PDA

View Full Version : Game Used bats without any Mota, Pine, or Tape

anj1027
04-18-2011, 08:34 PM
Interested to see if any MLB players don't use any grip aids.

Do any of you all have any examples of these? Or, if not, do you know of players who don't use any grip aids like mota, pine tar, or tape?

WadeInBmore
04-19-2011, 09:59 AM
Frank Thomas very rarely used any gripping aid on the bat itself...once in a blue moon you will see an item of his with very light light application of tar, normally only enough to alter color more than anything else (evident in early career blond/natural colored bats). He does use batting gloves though...so perhaps that was the trade off.

Wade

BULBUS
04-19-2011, 12:14 PM
Bernie Williams barely used anything.

stlbats
04-20-2011, 08:04 PM
David Eckstein used very little tar if any at all.

Jason

jobathenut
04-20-2011, 09:03 PM
I dont know what mota is.But i have a jason giambi bat that has little if any pine tar and has no tape at all on the bat.

anj1027
04-21-2011, 12:16 PM
I dont know what mota is.But i have a jason giambi bat that has little if any pine tar and has no tape at all on the bat.

Mota refers to the "Manny Mota" stick that a lot of players use these days on their bats in place of tar. It is less liquidy and more of like a glue stick type thing. Whereas many use tar up in the middle of the bat and grab that spot if they need a stick, players usually simply put the mota stick right where their hands go to provide some tack.

The thread with Ryan Braun's bats has examples of what Mota stick residue looks like.