PDA

View Full Version : April 15, 2000

ironmanfan
04-15-2011, 08:59 PM
I know it's been discussed on various threads over time about the significance of 04/15/47, with the MLB debut of Jackie Robinson. I just wanted to share with the board, the most significant April 15th in my lifetime, that being 04/15/00....

Being a huge fan, I wanted to witness in person the 3000th hit in the career of Cal Ripken Jr. Prior to the 2000 season, Cal sat on 2,991 hits (9 shy). I did some research prior to the year and noted that "on average," Cal got his 9th hit of the season in the 9th game. The 9th game that year was a road game in KC and I subsequently made airline and ticket reservations for such....Needless to say, Cal started the season out slow and there was no way it was going to happen in KC. Their next stop on their road trip was in Minnesota at the Metrodome and I had no choice but to change my plans and head there.....It was a weekend series and going in, Cal sat on 2,996 hits......I was there Friday night and saw Cal get one hit closer.....On Saturday, 04/15/00..Cal needed 3 hits....He made an out his first time up, BUT fortunately, he got hits in his next 3 AB's to reach the coveted 3,000. I didn't realize it at the time, but since his consecutive streak ended a couple years earlier, the Orioles had planned on sitting Cal on Sunday with the hope that he would get career hit 3000 in Baltimore that Monday (a game I could not attend due to work commitments). In other words, if Cal didn't get those 3 hits Saturday night, I would have missed it.

OK, to make a long story short, flash forward to a few years ago when I told Cal this story (who takes vacation days to go to Minneapolis in April?)...Shortlly thereafter, Cal while renovating his office, found a bag full of memorabilia (including the uniform he wore that night) relating to that 3,000 hit game in Minnesota, which included approx. a dozen balls that were actually used in the game.

Remembering the story I had told him a year or so earlier, he actually remembered my tale and actually signed and noted one of those game used baseballs from that night "To Bill, Thanks for being there for # 3000." Needless to say, it is an item that is very special to me..

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/whhp72/Game%20Used/ebay018.jpg
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/whhp72/Game%20Used/ebay019-1.jpg
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/whhp72/Game%20Used/ebay021-1.jpg

jobathenut
04-15-2011, 10:20 PM
Thanks for sharing that story.That was great that he remembered you and signed that baseball for you.I would have thought the hall would have wanted his uniform-very nice story-thanks:)

b.heagy
04-16-2011, 05:51 AM
SWEET ! That is an awesome story. That has to go right up there with one of your most coveted items. Just awesome..........

tigerdale
04-16-2011, 10:27 AM
Great story....wow!!!

bdeol4
04-16-2011, 01:41 PM
Thats awesome! wonder how many players would do that now a days? Not many at all i'd figure.