PDA

View Full Version : BMH- Willie McGee C271

onlyalbert
04-15-2011, 06:09 PM
Brian, I have a 34 inch 32.8 oz blonde LS Willie McGee. McGee in block letters. Trying to get a close manf. date on it. The previous owner says it may be from his first game.....Thanks.

MSpecht
04-15-2011, 06:21 PM
Albert--please post pics of the center label and barrel label, and is the end cupped or round.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

onlyalbert
04-16-2011, 11:22 AM
Albert--please post pics of the center label and barrel label, and is the end cupped or round.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

Mike, e-mail sent. Thanks.

MSpecht
04-17-2011, 06:05 PM
This batappears to have 'new large label' centerbrand (you can confirm if it has side-to-side measurement of 4 1/2 inches instead of 3 7/8 inches)...If so, the available records show the following--- the earliest order matching the bat (Flame Burned Finish... 34 inches...C271 cupped) would be 7.28.1981 when McGee was at Nashville. Folllowing that, two orders matching the bat were sent in April 1982 to McGee in Louisville. Then an order to McGee in winter ball (Licey) in Sept 1982. In Feb and Aug 1983 matching orders were sent to him with the Cardinals... Note that due to H & B switching their order system to a data-based system in 1981, there is a small gap in McGee's records from 8/15/80 to 7/28/81 (minor leagues). Earlier orders of C271 and C271C do not match this bat with regard to finish... This is probably a minor league McGee bat, but to know for certain the date that he signed an endorsement contract would need to be known, and it is not reflected in his records. McGee was block letter only through the 80 - 83 label period based an all known examples, and signature only from 83-85 period forward, again based on known examples. This would lead to a conclusion that he became an endorsement player sometime in 1983 or early 1984. This is a very nice early McGee bat regardless... Mike

onlyalbert
04-17-2011, 10:21 PM
This batappears to have 'new large label' centerbrand (you can confirm if it has side-to-side measurement of 4 1/2 inches instead of 3 7/8 inches)...If so, the available records show the following--- the earliest order matching the bat (Flame Burned Finish... 34 inches...C271 cupped) would be 7.28.1981 when McGee was at Nashville. Folllowing that, two orders matching the bat were sent in April 1982 to McGee in Louisville. Then an order to McGee in winter ball (Licey) in Sept 1982. In Feb and Aug 1983 matching orders were sent to him with the Cardinals... Note that due to H & B switching their order system to a data-based system in 1981, there is a small gap in McGee's records from 8/15/80 to 7/28/81 (minor leagues). Earlier orders of C271 and C271C do not match this bat with regard to finish... This is probably a minor league McGee bat, but to know for certain the date that he signed an endorsement contract would need to be known, and it is not reflected in his records. McGee was block letter only through the 80 - 83 label period based an all known examples, and signature only from 83-85 period forward, again based on known examples. This would lead to a conclusion that he became an endorsement player sometime in 1983 or early 1984. This is a very nice early McGee bat regardless... Mike

Mike, thanks for your help on this. I checked Gettys all the way back, but could not find much. If anyone else knows where to find some early shots....

bigtruck260
05-11-2011, 11:49 PM
I used to own a block letter McGee bat that matches that description. Have plenty of pics of it. I sold it because Jeff Scott and I deduced that it was a pre-Cards bat that likely never saw use in an MLB game. LMK if you want to see it.

Dave

onlyalbert
05-14-2011, 10:35 PM
I used to own a block letter McGee bat that matches that description. Have plenty of pics of it. I sold it because Jeff Scott and I deduced that it was a pre-Cards bat that likely never saw use in an MLB game. LMK if you want to see it.

Dave

Dave, e-mail me at Lakeside62401@hotmail.com