PDA

View Full Version : Met Vs. Rockies 4/14/11

64SHEA
04-15-2011, 07:14 PM
Me an my niece where at the Mets double header yesterday sitting in the 1st row behind home plate right next to the Rockies dugout. In between the first and second game Jason Giambi and Jonathan Herrera signed batting practice balls for us. Also in the second game Todd Helton game us a foul ball whiles on deck. Thought I would share.

http://i836.photobucket.com/albums/zz288/thebeast1011/Mets%20Vs%20Rockies%204%2014%202011/MetsVsCol4-14-11107.jpghttp://i836.photobucket.com/albums/zz288/thebeast1011/Baseball%20Memorabilia/IMG_9484.jpg

sox83cubs84
04-15-2011, 09:57 PM
Glad you shared this story. When you've got as many baseballs as myself or many of the Waveland Avenue bunch have over the years, it's easy to forget how just one can be a lifetime memory to a youngster.

Dave Miedema

jobathenut
04-15-2011, 10:11 PM
Hey dave----Its a thrill for even the youngster inside.As the biggest thrill i got was when in 2006 the week of the 4th of july.Me and my brother had our first yankees road trip and we went to cleveland to take in the yankees series vs the indians.And for the first time ever for me or him we got a baseball during the game.We were sitting 1st row down the first base line and during the game then yankee kevin green made a catch for a out and flipped it to my brother.It made the amount that it cost to go on the trip worth it.I still have not got a ball yet for all the games i have gone to as a child or as a adult.I could have got a ball myself later in the same game,but the dousch ump (and i called him it) did the normal "look for the kids" and gave it to some kid who was sitting 20 rows up.I still have the ball and its in a case with the ticket.And i am sure the ball that the ump gave to the kid is underneath the cars seats or a chew toy for thier dog.....

sox83cubs84
04-16-2011, 03:44 PM
Hey dave----Its a thrill for even the youngster inside.As the biggest thrill i got was when in 2006 the week of the 4th of july.Me and my brother had our first yankees road trip and we went to cleveland to take in the yankees series vs the indians.And for the first time ever for me or him we got a baseball during the game.We were sitting 1st row down the first base line and during the game then yankee kevin green made a catch for a out and flipped it to my brother.It made the amount that it cost to go on the trip worth it.I still have not got a ball yet for all the games i have gone to as a child or as a adult.I could have got a ball myself later in the same game,but the dousch ump (and i called him it) did the normal "look for the kids" and gave it to some kid who was sitting 20 rows up.I still have the ball and its in a case with the ticket.And i am sure the ball that the ump gave to the kid is underneath the cars seats or a chew toy for thier dog.....

I know the feeling, Joba...and then some. In a game at old County Stadium in the late 1990s, another guy and I were reaching for a foul ball on the ground that was just out of both of our reaches. Along comes umpire Jerry Meals, and not only does he take the ball and give it to a brat a couple sections over...he makes a big show of dramatically snatching it away from both of us, before either of us could reach it. What a prick!!:mad: :mad: :mad: Don't just take the ball out from under us, but turn it into theater at our expense!:mad: :mad: :mad: Of course, while I got mad, I also got even...I won't say how, though.:D :D :D .

Dave Miedema

ruhoos
04-16-2011, 04:04 PM

I've got a 4th of July story as well...Was at the Nationals-Mets back in 2005 (Nationals' first year) at RFK Stadium in DC. Was sitting in the first row of the upper deck just to the left behind home plate. John Patterson threw a pitch to Marlon Anderson who fouled one straight back and into my waiting hands.

Caught the ball on the fly...stared at the ball in complete shock and then held it up in the air while the stadium cheered for me, even though I was wearing a Mets jersey.

Immediately following the game, my girlfriend begged me for the ball. I refused and I'm glad I did, we broke up a month later.

Have the ball in a case sitting in my living room. Not sure if there's a more "special" piece of memorabilia in my collection.

sox83cubs84
04-17-2011, 02:10 AM
I've got a 4th of July story as well...Was at the Nationals-Mets back in 2005 (Nationals' first year) at RFK Stadium in DC. Was sitting in the first row of the upper deck just to the left behind home plate. John Patterson threw a pitch to Marlon Anderson who fouled one straight back and into my waiting hands.

Caught the ball on the fly...stared at the ball in complete shock and then held it up in the air while the stadium cheered for me, even though I was wearing a Mets jersey.

Immediately following the game, my girlfriend begged me for the ball. I refused and I'm glad I did, we broke up a month later.

Have the ball in a case sitting in my living room. Not sure if there's a more "special" piece of memorabilia in my collection.

I hear ya...I said goodbye to basseballs given to several girls I was dating in my 20s (before I met my wife) who decided I was "friend" or "big brother" material.

Good decision!:D :D

Dave M.