't penetrate through the thickness of the glove. These are stiched into the piece of leather and then constructed with the other parts of the glove. Rawlings also offers this service on custom made orders.

For the most part, MLB players use professional model gloves which are fairly hard to come by. I have purchased a glove from a member of the Florida Marlins for my own personal use. It would be very difficult to obtain a pro player model glove and then take it apart (taking the stiching out) and have someone stich a name and number or flag and then put it back together. In my opinion most of the gloves you see on the market were made for the specific player, but are not game used and are extras that are given or sold by the player.

island_style
08-30-2006, 04:30 AM
Having a name or number stiched into a glove is fairly easy to do or get done. There are several leather or tack shops that could do it. The problem is in order to get something stiched into a glove it has to be done before the glove is constructed. You can't take a ready made glove and then have it stiched as the needle can't penetrate through the thickness of the glove. These are stiched into the piece of leather and then constructed with the other parts of the glove. Rawlings also offers this service on custom made orders.

For the most part, MLB players use professional model gloves which are fairly hard to come by. I have purchased a glove from a member of the Florida Marlins for my own personal use. It would be very difficult to obtain a pro player model glove and then take it apart (taking the stiching out) and have someone stich a name and number or flag and then put it back together. In my opinion most of the gloves you see on the market were made for the specific player, but are not game used and are extras that are given or sold by the player.

I have a Heart of the Hide glove that was customized by Rawlings. You can select your own size, model, web, flag, colors for shell, palm, welting, lace and thread for personalization. Other options are a finger hood, palm pad, sweatband, etc. I don't know if they will personalize it with a pro player's name. I didn't even ask as I had my name stitched on in script. Even if the glove you ordered matched the same style as one already offered by Rawlings, but you wanted to change the colors (lace, thread, welting, etc), it would have a different model number.

Ron.
Rsamiano@aol.com