PDA

View Full Version : Grey Flannel Spring Auction Is Up!

Danny899
04-18-2011, 01:46 PM
Bidding opens today for the Spring Grey Flannel Auction. There are some real cool and rare pieces in there! Check it out.

Dan

sammy
04-18-2011, 03:10 PM
Sounds like a plan.

http://www.amazon.com/b?%5Fencoding=UTF8&site-redirect=&node=256994011&tag=colmor-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325

momen55
04-19-2011, 08:35 AM
who is a contact person there? there is one lot i found that is not correct.

legaleagle92481
04-19-2011, 09:32 AM
who is a contact person there? there is one lot i found that is not correct.

dont bother reporting it. they have banned people from bidding in the past that questioned their items. including members from here.

momen55
04-19-2011, 09:43 AM
i have already found 3 lots in question and i wasn't even looking very hard. very obvious to the discrepencies just by looking at the photos they have.

i called and spoke to tj about these and told me he would have someone look into them. i have never nor will i buy from an auction house. i'd rather buy from ebay and here.

Baseball83
04-19-2011, 10:01 AM
There are some great items up for auction !

Mulligans
04-19-2011, 02:09 PM
You would rather buy from E bay than Gray Flannel?.....Not me man!

Authenticating Jerseys or other items that are from a career that spanned 20 years and in some cases took place 30 years ago is not a perfect science and none of the Auction houses are perfect.

They do their best to Authenticate based on their past experience and expertise. At the end of the day their reputation is ultimately on the line and I'm sure that they take great caution evaluating their Auction items.

In my opinion and the opinion of many that have shared their thoughts on the Forum before me.........Grey Flannel delivers one of the best overall Auction Experiences around. Their Auctions consistently realize the best prices, provide the best Customer Service and usually have the best items to choose from.

commando
04-19-2011, 02:45 PM
Let me ask a question here....

If one of us thinks an item doesn't look right, is there anything wrong with posing the question to forum members? In other words, in the case of a questionable style, tagging, etc., can't you ask the opinions of fellow forum members who may be knowledgeable with certain teams? Assuming the auction house has already issued an LOA with the item, one can assume they are happy with the research that was already done on their end.

I don't see this as "calling out an auction house." I see this as looking for opinions from those who may have additional knowledge right here on this forum.

Mulligans
04-19-2011, 03:05 PM
Commando....You should absolutely be able to ask questions about specific items because there are some great resources on here and the Auction Houses don't always get it right. I don't consider that calling anyone out at all.

That being said, from time to time new guys on the Forum will just say things like...."All their stuff is bad" without ever sharing their opinion about what is specifically wrong with an item.....I've noticed a lot more of these comments in the last few weeks on the forum.

In my opinion, If you don't like something, don't be afraid to say it, but you really should be able to be more specific about certain issues that you feel exist with an item.

Titans74
04-19-2011, 03:47 PM
Anyone with opinions on the Palmeiro Rangers jersey? Good, no good, middle of the road?

legaleagle92481
04-19-2011, 07:15 PM
I think some people prefer Ebay because there is no BP and items go for less. For the seller Ebay sucks but for the collector its gold. Obviously one has to do their homework even more because there is much more bad stuff then you would find in a major auction houses auctions but for good stuff its a great place to add to one's collection. Alot of my best stuff is from Ebay and if that stuff was from an auction house I would have had to pay much, much more for it. In fact alot of stuff that originated at major auction houses or NFL Auctions I obtained on Ebay for a fraction of the original price. Given the choice as a high end collector who knows what he is buying I prefer Ebay.

primeradriver
04-19-2011, 11:06 PM
I think some people prefer Ebay because there is no BP and items go for less. For the seller Ebay sucks but for the collector its gold. Obviously one has to do their homework even more because there is much more bad stuff then you would find in a major auction houses auctions but for good stuff its a great place to add to one's collection. Alot of my best stuff is from Ebay and if that stuff was from an auction house I would have had to pay much, much more for it. In fact alot of stuff that originated at major auction houses or NFL Auctions I obtained on Ebay for a fraction of the original price. Given the choice as a high end collector who knows what he is buying I prefer Ebay.

