PDA

View Full Version : Kaz Matsui Game Used bidding????

suave1477
08-28-2006, 09:09 AM
( This is just my opinion )
I am not judging anyone on what they want but just some items I do beleive get way higher premums then they should I just thought I would hrow this out there as I dont understand the Market for it. Funny enough I pointed out a similar item a few months back that sold for about the same amount.

There is Kaz Matsui Game Used Mets Jersey in Auction right now and bidding is up to $701.00

I cant imagine this being Mets fans or Just baseball memorabilia collectors driving this up so high. I think at this point Kaz is just about one of the worst players in baseball or close enough to it. My only possible rationale for this is possibly the asian fan base driving it up, but even they have to realize hes not all that great????????????

TNTtoys
08-28-2006, 09:49 AM
My opinion on the Kaz Matsui jersey being bid up to ridiculous prices is that there might be somne overseas bidders who are driving it up... Kaz was a star in Japan before his disasterous stint with the Mets, and those who grew fond of him over the years may be actively looking for his game used memorabilia.
A similar story with the "better of the Matsuis" -- the Yankees recently extended Hideki's contract and paid dearly for him... Many of us shook our heads at the money he was offered -- he is good, but not worth the money as compared to his peers... but the Yankees weren't stupid... they knew they could make that back in no time due to selling Matsui fan gear to Japanese buyers.

suave1477
08-28-2006, 10:03 AM
I agree with what your saying about Kaz, I do disagree what your saying about Hideki. Your comparing apples and oranges and you say he is not as good as his peers, how do you figure that he hs out performed all of them in 2005 except for ARod, which to me is no big deal bcuz he still played better in clutch situations then Arod does.

So where are you getting your information from?

ham1963
08-28-2006, 10:08 AM
Talk about prices look at Julio Franco. Should a player at that level demand such high prices. Just a thought
John

suave1477
08-28-2006, 10:13 AM
Well where is the Julio Franco? What is it up too?

psmachetti
08-28-2006, 10:15 AM
I wonder about some of the prices for jerseys in the hobby. $700 for a Kaz Matsui is a bit ridiculous. I recall seeing a couple of Prince Fielder minor league jerseys on this site and the seller is asking for over a $1000 on each one. What basis is used for setting some of these prices we see?
Paul

TNTtoys
08-28-2006, 12:38 PM
I don't think I was clear regarding a prior post -- Hideki came to mind not because of the caliber ballplayer he is, but for the fact that he has a very strong Asian following and potentially sells more MLB merchandise to overseas markets. The Yankees knew that locking him up for a multiple year contract, especially at his age, was a good investment. There was a lot of chatter at the time that 13 million per year was a bit inflated -- until one realized how many intangibles he brought to the franchise.
Clearly he is one of the more talented players of the game, but by 'his peers,' I was simply referring to the current players who made the same salary... or even players that are of a higher caliber than him that earn less than him -- Ichiro, Big Papi, Vlad Guerrero, Pujols, Johan Santana, Derrek Lee, etc. But given the big picture, he probably generates more revenue than these guys.

DonFan23
08-28-2006, 07:40 PM
Point well-taken on Hideki, TNT. There is much to gain from Japanese TV feeds and the advertising around the ballpark.

However, one thing that many don't realize is that merchandise for all teams is overseen by MLB Properties, and that revenue is distributed across the board, not on a percentage-of-overall-sales basis.