This is pretty much how I feel. As with everything on eBay, as long as know what you're doing it's gold.

Titans74
04-20-2011, 01:08 AM
Anyone with opinions on the Palmeiro Rangers jersey? Good, no good, middle of the road?

Anyone? Would love to hear some input before I make a serious run at it.

Baseball83
04-20-2011, 08:09 AM
It is a great item. The provenance is directly from Palmeiro himself with his letter. The jersey and pants exhibit great use. I personally have viewed this uniform.

halzeus
04-20-2011, 08:42 AM
I've looked through the Grey Flannel FAQs, but couldn't find anything.

Are there hidden reserve prices on Grey Flannel items?

Thank you.

legaleagle92481
04-20-2011, 08:51 AM
I've looked through the Grey Flannel FAQs, but couldn't find anything.

Are there hidden reserve prices on Grey Flannel items?

Thank you.

no. whatever item sells for is price buyer gets it at plus bp, shipping and tax, where applicable. if yiu bid minimum and noone else bids the items yours. the house does not bid on behalf of its consignors.

halzeus
04-20-2011, 01:33 PM
Thanks you for the info.

This is my first time bidding in a Grey Flannel auction.

sammy
04-20-2011, 02:18 PM
One more piece of info.

If you want to bid on any of the Premier Lots, they will want to verify your ability to pay. They did me via a bank account. Not sure if they have other ways.

http://www.amazon.com/b?%5Fencoding=UTF8&site-redirect=&node=256994011&tag=colmor-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325

halzeus
04-24-2011, 04:37 PM
When bidding on an item in the Grey Flannel auction, is it better to use the ceiling bid option, or manually bid?

Thanks for any info.

halzeus
04-25-2011, 01:36 PM
The Gerald White 1986 Big Ten Championship ring I bid on has been removed from the auction. No details or reason.

legaleagle92481
04-25-2011, 07:01 PM
When bidding on an item in the Grey Flannel auction, is it better to use the ceiling bid option, or manually bid?

Thanks for any info.

Bid manually for as close to the minimum as possible then in the OT bidding bid your ceiling. I say this because you have to bid in regulation to be allowed to bid in ot and if you bid your ceiling in regulation especilly days or weeks in advance it won't hold up so I always say throw as small a bid as possible out there in any lot your interested in early to reserve right to bid in ot.

ferrisfain41
04-27-2011, 03:03 PM
LOOKING FOR SOME ADVICE on auction 'world'

Thinking about putting two items up, Stan Musial flannel 67 and Daryl Spencer flannel 56. They are really one of a kind.
\
Wonder if I get the best final price from auction, or continuing to use our Forum to find buyer who gets the value and will pay for it?

Comments, and Dave, if you are out there, chime in
Use this forum to reach me , I'll keep looking daily. I value your opinions
Thanks

sox83cubs84
04-27-2011, 07:39 PM
[quote=ferrisfain41;248618]LOOKING FOR SOME ADVICE on auction 'world'

Thinking about putting two items up, Stan Musial flannel 67 and Daryl Spencer flannel 56. They are really one of a kind.
\
Wonder if I get the best final price from auction, or continuing to use our Forum to find buyer who gets the value and will pay for it?

Comments, and Dave, if you are out there, chime in
Use this forum to reach me , I'll keep looking daily. I value your opinions
Thanks[/quote

My only concern is that the C2C section limits sale prices to $500 or less, and both items would be likely to be valued higher.

If GUU ever resumes their auctions, the exposure wouldn't be as widespread as eBay, but you'd have more true collectors viewing your items and a lot fewer nickel and dimers.

If GUU doesn't resume, you colud try other auction houses, such as Huggins & Scott, Lelands, or maybe MEARS.

Dave Miedema